Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

504» Forums » General

Subject: 504, the worst thing to happen to my wallet, ever. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Icehouse fanMicrobadge: I speak JapaneseMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: 18xx fan
Here's a scenario:

Me: Which XXX is like El Grande?
BGG: XXX is just like El Grande.
Me: (plays XXX and likes it)
Me: (runs out and buys El Grande)
...
Me: Which XXX is like Ursuppe?
BGG: XXX is somewhat like Ursuppe.
...

You see where this is going. zombie
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call that "the point of 504" - if you like a particular combination and there is a well-regarded game out there that is similar the standalone game will almost always be a superior version of that thing due to the fact that the standalone game was specifically designed and polished to give you that one experience.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Lakoda wrote:
I now your half joking but isn't the point of 504 that you can play a world that is like another world but not exactly the same. So you can Enjoy XXX and play XYX or XXY or XYZ and enjoy a similar-ish game without spending more money?
This is definitely my plan. I didn't have many Euros in my collection, now I have 504 okay to good, maybe a few great, Euros.

Plus I feel like there are enough components and mechanics in this box that you could easily find a combination that you like and add a few house rules to make an even better game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fogus wrote:
Here's a scenario:

Me: Which XXX is like El Grande?
BGG: XXX is just like El Grande.
Me: (plays XXX and likes it)
Me: (runs out and buys El Grande)
...
Me: Which XXX is like Ursuppe?
BGG: XXX is somewhat like Ursuppe.
...

You see where this is going. zombie
I can't see a combo to create Ursuppe.

But I get your drift with military majorities with the periodic scoring for an El Grande type game.

Perhaps you are right if you find a combo you really really really love.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I wouldn't call that "the point of 504" - if you like a particular combination and there is a well-regarded game out there that is similar the standalone game will almost always be a superior version of that thing due to the fact that the standalone game was specifically designed and polished to give you that one experience.
Not necessarily, I remember the taxi game of GTA was regarded as better than segas crazy taxi where the taxi game was the whole game.

People like different things, I think it is hard to imagine that there is a 504 game and its 'standalone game' counterpart and everyone will prefer the standalone game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
Muemmelmann wrote:
Octavian wrote:
I wouldn't call that "the point of 504" - if you like a particular combination and there is a well-regarded game out there that is similar the standalone game will almost always be a superior version of that thing due to the fact that the standalone game was specifically designed and polished to give you that one experience.
Not necessarily, I remember the taxi game of GTA was regarded as better than segas crazy taxi where the taxi game was the whole game.

People like different things, I think it is hard to imagine that there is a 504 game and its 'standalone game' counterpart and everyone will prefer the standalone game.
Yep; and in the case of a game like this, a modular system system has its own appeal. Not only for the obvious geeky interest ("Wow, how did FF make this work?"), but also for the practical interest of rule-learning economy.

E.g. there exist wargames specifically created to simulate one specific historical battle and thus are more "polished" etc for playing that one situation; nonetheless generic tactical systems like Advanced Squad Leader, Combat Commander: Europe are often far more popular than most wargames that are "specifically designed and polished to give you that one experience" but require you to learn a new rule system for every new game dedicated to and specifically polished for "one experience".

Similarly many people like being able to learn the specific rules/boards/cards of Dominion or Kingdom Builder and then play a variety of situations, rather than learning lots of independent rulesets to games which are less modular but might be more specifically designed and polished for some specific situation which a specific Dominion or Kingdom Builder setup creates.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder, if 504 didn't aim to get 504 different games and just focused on, say, 2 or 3 extremely good ones, do you think it'd sell better/have better reviews? Kinda like how SWIA has skirmish mode and campaign and both are considered enjoyable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of 504 is to generate a lot games. Otherwise it would be something totally different.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
The point of 504 is to generate a lot games. Otherwise it would be something totally different.
Obviously, hence my hypothetical on if this was a different game with a different goal (not hundreds of game but an elite 2-3)

I personally think one of the reasons SWIA is so high is partly the additional skirmish mode d think 504 wouldve fared better review wise if it didnt do so many games. Its interesting and clever, but its quality seems highly questionable compared to its quantity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls