Mark Wassell
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (who is 6) and I decided it would be fun to play the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TNMT) boardgame.

The game itself is fairly simple. Get to Shredder and be the first to kick his shell, as it were.
There are 2 variants within the game. The first is the simple version with a 6 side die to deal with all the die rolls. The second variant includes specific dice to roll when fighting different enemies. It also has a health system, whereby each turtle has 3 health tokens. When they are all used up you have to retreat to a part of the board before setting off again.

We used the second variant as it's a bit more involved and fun.

Essentially the board is separated into 4 different routes to Shredders HQ. There are 2 tunnels running around the outside of the board, and two roads running through the middle of the board. It is possible to interchange from one route to another using ladders to get to and from the tunnels, and to go around buildings to get to the other street routes.

Each route has a number of tiles which are placed faced down. There are yellow tiles for the tunnels and red tiles for the streets. There is also a separate section called Baxters Lab, these have orange tiles. You can either visit the lab from the street or get teleported there as a result of finding a tile action that sends you there. This place is usually a large time sink as there is nothing really significant in there, so it's a place to best avoid.

Each time you land on a sqaure that contains a tile - the tile is turned over and you see what the action is. It could be a beneficial item, like pizza for wound healing or a key card to get into Shredder's HQ. Or it can be a neutral tile - like a go again tile. Most likely though it is an enemy which must be dealt with in combat. Cowabunga!

Each adversary has a number which is used to calculate how many dice they roll. The turtles have their own dice too and the two results are compared and the winner is the one with the highest net score.

If the enemy is wounded they are removed from the board and the player goes again. If the turtle is wounded then one of thier health counters is turned over to "I'm wounded". Once all 3 are turned over the turtle returns to the turtle lair (if they are in the first half of the board) or to the middle of the board (if they were in the final half).

This procedure is continued until Shredder is confronted in his HQ and defeated.

The good thing about the game is it's about mutant ninja turtles kicking shell and it's straightforward. So it's easy for young players to play with adults and thier own peers. It's light, fun, and amusing at times.

It's bad points are it's light, not involved and monotonous.

So for adults the fun bit is playing the game with the children. Because the game relies so heavily on luck - the children do have a chance of winning, which is good. But it does make for an uninteresting gamplay experience for the adults, so just have fun with the kids. I've played it with my son a few times and we both enjoy it and the interaction.

Hang loose ninja dudes ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: TMNT - a game which really can be played by all the fami
Perfect! My son is 6 on April 19th...I purchased the game on ebay for him...still in shrink wrap...exactly what a TMNT obsessive fan needs-great, informative review thanks! Will post game AAR here...heh who did I get it for...;^)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Andersson
Sweden
Dalby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My five-year-old loves this game! It's his favourite game. He wants to play it almost every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.