13 Posts

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 400 Rebels, where are some holes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Some Guy
msg tools
mb
So, we really don't have a meta here yet and we've played very few games. I considering going to a bigger venue a hour drive away and wanted to know if I'd do well. If I wouldn't let give me a few ideas. Like I said still "green" to this game so need so thoughts. I love the Carrier Group builds but willing to learn something new.

MC80 Command Cruiser
Admiral Ackbar
Redundant Shields
Leading Shots
Boosted Comms
Adar Tallon
Engineering Team
Defiance
Enhanced Armament

Assault Frigate Mark IIA
Boosted Comms
Paragon
Enhanced Armament

HWK-290
4- X-Wing Squadrons
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right offhand, it looks like all your eggs are in the MC80s basket, and Star Destroyers love just having one target to shoot at.

I don't have the ship's card in front of me, but can the MC80 take all those upgrades? For one, I don't think you can have Ackbar and Tallon on the same ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
msg tools
mb
Tallon is a officer not a commander, I can have both unless I missed something from the rules. All the other upgrades are legit, I tried to consolidate some upgrades and I was left with 17 points not much to work with. I could drop both of the enhanced armament and have 37 and try for a Corvette. I also have been considering 4 A-wings instead of the X-Wings so I'd have the extra points easy if I did that.

Random thought:
Ackbar's ability doesn't really fit well with Nebulon-B Frigates or Corvettes, They have very few red dice on the broadsides. I'd trade 10 points for +1 red on 2 ships for a more costly 1 total red on each type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
For one, I don't think you can have Ackbar and Tallon on the same ship.
So, why is that? One is an admiral the other one a normal officer, so they can go perfectly well together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. And I think Ackbar's best used with a side-shooty fleet, so I don't think Corvettes or Nebs will benefit him.

I'll go back to my original statement: all the goodies seem to be on the MC80, so that's where the Star Destroyers will concentrate their fire. I'm not saying it's an automatic win for the Imperials, but if you lose it, you'll have a hard time winning the battle. And there are a lot of reasons to focus on it.

Squadron-wise, I like Xs better than As myself for their versatility, so I'd keep them.

Perhaps if the ISDs focus on Ackbar, the fighters can do enough damage to bring one down, depending on what kind of squadrons the Imperials bring to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would remove the fighters altogether (or at least reduce to 2 A-Wings only to keep enemy bombers engaged for a couple of rounds; no need to destroy them). That should free up points for another cap ship. And don't worry if that does not match with Ackbar's special skill. The additional ship really is to have enemy ISDs move around more carefully to avoid being shot in the back to easily.

I'd go for a cheap CR90 B and the Dodonna's Pride title to get in some critical damage cards on enemy ISDs. Again, no need to destroy any ISDs with this, but considerably reducing their attack power is the goal.

Your MC80 will then have an easier day to take out an enemy ISD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
msg tools
mb
I dropped the MC80 some points. not sure if I really can drop it any more without going to a completely new fleet.

MC80 Command Cruiser
Admiral Ackbar
Boosted Comms
Adar Tallon
Defiance
Enhanced Armament

Assault Frigate Mark IIA
Boosted Comms
Paragon
Enhanced Armament
Flight Controllers

4- A-Wing Squadrons
HWK-290
Dutch Vander
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
msg tools
mb
Jamiri wrote:
I would remove the fighters altogether (or at least reduce to 2 A-Wings only to keep enemy bombers engaged for a couple of rounds; no need to destroy them). That should free up points for another cap ship. And don't worry if that does not match with Ackbar's special skill. The additional ship really is to have enemy ISDs move around more carefully to avoid being shot in the back to easily.

I'd go for a cheap CR90 B and the Dodonna's Pride title to get in some critical damage cards on enemy ISDs. Again, no need to destroy any ISDs with this, but considerably reducing their attack power is the goal.

something to think about thanks, is this something like your thinking? corvette hangs back until I need a couple extra dice to kill off a enemy capitol ship?

MC80 Command Cruiser
Boosted Comms
Adar Tallon
Defiance
Enhanced Armament

Corvette B
Admiral Ackbar
Dodonnas Pride

Assault Frigate Mark IIA
Boosted Comms
Paragon
Enhanced Armament

2- A-Wing Squadrons
HWK-290
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want a side-shooting fleet, or a carrier fleet?
Ackbar's value (like Tarkin) increases when you have more ships who can kite around the edges.
For a kiting fleet, something like

MC80 Assault
Ackbar
Redundant shield
Enhanced Armament
Defiance

Assault Frig
Enhanced Arm
Gunnery Team

Assault Frig
Enhanced Arm
Gunnery Team
Paragon

Han & Tycho

for a carrier fleet, something like

MC80 Command
Weapons Liason
Tractor Beam
Independence

Neb B Support
Salvation

Neb B Support
Redemption

Neb B Support
Garm Bel

B-Wing x 2
Jan Ors
Nym
Tycho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Stonegrinder wrote:
Jamiri wrote:

something to think about thanks, is this something like your thinking? corvette hangs back until I need a couple extra dice to kill off a enemy capitol ship?

MC80 Command Cruiser
Boosted Comms
Adar Tallon
Defiance
Enhanced Armament

Corvette B
Admiral Ackbar
Dodonnas Pride

Assault Frigate Mark IIA
Boosted Comms
Paragon
Enhanced Armament

2- A-Wing Squadrons
HWK-290
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Ackbar should stay on the MC80, where he is safest. The Corvette is for immediate action, outflanking one of the enemy ISDs and attacking it from the rear (should happen in round 3). That way you get in around 3 open (critical) damage cards before the game ends.

I'd put Advanced Projectors on the Corvette, as that greatly increases her lifespan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don’t dream your life, live your dream
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say you can not have both enhanced armament and redundant shield on same ship. They are both modifications. And ships may only have one modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
Sorry to say you can not have both enhanced armament and redundant shield on same ship. They are both modifications. And ships may only have one modification.
Haha, dang, I need to actually flag modifications on my "big spreadsheet o' ships and upgrades" because I have made that mistake a few times now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
Microbadge: Caffeine loverMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I Can Has Cheezburger?Microbadge: Waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (I'm prepared)Microbadge: Ooh, shiny!
monkeykins wrote:
Wetaas wrote:
Haha, dang, I need to actually flag modifications on my "big spreadsheet o' ships and upgrades" because I have made that mistake a few times now...
So have I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls