Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Anyone heard of anything intersting lately that isn't Pandemic Legacy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep coming here in hopes of hearing about something interesting, but all I keep seeing in Pandemic Legacy thread after thread. So what has everyone been playing and up to aside from REDACTED. Anything new and hot on the horizon? Anything at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played any of the new games, but there are some very hot ones people are constantly talking about:
T.I.M.E Stories
Blood Rage
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories has been gettign more press here Ithink. That's the one I think should be redacted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring stuff that hasn't been released yet (i.e. the Kickstarters I'm backing and have recently backed)

Suburbia 5★ is interesting but adds a lot of fiddliness - both in setup and in game play - as well. Not sure the added fiddliness is 'worth it' (And already found Suburbia a bit fiddly), but I think I'm glad I have the option now. Need to play with it a couple more times before I can rate that expansion.

Between Two Cities is wonderful even when playing with the two player variant, I'd honestly say I think it's worth picking up if you only are going to play two player. I was expecting the two player variant to be ok to good rather than fantastic, not gotten it to the table with 3-7 yet, and honestly at this point, I don't care if I ever do.

Thunderbirds captures the theme nicely (mostly - It's a bit weird having Alan pilot Thunderbird 2 which sometimes the game encourages you to do), and is yet another solid coop from Matt Leacock. Not as off formula for him as Forbidden Desert, but a fair departure from the Pandemic formula for him. Uses pick up and deliver as a luck mitigation mechanic, which is a slightly mind bending combination of mechanics to me for some reason - I'm moving people, vehicles and equipment around the board in order to increase my odds on die rolls, or I can just try the die roll without the increased odds, and hope that takes less actions (and doesn't cause the Hood to advance in his schemes too much) than getting the right equipment and people to the right places. The solo variant in the box is pretty neat - actually gives a thematic justification for playing solo rather than simply playing multihanded.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is mechanically solid and breaks the turns of most dueling wizard games up into microturns so there's a bit more of a back and forth than I'm used to from the genre.

Looking forward to getting Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania, Castles of Mad King Ludwig: Secrets and 7 Wonders Duel to the table.

For the future, (i.e. kickstarters), I've just backed Lunarchitects which looks similar to Glen More if you either like that or want to get a copy but are struggling to find one, but makes a fair bit of changes to things, though I think like Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola it'll be a case by case basis of 'is this worth having both in my collection?', and Scythe which the campaign has just finished of looks amazing.

A fair few I'm expecting to arrive shortly, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
504 could be interesting I suppose, but seems more a game building tool than anything, it has failed to intrigue me.

Blood rage I know 0 about, and Code names is a bit party game looking for my tastes.

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
T.I.M.E Stories has been gettign more press here Ithink. That's the one I think should be redacted.
I've seen it, I don't really do co-ops though. My wife and I enjoy conflict oriented games far too much. Heard it is effectively not replayable too.

Gizensha wrote:
Ignoring stuff that hasn't been released yet (i.e. the Kickstarters I'm backing and have recently backed)

Suburbia 5★ is interesting but adds a lot of fiddliness - both in setup and in game play - as well. Not sure the added fiddliness is 'worth it' (And already found Suburbia a bit fiddly), but I think I'm glad I have the option now. Need to play with it a couple more times before I can rate that expansion.

Between Two Cities is wonderful even when playing with the two player variant, I'd honestly say I think it's worth picking up if you only are going to play two player. I was expecting the two player variant to be ok to good rather than fantastic, not gotten it to the table with 3-7 yet, and honestly at this point, I don't care if I ever do.

Thunderbirds captures the theme nicely (mostly - It's a bit weird having Alan pilot Thunderbird 2 which sometimes the game encourages you to do), and is yet another solid coop from Matt Leacock. Not as off formula for him as Forbidden Desert, but a fair departure from the Pandemic formula for him. Uses pick up and deliver as a luck mitigation mechanic, which is a slightly mind bending combination of mechanics to me for some reason - I'm moving people, vehicles and equipment around the board in order to increase my odds on die rolls, or I can just try the die roll without the increased odds, and hope that takes less actions (and doesn't cause the Hood to advance in his schemes too much) than getting the right equipment and people to the right places. The solo variant in the box is pretty neat - actually gives a thematic justification for playing solo rather than simply playing multihanded.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is mechanically solid and breaks the turns of most dueling wizard games up into microturns so there's a bit more of a back and forth than I'm used to from the genre.

Looking forward to getting Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania, Castles of Mad King Ludwig: Secrets and 7 Wonders Duel to the table.

For the future, (i.e. kickstarters), I've just backed Lunarchitects which looks similar to Glen More if you either like that or want to get a copy but are struggling to find one, but makes a fair bit of changes to things, though I think like Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola it'll be a case by case basis of 'is this worth having both in my collection?', and Scythe which the campaign has just finished of looks amazing.

A fair few I'm expecting to arrive shortly, as well.
Have not played Suburbia, 2p Between Two cities I will likely need to look into though.

Ashes is definitely something I am interested in trying out, by removing economy building from the game it could be very interesting. I play Hearthstone, so not a far cry from that.

Thanks for the updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really enjoyed Barony the last few weeks. I am also looking forward to 7 Wonders Duel and Favor of the Pharaoh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm. Essen just ended. There are tons of good newer games. Go look around. You'll find them. Perhaps a geeklist or 10.

Here's my Wishlist of newer games:

runebound 3rd edition
7 wonders duel
Nations dynasties
War hammer quest card game
Gallerist
Sword and sorcery
Kemet expansion
Ludwig expansion
Champions of Midgard
Portal of morth
And then we held hands
War of ring warriors of middle earth
Inhabit the earth
Pursuit of happiness
Simurgh
Forge war
Gloom haven
7th continent
Andor expansion
Perditions mouth
Scythe
Nippon
Orleans expansion
Stronghold 2nd edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone who likes the gameplay of Magic: The Gathering owes himself to check out Epic Card Game.
Complete game with possibilities of building decks, drafting them, or putting them together randomly for just 15$. It has all the fun of Magic and removes the randomized distribution model as well as the potentially frustrating resource system.

Seriously, this is the most fun I have had with a new game in the last 3 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2112 the board game! Struggle against a dystopian society in the quest to return music to the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate.

I've only played twice, and it's already the game I think about whenever I'm not playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
Canada
flag msg tools
I like the look of Gold West, Roll Play and Lunarchitects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Thorns of the BriarqueenMicrobadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: Rebuilding the Infinity EngineMicrobadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - Dis
Trantor42 wrote:
Everyone who likes the gameplay of Magic: The Gathering owes himself to check out Epic Card Game.
Complete game with possibilities of building decks, drafting them, or putting them together randomly for just 15$. It has all the fun of Magic and removes the randomized distribution model as well as the potentially frustrating resource system.

Seriously, this is the most fun I have had with a new game in the last 3 years.
After reading the OP, Epic Card Game was the game I was going to suggest. We're having a blast with it. For $15 (around $10 from online stores), you can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game of The King is Dead a couple of nights ago, and thought it was terrific. It's the game I've felt the most excited about playing again after one play since Tigris & Euphrates. The problem is, I have no idea when that next play will be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Flick 'em Up! and Talon are capturing my attention at the moment.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gorz
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have not played this one it is certainly getting some buzz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving Earth. It's the thing for space geeks I think. And I greatly enjoy the Play-By-Froum rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Finland
Espoo/Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
painkiller wrote:
Haven't played any of the new games, but there are some very hot ones people are constantly talking about:
T.I.M.E Stories
Blood Rage
Codenames
And absolutly none of those are good with 2 players. Game designers should really pay attention to the majority of gamers ie husbands and wives.The games look great but unfortunately I cant buy them as they would be not good for 2p. These companies could easily triple their revenue by making the games amazing with 2 just like with 3 or 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not new but I just got La Granja and it's probably the best thing I've played this year. It plays super smoothly and it has a lot of options and little combos. Plus, it has great replay value, unlike some other games whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played [redacted]?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
If only we had some way of knowing what other titles were being talked about. Ya know, the ones that are the hot new items at the moment. And a list that measured their hotness in some way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
painkiller wrote:
T.I.M.E Stories
Blood Rage
Codenames
And absolutly none of those are good with 2 players. Game designers should really pay attention to the majority of gamers ie husbands and wives.The games look great but unfortunately I cant buy them as they would be not good for 2p. These companies could easily triple their revenue by making the games amazing with 2 just like with 3 or 4
I just finished TIME Stories with my girlfriend and had a blast. The 2-player variant for Asylum is really as simple as "Add 5 TU". We've been playing a lot of Blood Rage too. The game board effectively shrinks with less players, so while you don't get as epically big battles compared to 4 player, it's still tense and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hearing good things about Leaving Earth and La Granja... will probably end up with both of them. (Well, Leaving Earth for the SO.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
but all I keep seeing in Pandemic Legacy thread after thread.
I see 3 threads on the front page about Pandemic or Legacy, and one of those is this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my Risk: Star Wars Edition black box today.

Pete (already had Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |