Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the walk-through and seems like a pretty cool system if a little random. Maybe someone could test interest with Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Hasborg has the Avalon Hill rights.

And I don't think they will reprint this game. It would need a complete overhaul. An overhaul so big, that you wouldn't recognize RB anymore ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been reprinted as Boxcars which was the name for the original version. It doesn't seem like the BGG entries make the relationships very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played in over 20 years. I wonder if time has been kind to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks looks like that will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Picur
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you think it needs a complete overhaul. Perhaps you can elaborate.

The so-called "fixes" and variants do not improve the game. The B&O "fix" isn't -- B&O did not physically enter New York at any time, and it was correct for Avalon Hill not to make the Philadelphia/New York connection that some people think should be added.

The payoff tables are not, nor they should be, merely a matter of distance. Other than one glaring misprint, I think Avalon Hill did a pretty good job of balancing the distances with the difficulty of getting to a place. However, it's a while since I played and I stand to be corrected on this.

The trouble is, if you tinker with the game you risk -- as you say -- making it unrecognizable. You also risk making it too easy. That's what I see most of the "fixes" being -- a way of making the game easier than it should be.

I've seen the tournament variant rules and I don't like any of them, other than the courtesy rule that obviates the need for immediate movement on the roll of the dice.

I have the original (1977) edition of the game, have played it probably close to a hundred times and have no beefs with it as is, other than the misprint correction. It is very playable, easy to learn and a great introduction to train gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Picur
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original version, Boxcars (reprinted 2013), is much more basic than Rail Baron, which was professionally developed into a more challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.