Recommend
108 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions and some answers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only had the opportunity to play the tutorial and the first quest so any thoughts I have on the game may change as I get more plays in. As far as I know we only made one real rules mistake (not drawing gear cards when drawing dungeon cards with the small treasure icon on them), we also forgot to implement the rule from quest 1 which lets the party add 4 progress tokens to the current location every time Odious Grump is defeated. We basically made the game a bit harder for us.

How does the theme feel? Does it capture the feel of a dungeon crawler?
Yes and no. It certainly feels like you travel with a party of adventurers through dungeons, crypts, caves and other dark places. There is a real sense of progress as the party travels from locations to location, events are triggered. The fact that you can engage enemies already engaged with other characters strengthens the feel that you are all in the same location fighting for your lives. However, it does not capture the feel of moving minis around a tile based map. I'm not sure a card based game ever could manage that though and as such I don't see it as a flaw.

Are there significant choices to be made or is it just a dice fest?
This is where the game really shines in my opinion, almost no action made by any of the players were made without first discussing tactics with the rest of the party. Have a look at the pic below containing the basic actions for the Waywatcher. See how Deadly Shot (attack) and Orion's Hunt (explore) has the potential of messing with enemies engaged with other players or in the shadows (the shadow zone is the zone in the middle of the table containing all enemies spawned but not currently engaged with a character). Shadow Watch (aid) naturally affects other players since that's the purpose of the aid action (you can't perform aid on yourself).



With her attack, the Waywatcher could potentially draw an enemy engaged with the already beat up Bright Wizard and save her from an early demise. Orion's Hunt let's you exhaust a troublesome foe (exhausted enemies in the shadow zone don't activate in the enemy phase).

There is always lots to do but with only one action per player before the enemies get to activate the choice is seldom straight forward. There is a really good amount of tactics and team work in this game.

Alpha leader problem?
All coop games can suffer from this to some extent. However, I think WHQ has so much going on on any given turn that one player would have a hard time keeping up with every enemy, character ability etc. Compare this to, say, Pandemic where everyone has a clear view of the board and every character has one or two special actions that are easy to remember and take into account. If I play WHQ with three other players who each are engaged with three enemies it would be really hard for me to tell them what to do.

Do the monters feel different from each other?
A resounding yes! Take a look below. Remember that keywords below the art are resolved left to right in the enemy activation phase.



Let's take a look at the Giant Bat. It does one damage (blue, left side) and has one hit point with no armor (red, right side). When engaged with the player this enemy forces the player to roll one black die (as all monster do, at least those we have encountered) when the character resolves an action. It does one damage if a hit is rolled. When this enemy activates in the enemy activation phase it first retreats to the shadow zone if it was engaged with a character and then inflicts damage (one point worth of damage in this case) to the character activating it (players take turns activating one enemy until all have been exhausted). Note that the Giant Bat has a special rule that it cannot suffer damage while in the shadow zone and it is not discarded when the party travles (normally, non-nemesis enemies in the shadow zone are discarded when the party resolves a location).

What we found with the giant bats is that while they are easy to kill when engaged with you there are almost always bigger threats to deal with. The bats would just stick around, pile up and bleed the party slowly. Pretty thematic.

The Ghoul is pretty cool, it does no damage in the enemy activation phase, instead it causes the player it is currently engaged with to suffer the disease condition. If it is not engaged with any character it advances (engages) the player activating it.

The Goblin Warrior (elite) hacks away at the characters and then engages the player who has currently suffered the most damage.

The Gigantic Spider exhausts your actions if it is left in the shadow zone forcing you to engage it to avoid it's special action. Having your actions exhausted is very, very bad.

Ok, don't have time to type anymore right now. I'll probably add some stuff later today.

Edit: 13/11

Play time and player count
The first quest took about two hours which is a lot longer than it should take when everyone has the rules down. It's certainly a unique experience to have a rules question and not being able to find the answer on the geek. The long play time was because: us learning the rules a bit as we went on, forgotting to add progress tokens from defeating the boss and generally talking a lot. 1 hour to 1.5 hours is what we expect.

We were four players. I instantly felt that this is the preferred number of players for me in this game. I'll try solo later on and I'll probably play it two and three players also but four players felt really good. There was very little downtime and we had lots of opportunities to discuss tactics. I can compare this to Pandemic where I've tried all players counts (except solo) but prefer two players by a good margin. In Eldritch Horror I prefer three players.

Solo play
I have not tried solo play but will do so in the future. I think it will play very well solo (no hidden info or negotiation) but I wonder how many characters one can manage? Two should not be a problem at all but playing solo with three or four, that might be a bit much when it comes to administration. For me at least. I'm sure someone who plays, say, Ghost Stories solo with all four monks or Arkham/Eldritch Horror with four characters would be able to do it with no issues.

  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the first-hand preview, much appreciated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Mythologem wrote:
Thanks for the first-hand preview, much appreciated.
Very much agree! Thanks for this first impressions thread.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, moite!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
Bra jobbat, tack. thumbsup
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks a lot. This really sounds interesting. My only concern now is replayability. May I ask you to write a few lines regarding that topic? I know you did not play much, but can you make an estimate?

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time of writing this
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
The artwork looks deep, thematic and consistent. I like what I see.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think it would play well solo?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Total War: Warhammer fanMicrobadge: Street Masters: Rise of the Kingdom fanMicrobadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Altar Quest fan
Thanks for showing off some of the cards and sharing your experiences. The boat carrying this game can't arrive fast enough!

How long did the first quest take you and what was your player count?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a short update with my thoughts on play time, player count and solo play. Thanks for the thumbs everyone!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per. E
Sweden
Falkenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello

As another swede with access to this little pearl i have tried it some in solo playing, so far i have delved two scenarios into the campaign
Played the first scenario two times and these are my toughts.

I will try to keep them as spoiler free as possible whistle

Our mighty Heroes

For Solo play you are instructed to use two heroes, each activating two times a round before the monsters.

So as the true son of the empire wich i am there where no hard choices in wich two heroes would delve the dark sewers, and since there where no witchhunter in the game(shaaaaame) i choose the Warrior Priest and the Bright Wizard

What is that smell? Quest 1

First quest is actually a bit harder solo due to just using two heroes, the mechanics relies a lot in bursts of damage on top of the usual exploring this get realy hard with just two heroes.
Even tough you get two activations the limited use of actions prevents you from quickly handling the biggest threat in this quest.
Still second try came a lot closer on the wire so i dont say it is impossible, the bright wizards lack of good exploring might also be a factor here.

..or how i learned to love the warpstone. Quest 2

The campaign continues on whether you win or lose and you still get a trip to the "beautifull" city of Schompf (ask us about our view on carnies) having the oportunity to gear up for the next quest.
So armed with some new experiences and items our brave heroes once more returned to the sewers.
This quest was much better suited for solo play, not as quick in pace and more decisions to affect the rythm of the quest (Do i press on or rest some more?)
None the less in the end victory was won on the wire and thinking back a few lucky finds was what really turned the verminous tide (Who places a stack of gunpowder barrels in the sewers?)

So the first quest made sure an annoying git of an enemy will hound me the rest of the campaign while the second gave me a change to find some epic loot in the future.

Some toughts

So far the game have felt great and i eagerly await some time to sit down with Quest 3.
They are pretty quick as well (Both played in around an hour)wich makes sure that you might actually finish a campaign before all players get bored of it (Looking at you Imperial Assault/Descent)

So far there is also plenty of good old Heroes/Monsters i would love to see so big expansion possibilities in the future hopefully
31 
 Thumb up
0.35
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok this needs to get shipped in the US asap... I've got an order at CSI that is just waiting for this to show up. Between this, Arctic Scavengers, Ultimate Warriorz and Timeline Challenge I'll be getting a good infusion of a variety of game experiences.

But this is the one I have been wanting most of all for a few months now. Let's go FFG; Runebound finally came out so let us have this one now please!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
Where I’m supposed to be
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Managing 4 characters in SofM, I think I got this.

Ok chums, let's do this... LEEEEEEEEEERROY JENKINS!!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something about Sweden and Warhammer :)

I tried this with a group of 3 friends yesterday. We played the first scenario as the priest, the mage and the dwarven warrior. I agree with the rest of the opinions and will add it feels like Lord of the rings LCG but without the deckbuilding aspect. But it also capture the feel of a dungeon crawl, every time you explore you are a little bit excited not only do you get progress on your location you also draw a dungeon card with potential more dangers or...... LOOT! The monsters have individual programming (on the card is a action sequence) which gives them thematic behavior, very cool.

There is the excitement of dice and a potential awesome high five roll but also with the prepare action you can migrate a lot of the randomness if you prefer. There is no deckbuilding, the configuration comes from gear and training between the scenarios which felt like a cool way of making the character you own. It doesn't have the massive options as a deckbuilder but is more easily accessible.

For me the first game had an edge over "Pathfinder the card game", it doesn't have as many options and a epic character arc but it feels more thematic. The current quest events, the enemy behaviors the party synergis. The only negative thing I can say is that I want more box content, the box is very small and feels very much like a starter set. But this is FFG we are talking about so we probably don't have to wait to long :)
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey! Nice write up, where'd you get your copy? I live in Sweden as well... but I've a hard time convincing any retailers to distribute before OK from FFG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't, it wasn't my copy :(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
this thread makes me so happy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Steelman wrote:
...For me the first game had an edge over "Pathfinder the card game", it doesn't have as many options and a epic character arc but it feels more thematic.
Please tell me that there are more tactical/strategic decisions that Pathfinder because - character progress aside - that was a total snooze-fest. The fact that you say it has the "edge" worries me somewhat. I'd like it to be significantly better...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: ComposerMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Runebound PBF playerMicrobadge: Writer
JJWonderboy wrote:
Steelman wrote:
...For me the first game had an edge over "Pathfinder the card game", it doesn't have as many options and a epic character arc but it feels more thematic.
Please tell me that there are more tactical/strategic decisions that Pathfinder because - character progress aside - that was a total snooze-fest. The fact that you say it has the "edge" worries me somewhat. I'd like it to be significantly better...
You can check out the previews to get a good idea of how it plays. It's not "go to a location, draw a card, and roll dice." You have enemies in front of you to manage, different types of actions with various effects that require planning, and the mechanisms aren't designed around simply rolling extra dice. It also doesn't have the overabundant and disappointing use of blessing cards ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Please tell me that there are more tactical/strategic decisions that Pathfinder because - character progress aside - that was a total snooze-fest. The fact that you say it has the "edge" worries me somewhat. I'd like it to be significantly better...
I think there are quite a few strategic and tactical decisions in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. They aren't that interesting to me, and they often seem artificial or mechanical. But I don't think the game lacks decisions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Steelman wrote:
...For me the first game had an edge over "Pathfinder the card game", it doesn't have as many options and a epic character arc but it feels more thematic.
Please tell me that there are more tactical/strategic decisions that Pathfinder because - character progress aside - that was a total snooze-fest. The fact that you say it has the "edge" worries me somewhat. I'd like it to be significantly better...
Well i think there is more of teamwork aspect since you are all at the same location and you can use actions to protect support or get an enemy to move from another players engagement zone to your own. You also choose which order to activate enemies which has obviously an big impact on the result. There are also times when you want the timing to be perfect for instance you want leave the location at the same time that a pervil phase-event triggers (because of some synergy effect between the two). I would say that this games feel more like a puzzle and reminds me of "ghost stories" in some ways. That's the best analogy I can think of the game feels like "Lord of the rings LCG + Ghost stories"-light :)

but again this is after one play
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Steelman wrote:
...For me the first game had an edge over "Pathfinder the card game", it doesn't have as many options and a epic character arc but it feels more thematic.
Please tell me that there are more tactical/strategic decisions that Pathfinder because - character progress aside - that was a total snooze-fest. The fact that you say it has the "edge" worries me somewhat. I'd like it to be significantly better...
This is of course always a question of matter of opinion, but I personally can not stand the Pathfinder card games. Way too abstracted for my taste, and just, well, boring.

After playing the first quest of Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game today I can safely say I prefer it vastly. It definitely has more "RPG dungeon crawl feel" to me, and it has plenty of meaningful decision.
Mind you, some times the decisions are easy enough, and it is not a brain burner like, say, Mage Knight.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuge fan of Shadowrun Crossfire. I recommend people check it out.

The whole quick setup, playing with few cards, less than 60 minute gameplay, persistence, and total co-op strategic game really drew me in. One minute you can be in a 'OMG this is the end moment' only to coordinate a complex series of attacks that demolish everything. In the end you still cant believe you just pulled that off.

Warhammer Quest seems to be going for the same kind of mechanics. Cant wait to try it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Barros
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any comparisons to the boardgame?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |