Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Advice of some magnets I'm about to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm about to buy some magnets.
This ones are the ones that Timothy Buckley used here. And I want to do something quite similar.

But I'm from Spain, so I was looking something along those lines here in Spain, I have found this ones

They have:
Diameter: 1,5 mm(0,0590551)
Height: 0,5 mm(0,019685)
N45

You think those will work?I ll magnetize only the arms, not the wrist(I think I'll screw every model if I try XD), and maybe heads and torsos but not sure yet, for sure I'll magnetize arms.

Thank you!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom De Bruycker
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say watch this blog.

http://macharianthunderguard.blogspot.be/2015/09/kingdom-dea...

Found all the magnets on ebay, german sites.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome link! Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find some of those magnets on Amazon Spain.

2mm x 1mm
2mm x 2mm

Although I don't know if they're good or not.
Good luck!
After seeing several people magnetize their miniatures, it seems it's the best thing to do.
However seeing how small those magnets and the pieces of the miniatures are, I'm sure that if I did it I would be looking for magnets and pieces on the floor... gulp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernado wrote:

Although I don't know if they're good or not.
Good luck!
After seeing several people magnetize their miniatures, it seems it's the best thing to do.
However seeing how small those magnets and the pieces of the miniatures are, I'm sure that if I did it I would be looking for magnets and pieces on the floor... gulp
Not just that, one small wrong error drilling and you ruin the figure. No thanks.

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:
Hey, I'm about to buy some magnets.
This ones are the ones that Timothy Buckley used here. And I want to do something quite similar.

But I'm from Spain, so I was looking something along those lines here in Spain, I have found this ones

They have:
Diameter: 1,5 mm(0,0590551)
Height: 0,5 mm(0,019685)
N45

You think those will work?I ll magnetize only the arms, not the wrist(I think I'll screw every model if I try XD), and maybe heads and torsos but not sure yet, for sure I'll magnetize arms.

Thank you!!
I'm glad someone else is asking about this.

I've been able to successfully magnetize almost everything and it looks pretty good with a few important issues.

I used 1/16" x 1/32" for most of my work. Larger on the waist to get better contact. These work out well for the arms and neck (a few issues with a few of the heads where they don't fit well into the chest due to either initial size off the sprue or possibly some stretching after drilling?).

The biggest issue are the hand/wrist interface and a further complication of large weapons.

For most male model arms, you can drill 1/16" into the arm without trouble. However, the slightly more slender female arms break/bend/stretch even when drilling perfectly down the center in some models (larger armor sets might not have this trouble). After this issue, I went after some 1mm magnets instead and was able to much more successfully use those on the female arms. However...

The 1mm magnets work well for smaller items such as daggers, hands, and lanterns. However, larger items such as Zanbatos and the like don't get sufficient force on a 1mm by 1mm join to keep the hand/grand weapon pointed in the appropriate direction (it droops sadly to the tabletop). On the other hand, the (destructive to the arms) 1/16" magnet has just the right amount of force to keep grand weapons in the desired position.

Has anyone else run into this and come up with a good solution?

That aside, recessing the hole in the arm to accommodate two magnets looks great as the magnets are both completely hidden. Also, be sure to check where you want to drill your arm magnet holes. Going flush to the arm at a 90 degree angle results in arms that are jammed tight against the torso as if you're in a tight hall that you can barely fit your shoulders into. You really want to get in at a bit of an angle from the top instead to allow some play and a "ready stance/flex" look.

Anyone else's experiences or advice?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
I don't recommend the 1/16" for waists, I went with 1/8x1/32" and they work MUCH better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Teamski wrote:
Bernado wrote:

Although I don't know if they're good or not.
Good luck!
After seeing several people magnetize their miniatures, it seems it's the best thing to do.
However seeing how small those magnets and the pieces of the miniatures are, I'm sure that if I did it I would be looking for magnets and pieces on the floor... gulp
Not just that, one small wrong error drilling and you ruin the figure. No thanks.

-Ski
The minis aren't ruined... At worst and arm is, and even then you can almost certainly fix it with a little green stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nevertellmetheodds wrote:
I don't recommend the 1/16" for waists, I went with 1/8x1/32" and they work MUCH better.
Han, I agree and I believe that that is what I'm using as well. The contact is better there for keeping the two largest parts together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you=)
Anyway, I just ordered here through Amazon though.

I ordered for the whole set:

196 1*1
84 2*2
56 2*1

I'll go first with legs and arms. And after that If I see I can handle it, the wrists, but scare the shit out of me to be honest =P
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:
Thank you=)
Anyway, I just ordered here through Amazon though.

I ordered for the whole set:

196 1*1
84 2*2
56 2*1

I'll go first with legs and arms. And after that If I see I can handle it, the wrists, but scare the shit out of me to be honest =P
If I'm not too lazy I'll try to post some pictures of my successes (and failures) with magnetization in the next week.

Does anyone have a working solution for large/grand weapons with magnets that doesn't involve gluing or pinning the arms and wrists together?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls