Subject: The Possible Return of WHQ!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just read this here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/670148.pag...

Looks legit! Whilst it doesn't specifically mention WHQ it does at least give us all a glamour of hope that it will be one of the 'many more' that do get picked up, especially with the popularity of other dungeon crawlers right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
You can expect anything from GW these days. There's no logic in their releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ComposerMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Runebound PBF playerMicrobadge: Writer
Sometimes I really think if you gave GW a sack of cash, they'd reply, "Great! We were running out of toilet paper!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It might happen, but I don't believe Warhammer Quest was ever designed as a complete product.

It lets you use the low level stuff, orcs, skeletons, etc, and has an interesting experience system to allow you to rise through the levels. Problem is, at higher levels you might encounter a dragon, a pair of wyverns, 5 ogres, etc. So who actually has those miniatures? And who is going to spend the thousands of dollars on them, when they pop up on a random table (may not ever show up)?

Don't get me wrong, I have WHQ, I love the game, it's great, but it's not really expandable or sustainable, and I don't think it was designed to be either. Even Space Hulk could get new missions, require a pack with a few new rooms, a new boss monster or something. Because there's no experience involved, a genestealer on your first mission is the same as a genestealer on your 50th mission. It's still easy to shoot from a distance and will still shred you up close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is one of the things I really loved about WHQ. No matter what extra minis I had lying around, you could always introduce them in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculation: maybe they aren't seeing as much movement from AoS as they would like (who knows, stock prices seem to be trending up). Maybe they realize that the idea of abandoning their image as a game company was a bad move (could have been brilliant, I don't know).

I check their main site every now and then and thank the lord I don't have any vested interest in AoS. The prices are straight up ridiculous. Big boxes of minis still averaging out to more than $10 a mini is just straight up nuts. Anyone who would pay those prices is either addicted or ignorant of existing alternatives, IMO.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - anything less than the original won't get much attention from me. I would be fine if they updated the models, updated the classes, etc, but it better still have all the Old World charm. Maybe some kind of splintered timeline thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Big boxes of minis still averaging out to more than $10 a mini is just straight up nuts.
Since you seem (rightly so) to find the prices ridiculous, I have to warn you that releasing re-vamped versions of holy grail games like Necromunda, Epic, or Battlefleet Gothic is very likely to redefine the term "ridiculous prices", even for GW standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
Big boxes of minis still averaging out to more than $10 a mini is just straight up nuts.
Since you seem (rightly so) to find the prices ridiculous, I have to warn you that releasing re-vamped versions of holy grail games like Necromunda, Epic, or Battlefleet Gothic is very likely to redefine the term "ridiculous prices", even for GW standards.
Yes, very aware of that. I did enjoy Necromunda, but I still have my old first edition, so no worries there. Honestly at this point I'm not really sure what they could do with WHQ that wouldn't be a disappointing let down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
The Dungeon
Warhammer Quest
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
If Warhammer Quest was going to be available, i imagine it would have been listed with Blood Bowl, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer wrote:
If Warhammer Quest was going to be available, i imagine it would have been listed with Blood Bowl, etc.
It does state that only some games were listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Out with the past and in with the future. Is that how that saying works? The Quest games seem to work regardless of universe and HeroQuest -> Warhammer Quest was a big change... Maybe the next Quest game will be different as well and still live up to the spirit of the series. Then again, a new one might follow the jinx the even numbered releases have thus far on Quest games... Or I am anticipating a repeate of the reception Advanced HeroQuest has. Then again... Would we consider Advanced HeroQuest to be a spin off like WarhammerQuest the card game?

If they do another Quest entry, I'd like to see a fresh take. Thus far it sounds like GW is inclined to mine the nostalgia currently bracing the company. I had no idea so many hobbyist could be upset on furthing the fluff of Warhammer Fantasy, especially since their models were kept current. Maybe it's the love of point based army creation, which is as flawed as any system of army creation for the purposes of fun. StarCraft, for instance, was patched and nerfed and tweaked for a decade or more because of our habit of finding the "most winning" combination of stuff for an open game such as a skirmish strategy game is.

Then again, maybe hobbyists prefer to go backwards, as evidenced by the 30k reception. Interesting I say, what the future holds for our gaming tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls