8 Posts

Mega Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Board Alignment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Herndon
United States
flag msg tools
Have people who own the game noticed if their board panels align well? My westernmost panel does not really align with its adjacent panel. This is not major, but it is kind of distracting particularly in the boundary between Sicily and Africa as well as with both Italy and the Adriatic Sea. My middle panels and eastern panels, however, align very well, so the misalignment between the western panels seems like perhaps a printing error. Is my situation typical, or do I have an unfortunate panel?

(Note that shifting the boards so that Italy and the Adriatic align better causes the Africa boundaries, particularly by Carthage, to misalign more.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bigal230 wrote:
Have people who own the game noticed if their board panels align well? My westernmost panel does not really align with its adjacent panel. This is not major, but it is kind of distracting particularly in the boundary between Sicily and Africa as well as with both Italy and the Adriatic Sea. My middle panels and eastern panels, however, align very well, so the misalignment between the western panels seems like perhaps a printing error. Is my situation typical, or do I have an unfortunate panel?

(Note that shifting the boards so that Italy and the Adriatic align better causes the Africa boundaries, particularly by Carthage, to misalign more.)

Sad thing this has happened. I know this is not a printing error, but rather a cutting error. Actually it is not even an error. In these type of production in is very difficult to guarantee a 100% fitting correction to the whole print run. A few millimeters off might sometimes happen.

I've unpacked a few games during the past few weeks and I have seen most of them fit perfectly, which is exactly as expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flodehaan wrote:
bigal230 wrote:
Sad thing this has happened. I know this is not a printing error, but rather a cutting error. Actually it is not even an error. In these type of production in is very difficult to guarantee a 100% fitting correction to the whole print run. A few millimeters off might sometimes happen.
Actually this is a packing error. A board was cut up then placed into different game boxes.

Somewhere out there is the board section you want, you just need to search 2,999 other sets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two middle boards seem to be like this too. They do seem to be cut wrong, because having a 5mm gap between them it looks like they would've matched had one of the boards been cut wider - if that makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigal230 wrote:

my copy has this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine isn't perfect either, but mine's close enough not to be a distraction during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Marillion fanMicrobadge: Coheed and Cambria fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
Hi everybody,

I think I can explain this.

I am sorry that this happened. The problem is the size of the boards. They were printed in offset on separate sheets of paper. Only one board fits on one sheet of paper, so all boards were produced separately.

Then each board is glued to the thick cardboard and then punched. This is a mechanical process which has a small tolerance because of variances in paper (thickness, humidity and temperature, although we have a climate controlled factory which stays within the same range of both small differences can occur) and the punching tool also has a small tolerance. We are talking about a little shift, maybe a few millimeters, never more than 3mm. On 720mm length and 520mm width.

In this case the top sheet of the left board is shifted slightly to the right. It is only a tiny little bit as each of the border lines is hardly wider than 1 mm itself. I would guess 2mm is all.

It is not visible until you put all the boards, unfolded, next to another. We could just not spot it. I apologize, but this is impossible to avoid.

Best regards
Frank Jaeger
LUDO FACT GmbH, Germany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of line
frank jaeger wrote:
We are talking about a little shift, maybe a few millimeters, never more than 3mm. On 720mm length and 520mm width.

In this case the top sheet of the left board is shifted slightly to the right. It is only a tiny little bit as each of the border lines is hardly wider than 1 mm itself. I would guess 2mm is all.

It is not visible until you put all the boards, unfolded, next to another.
Sounds reasonable, although the maximum shift would be about 6mm if you had the misfortune to have a join with the offset in opposite directions on each side.

Quote:
We could just not spot it.
The packers didn't check for this.

Quote:
I apologize, but this is impossible to avoid.
Not true, it should have been caught at the packing stage.

In case anyone thinks I'm being picky I worked for the UK agency for Avalon Hill Games from 1976-83. Misaligned boards were rare, but they happened. (It could be more frequent with counters.) We provided replacements where it was an issue, as it appears here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls