Pyramid Arcade» Forums » General

Subject: So pyramid are round now. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
will i am still be able to itch my back with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How will you find them in the dark with bare feet??

How the heck do you play Spicklehead now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the new "rounded tip" pyramids in person at the Looney Labs office. The amount of rounding is very minor. The radius is only a couple of millimeters at best. Unless you're playing Icehouse, it shouldn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(rips up the patent application for "A Looney Pyramid Blowgun")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this thread seems to have no point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
russ wrote:

pictures we need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

This thread has a rounded point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Looney
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Here's a photo that shows how round the new tips will actually be:

As you might imagine, I wasn't too keen on having to make this change, but actually, now that I have samples in hand, I find them to be nicer than I was expecting. In fact, I rather like them!

And the thing is, sharp tips don't matter. They used to... in very first game, it was kind of important. But almost no one plays Icehouse anymore, and I'm hard pressed to think of a single example (ignoring the fake game Spicklehead) of another game in which the pointyness of the pyramids really is a factor.

So I for one welcome our new rounder-tipped pyramids! But they won't arrive for awhile, so there's plenty of time to buy as many of the old-style pyramids as you might want before the new era begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This adds a whole new dimension to the Pyramid design space!

* Color
* Size
* Stacked / Nested
* Standing / laying
* Orientation
* Pointiness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
Looks good enough,

if they dont work, there is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperor wrote:
But almost no one plays Icehouse anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fogus wrote:
This adds a whole new dimension to the Pyramid design space!

* Color
* Size
* Stacked / Nested
* Standing / laying
* Orientation
* Pointiness

*Pointless ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the things you can do in Zendo are influenced by the physical properties of the pyramids. I know there are things you can do with the giant cardboard pyramids that you can't do with the regular plastic pyrmaids, and vice versa, so I will be curious to see how the rounded tips affect the game in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperor wrote:
As you might imagine, I wasn't too keen on having to make this change, but actually, now that I have samples in hand, I find them to be nicer than I was expecting. In fact, I rather like them!

And the thing is, sharp tips don't matter. They used to... in very first game, it was kind of important. But almost no one plays Icehouse anymore, and I'm hard pressed to think of a single example (ignoring the fake game Spicklehead) of another game in which the pointyness of the pyramids really is a factor.

So I for one welcome our new rounder-tipped pyramids! But they won't arrive for awhile, so there's plenty of time to buy as many of the old-style pyramids as you might want before the new era begins.

Do I understand correctly that the old and new shapes are otherwise identical/compatible (e.g. same dimensions at the square base, same angle) so they'd stack together and basically look more or less the same except that some are pointier?

Or e.g. does a new one stacked on top of an old pointing sit higher in some funny looking way, or anything like that?

If possible, can you show a side view photo of several, e.g. a stack of 5 old larges, next to a stack of 5 new larges, next to a stack of interleaved old/new/old/new/old larges? (and likewise for the other 2 sizes, if there are any such anomalies when mixing old/new types together)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Looney
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pyramid fans have been asking for more details about the next generation of Looney Pyramids, which will have slightly rounder tips than the two previous manufacturing runs, which were themselves very slightly different. Our goal, of course, is for all pyramids to be interchangeable and as otherwise identical to the other versions as possible, but concerns have been expressed about stacking new ones onto old ones and having them look funny or something.

So, I put together a test set consisting of 4 trios from each of the 3 production runs, with freshly opened pieces of each type, and I’ve been carrying this set around in one of those awesome round tins I wrote about recently. (http://new.wunderland.com/2015/10/28/starship-captains-metal...).

These are my primary play-testing pyramids now, and I’ve spent a lot of time stacking, nesting, and playing actual games using this set, to make sure the 3 types all interact smoothly. And I’m happy to say they’re great!

I’ve also taken a series of photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130203037@N07/sets/72157659837...

The photos do reveal some slight differences. For the purposes of this report, I need a way to refer to each generation of pyramids, so G1 pyramids are the first type, made in the USA, G2 pyramids are the pointier Chinese-made pieces currently available, and G3 pyramids are from the future. And since I had some, I used G1 pieces with slightly non-standard colors (electric yellows and pinkish reds) to make them more easily distinguishable visually.

Photo #1 indicates that G1 pyramids do stack taller than the others, but as noted, I haven’t found this to matter — or even be distinguishable —in actual play. Perhaps the most important picture is #8, which shows 4 stacks of 3 nested trios. What’s not immediately obvious about this photo is that each trio consists of a G1, a G2, and a G3 pyramid, all nested together and stacked up. Again, there are some very slight differences in how they stack, but it’s not something you’d notice, let alone feel is a problem, in actual use. Photo #2 also depicts mixed generation trios, stacked up as trees. Photo #3 shows the mixed generation nests each sitting alone. Photo #10 just shows G3 pyramids being stacked up in weird ways that, as you can see, are all still possible. My favorite photo is #5, a close-up of 12 pyramid tips all pointing inward, and it really lets you see the differences in the tip rounding.

In closing I’d like to say, again, that I used to worry that rounder-tipped pyramids would feel inferior, but now that I actually have them, I not only think they’re perfectly acceptable, I have to admit they are actually pretty nice. Maybe even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Photographic evidence of a G3 very silly hat! I was wondering about that very thing. For the tip-to-tip weirds, I don't think I'd ever seen it as a three pyramid combo with a small on top of the large. It was a challenge to build with G1; it looks like it might be easier with G3 with more surface area on the points.

It looks like some of the nests that are SG2/MG3/LG1 are not quite fully grounded, which seems like the combination least likely to be problematic. It probably won't matter much in practice for most games. I generally avoid mixing generations anyway, so I doubt it will affect me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Pauly
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about Zendo? Is it possible to play Zendo with this set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squidy wrote:

The set doesn't come with stones. The pyramids are 3 trios in each of 10 colors. If you can overcome those limitations, then, yes, you can play Zendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
squidy wrote:

The set doesn't come with stones. The pyramids are 3 trios in each of 10 colors. If you can overcome those limitations, then, yes, you can play Zendo.

I've played Zendo using one color of pyramids as stones (worth 1, 2, or 3 guesses), and people indicate their guesses by pointing a pyramid left or right, so (to me) lack of stones is no problem.

But having only 3 trios in a given color sounds limiting for building many koans in Zendo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
squidy wrote:

I've played Zendo using one color of pyramids as stones (worth 1, 2, or 3 guesses), and people indicate their guesses by pointing a pyramid left or right, so (to me) lack of stones is no problem.

But having only 3 trios in a given color sounds limiting for building many koans in Zendo.

I think both problems can be overcome pretty easily.

Stones
- Use a substitute. Anybody with a reasonably sized game collection is going to have something. Even though I have stones, I've used mini-poker chips and Backgammon pieces for marking/answering stones and any number of weird things for guessing stones.
- If you really want to limit yourself to what's in the box, there is a deck of Zark City cards included (square and with five suits). I'm sure you could adapt those without too much problem.
- You could segregate the koans. I don't like moving koans once they're on the table, but some people do it. White koans over here and black koans over there.

Pyramids
- Don't use color in your koans. There are lots of other properties you can build koans around.
- Require each color-based rule to use at least two colors, and use them interchangeably.
- If that's too hard, just designate before the game starts that certain pairs of colors are equivalent for Zendo purposes. For example, Red=Orange. You can't use "Red" as a color, you can only use "Red-or-Orange".
- Don't change anything and watch how "interesting" the color rules get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
- You could segregate the koans. I don't like moving koans once they're on the table, but some people do it. White koans over here and black koans over there.

That's my standard procedure always (we much prefer having the 2 classes of koans visibly separated), so I forgot to mention it, and didn't even think about substituting stones for marking koans, only about for guessing stones and for indicating one's decision during a "mondo".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

That's my standard procedure always (we much prefer having the 2 classes of koans visibly separated), so I forgot to mention it, and didn't even think about substituting stones for marking koans, only about for guessing stones and for indicating one's decision during a "mondo".

When I play Giant Zendo, I always use playing cards for guessing stones, so that seems obvious to me. You can also use playing cards for answering stones. Give everyone a Diamond and a Spade for their answering stones, and then Hearts, Clubs, and Fifth-Suit are guessing stones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm a complete newb to the icehouse pieces. What about Icehouse requires pointed pyramids? I'm missing something here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatesphere wrote:
So, I'm a complete newb to the icehouse pieces. What about Icehouse requires pointed pyramids? I'm missing something here...

From everything I can tell, the only issue is for people who already own the older pyramids with pointier tips, and are sticklers for all their components being as physically identical as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
235689KA
badge
Content Generation For A New Generation
mbmbmbmbmb
gatesphere wrote:

My guess would be it's divining exactly where pyramids are pointing - although from the pictures it doesn't seem as if it would be that hard, and (though I've played Icehouse only very rarely) I don't think circumstances in which it's not reasonably clear whether a piece is pointing at another piece or not arise THAT often.

I suppose the exact height of the pieces might also be said to be important in Icehouse, but again it doesn't seem all that different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.