Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
It sounds totally fun.

the game play sounds solid. do give it a listen.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcast/episode/podcast-35/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Podcast, podcast.... where is the VIDEO?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh boy does this sound good. We've been doing a bit of collective theorizing and digging through the promotional material/pics in other threads and feel like we have a good grasp of some of the central mechanics. This podcast confirmed a lot of our predictions.

I'm so psyched for this game. Corey also said that the game was the closest FFG has ever come to a worker placement game. Not that it is worker placement per se, but that the leaders act as workers - you need them to do just about everything.

Their discussion about the hidden nature of the rebel base makes the game sound even more awesome too, and confirmed more details about the probe deck.

Probe Deck:

- Contains a card for each planet/system on the map
- Rebel player chooses one card from the deck, this denotes the starting location of the hidden rebel base. This card is removed from the deck and kept face down
- Imperial player draws 2 cards from the probe deck each round, eliminating planets/systems as possible locations of the base.
- Other effects such as missions like...

This leads onto awesome bluffing and subterfuge between the players. The rebel player may start amassing troops and units around a particular system, hoping that the Imperial player may take the bluff and think that that's where the base is. But the rebel player doesn't know which cards have been 'probed' by the Imperial player. Maybe they know for a fact that the base isn't there. Do they counter-bluff and 'take the bait' or do they ignore it because they know it's not there?

Also there was more information about the track along the left side of the board. We now know that this tracks the game rounds and also the loyalty score of the rebel player. I think they said you need to get to 14 loyalty to win as the Rebel player, but you can also gain additional loyalty through missions - speeding up your victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:

This leads onto awesome bluffing and subterfuge between the players. The rebel player may start amassing troops and units around a particular system, hoping that the Imperial player may take the bluff and think that that's where the base is. But the rebel player doesn't know which cards have been 'probed' by the Imperial player. Maybe they know for a fact that the base isn't there. Do they counter-bluff and 'take the bait' or do they ignore it because they know it's not there?
wow I love that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Satellite
Low Earth Orbit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F**** this sounds cool. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One the one hand this sounds like a ton of fun.

On the other hand it definitely doesn't seems solo friendly (except for Han of course).

Back to the first hand, given the theme and the fact that the rules are pretty straight forward, I should be able to find people to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb
Awesome.. so envious that they got to play the game. The Probe deck sounds awesome and super thematic, just like everything else we've heard so far.

Can't wait for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
I haven't listened to this podcast yet and so I don't have a ton of extra info on the gameplay yet, and I haven't had a chance to play the new Star Wars Risk that some have said is a re-do of The Queen's Gambit, but does someone who has done both of these things want to compare/contrast Rebellion/new SW Risk? I'm curious to hear about both games. It seems like Rebellion will be more up my alley, but I've heard really good things about SW Risk so far as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the guys from SUSD are the only ones we know that have officially played Rebellion so far and talked about it, you will have a hard time finding people who played both right now...

As far as I see it, Risk is a lot simpler and "family friendly" (see the playtime for indication) and since it is a simplified version of Queen's Gambit (mainly Hand Management and dice rolling), it will just not scratch the same itch as Rebellion will (strategy, resource management, "worker placement", mission cards, deduction elements, etc.). Rebellion will just be the much deeper and complex game.

But that is just my impression without having played either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
I haven't listened to this podcast yet and so I don't have a ton of extra info on the gameplay yet, and I haven't had a chance to play the new Star Wars Risk that some have said is a re-do of The Queen's Gambit, but does someone who has done both of these things want to compare/contrast Rebellion/new SW Risk? I'm curious to hear about both games. It seems like Rebellion will be more up my alley, but I've heard really good things about SW Risk so far as well.
I meet your qualification of having listened to the podcast and owning Risk: Star Wars. They are very different games. The Risk game is very light and fast playing. Our games last about 20 minutes. Rebellion is listed as 3 to 4 hours.

Risk is mostly a tactical space combat game with the Endor track and the duel being of lesser importance and only contribute to the space battle.

Rebellion is more a strategic game of hide and seek with some combat and area control thrown in. The Empire needs to find and destroy the Rebel base. The Rebels only need to survive until a given turn, and that turn can change over the course of the game.

In terms of theme, Risk covers the final battle of Episode VI while Rebellion covers the entire original trilogy, with three decks if cards, one for each film.

I can easily recommend Risk as a great little game, sort of a filler. It's only $25 on Amazon for the regular version.

I will likely be buying Rebellion too for when I want something bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Bunnies & Burrows RPG fanMicrobadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: Rabbit ownerMicrobadge: El-ahrairahMicrobadge: Harvey fan
The Star Wars: Rebellion discussion starts at 5 minutes and ends a bit after 27 minutes. But listen to the whole thing because the way they excitedly talk about Star Wars: Rebellion and Star Wars: Armada and Fury of Dracula is infectious. Except stop listening at about 44 minutes unless you want the first six months of Pandemic Legacy spoiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
jbbnbsmith wrote:
I meet your qualification of having listened to the podcast and owning Risk: Star Wars. They are very different games. The Risk game is very light and fast playing. Our games last about 20 minutes. Rebellion is listed as 2 to 3 hours.

Risk is mostly a tactical space combat game with the Endor track and the duel being of lesser importance and only contribute to the space battle.

Rebellion is more a strategic game of hide and seek with some combat and area control thrown in. The Empire needs to find and destroy the Rebel base. The Rebels only need to survive until a given turn, and that turn can change over the course of the game.

In terms of theme, Risk covers the final battle of Episode VI while Rebellion covers the entire original trilogy, with three decks if cards, one for each film.

I can easily recommend Risk as a great little game, sort of a filler. It's only $25 on Amazon for the regular version.

Cool, thanks! A bit surprised to hear SW Risk is that quick of a game. It looked like there was a bit more to it. I still might check it out though. Your description of Rebellion seems perfect for my group though.

Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
jbbnbsmith wrote:
I meet your qualification of having listened to the podcast and owning Risk: Star Wars. They are very different games. The Risk game is very light and fast playing. Our games last about 20 minutes. Rebellion is listed as 2 to 3 hours.

Cool, thanks! A bit surprised to hear SW Risk is that quick of a game. It looked like there was a bit more to it. I still might check it out though. Your description of Rebellion seems perfect for my group though.

Can't wait!
I think the box for Risk:Star Wars says 30 minutes. Keep in mind that this game is NOT Risk at all.

And just to be clear, the description I posted about Rebellion is based only on what I have heard others say about the game as I have no first hand experience. I was just summarizing what I've read on FFG website and what I heard in the podcast. Hopefully what I wrote is accurate.

You should definitely listen to the podcast when you have the chance. If the little but I wrote sounds exciting you will be truly excited when you hear these guys talk about the game. Their enthusiasm is undeniable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls