Circus Train (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Is Circus Train worth the money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

Is Circus Train 2nd edition worth the 60 bucks asking price(mainly for 2p)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
Microbadge: "Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice." —Mohandas K. GandhiMicrobadge: The revolution will not be televisedMicrobadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: Public Enemy fanMicrobadge: Banksy fan
I purchased the polybag version for much less. Can't speak to 2p, since I have only played 4+. It certainly is a fun and original game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Circus Train is a fun game and it plays fine with 2. My wife and I have played it with no issues.
Is it worth $60? To me no, more like $40 but I am used to buying most of my games via online sources so I am not used to pay full price for stuff.

The quality of the components is very good, it could have used a slightly larger box but nothing that would break the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
SumoBobFrisco wrote:
I think Circus Train is a fun game and it plays fine with 2. My wife and I have played it with no issues.
Is it worth $60? To me no, more like $40 but I am used to buying most of my games via online sources so I am not used to pay full price for stuff.

The quality of the components is very good, it could have used a slightly larger box but nothing that would break the deal.

Were can you get this game for 40 bucks? I thought only VPG sold this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
At $60 try before you buy - that would be my general advice for any game, not just Circus Train.

That said, I personally really enjoy this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme and design. Kinda hoping for a VPG Flash sale on this one though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
blakflag wrote:
I love the theme and design. Kinda hoping for a VPG Flash sale on this one though...
They have flash sales? how much off do their games go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
blakflag wrote:
Either 20% or 30%. It may vary by game. I've seen them on their FB page a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Badigel wrote:
blakflag wrote:
Either 20% or 30%. It may vary by game. I've seen them on their FB page a few times.
I think it was last week since a few days ago I checked and circus was for around 58 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Victory Point Games site they sell the game for $69.99 for the boxed game and $48.99 for the bagged game. They are a few online sites that carry VPG games and you can get them for cheaper. Like CSI had circus train boxed edition in stock at one time for $49.99.

The VPG site will have sales usually about once a month. Sometimes it is only on select games and other times it is on everything. Just last week I think they had 20% off anything they had.

As far as cost yes $69.99 is a lot to pay for a game. I think the second edition games from VPG are pretty good component wise. I really do like their chunky laser cut cardboard counters I think they are better than the counters you get in most other games. The quality of the cards is pretty good also.

I also look into the fact that VPG is a small games publisher and they also produce everything for their games. So when you buy a game from VPG it is made in the USA(not counting the new version of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition which they are doing out of house) which is pretty rare.

I bought circus train second edition at a convention and paid $55 dollars for it I think. I don't regret it as each time we played it we have enjoyed it. Of course just like every game I own it needs to get played more.

I don't remember if I ever played it two player. I would not buy it to play solo only as the solo game is alright but I like it multiplayer better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
I still think it was a mistake for GMT to drop this off it's P500 list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
mrbeankc wrote:
Please explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
mrbeankc wrote:
Wasn't their call - VPG wanted it in print and had just got their laser cutting table, and made Circus Train their first gold banner line game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
Wasn't their call - VPG wanted it in print and had just got their laser cutting table, and made Circus Train their first gold banner line game.
That's a bit of an oversimplification. Circus Train had stalled around 440 P500 orders IIRC, and it looked like it would be a long time, if ever, before GMT would be able to print it. At that point, VPG and GMT sat down and talked about it and GMT agreed to let VPG publish it using the fancy new equipment you mention.

Joshua Gottesman
Business Manager
Victory Point Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a backer for GMT's P500 campaign and I was bummed when it was dropped by GMT. Then I tried it at Gen Con 2013 with prototype components and thought it was pretty good, but not good enough to pay full price when it came out. Then I picked up a copy at an auction and after 5 or so plays my thoughts are:

1) Component quality is fantastic. The laser-cut tokens (tons of them) are so much better than standard die-cut cardboard. They really feel like wood. The same is true for the board. Very impressive. I wish more of my games had this level of quality. Castles of Burgundy, for example, would be more fun to play with thick boards and counters.

2) It's fun as a cut-throat game with 4 or 5 people playing the advanced rules, messing with people, and enjoying the theme.

3) It's fun as a solo game, but I really only tried that once.

4) A 3-player game with 2 non-gamers became a little repetitive and boring for them.

5) I never played it with two players, but I think it would be fun. It'd definitely be much less confrontational because it'd be pretty easy to avoid each other. I was hoping to try it with my wife, but too many new-to-her games recently to fit this one in now.

6) There's a lot of math (simple counting) involved. I'm a math teacher, so I don't see that as a drawback, but some people might.

7) I think the rule book is good, but like a lot of other games, the advanced rules are presented after the regular rules and so you end up flipping back and forth to find the exceptions.

8) I'd suggest watching some of the videos on BGG and listening to Geof Gambill's "The Long View" podcast on Circus Train to get a sense of the game.

9) I'm at a point now where I'm trying to sell/trade games that I've enjoyed but might not play a lot in the future and so yesterday I put Circus Train up on BGG Marketplace. I also have it listed for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
That's a bit of an oversimplification. Circus Train had stalled around 440 P500 orders IIRC, and it looked like it would be a long time, if ever, before GMT would be able to print it. At that point, VPG and GMT sat down and talked about it and GMT agreed to let VPG publish it using the fancy new equipment you mention.

Joshua Gottesman
Business Manager
Victory Point Games
Ok, I'll rephrase my comment. I wish GMT had gone ahead and published this. Nothing against your edition Joshua but it would be a bit easier to get a copy. My wife thinks this sounds cool so it might be a good game for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boom Chakalaka
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SumoBobFrisco wrote:

Do I have the wrong edition, then? ...because the quality of my board stinks. I have to use post-it tape to keep it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bellynice wrote:
SumoBobFrisco wrote:

Do I have the wrong edition, then? ...because the quality of my board stinks. I have to use post-it tape to keep it together.
Did you contact VPG about the board quality so they can address the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to euros of similar price ...no

But as an excellent game worth every Sheckle...

Wonderful game and the designer notes introduced my wife and I to a book that we both absolutely loved ...

I am a huge fan of VPG new upgraded games ...but not so much a fan of the price we pay in Europe ...also I find most VPG games I have purchased to be consistantly good games ...

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Indeed. Their games are constantly good but constantly expensive.

I finally managed to get a used copy for 49 euros including shipping to France.

Peisistratous wrote:
Compared to euros of similar price ...no

But as an excellent game worth every Sheckle...

Wonderful game and the designer notes introduced my wife and I to a book that we both absolutely loved ...

I am a huge fan of VPG new upgraded games ...but not so much a fan of the price we pay in Europe ...also I find most VPG games I have purchased to be consistantly good games ...

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls