BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas presents for family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all

I recently have got some of my family into some light board games, and looking for more of the same.

Requirements:

MUST be able to be played fairly easily by an 8 year old, but still be interesting for a 13 year old and their mum. A LOW PRICE POINT WOULD BE PREFERRED!

The game I bought them which they LOVED was Splendor.

I will probably buy 2-3 games for them, one of which being Pandemic.

Having looked at the family game ranks on BGG, i was considering the below:

Stone Age
Settlers (not sure if this is too simple)

Please can you let me know any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is light but still fun for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Switch Ticket to Ride from your wish list to "owned". I'm not sure what you deem low price, but, if you get it, you'll open yourself up to some low priced expansion packs to enhance the fun at a later date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun family game: Camel Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Stone Age and Settlers are a bit more complex than Splendor, so don't worry about them being too light. I prefer Stone Age of the two.

Other light games that should work well for a family:
Dixit (associating words to surreal art)
Camel Up (betting on a camel race)
+1 King of Tokyo (Godzilla-Yahtzee!)

Pandemic may or may not be a bit much for an 8 year old; if you have doubts, take a look at Forbidden Island, a very similar cooperative game by the same designer that is a bit simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Pandemic may or may not be a bit much for an 8 year old; if you have doubts, take a look at Forbidden Island, a very similar cooperative game by the same designer that is a bit simpler.

Not only that, but Forbidden Island definitely meets the low price criteria. If you find it on sale, it's practically in card game price territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some suggestions would be Lords of Waterdeep, Carcassonne, Small World, Ticket to Ride, Mice and Mystics, Dixit, and Kingdom Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're lookin' for any stocking stuffers, you might try Love Letter...and in particular, the Christmas version of that game, Letters to Santa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! is cheap, and has a pretty wide appeal I've found among lots of different gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petrie
United States
Bowdoinham
ME
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my experience dexterity games seem to be the way to go with a diversely aged crowd. Coconuts is a hit whenever I bring it out, and bling bling gemstone.

If it has to be more strategic, but not a party game by the looks, Carcassonne and King of tokyo are go too games. I'm going to throw out pyramix, because of the simple ruleset, tsuro, and Machi koro (got to have some dice rolling somewhere)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Alvarez
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
“The cinema substitutes for our gaze a world more in harmony with our desires.”
mbmbmbmb
Hey, there!

If you like coop games I think Forbidden Desert fits your requirements exactly. The nature of the game removes any "quarterbacking" tendencies, which can be super helpful amid sibling rivalry. Congrats on getting a gaming clan together! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to look at King's Forge... When I played Splendor, I recalled moments in the game, but it has dice rolling, which can be fun.

I will second Camel Up, as that seems to be good fun.

I will say that I am in the minority here, but King of Tokyo has not gone over with my family well at all. I've tried it multiple times, and it just keeps falling flat for some reason.

Ticket to Ride will still be welcome at the table.

If you are ok with the theme, Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) is loads of fun.

Finally, Rise of Augustus has bingo style play that has been well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Stone Age
+1 Dixit but note that it does not shine with less than 4p

Other good choices:

Thebes
Tobago
Ingenious
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Isla Dorada
Bohnanza

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Tokaido
Pit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get your hands on Flick 'em Up! that could be a good bet! Being in a Wild West shoot out should appeal to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good and engaging games Christmas. My children have the same age difference.
1 Aztek good quick little game
2.Black Fleet , very good fun game for family
3.Run,Fight or Die, really good dice chuker
4.Forbidden Island, great family co-op
5.Loot, fun little card game
6.Qube Quest. Flicking cubes at one another
7.Seven dragons, fun chaotic card game
8.For sale, classic
9.Any Ticket to ride, enough said
10.New York 1901 fantastic new game
Have a merry Christmas and God bless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions so far. I'll add in

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Risk: Star Wars Edition

For a few more conflict laden options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Everybody - apologies for the delayed response. Overwhelmed as usual by the speed and quality of response

King of Tokyo is one I haven't heard of before but I'll give it a look.

I think I will order Ticket to Ride : Europe (We are in the UK), King of Tokyo, and Love Letter. Is this a varied enough selection?

There hasn't been as much mention of Stone Age, but this is ranked number 4 in family games? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jthorpe wrote:

King of New York is worth a look too, it's slightly more expensive. I think it's supposed to be slightly more complex, but more interesting long term . I've only played it once (with a rule wrong) but I'd expect my nearly 8-year old could play it. I've never played King of Tokyo so can't compare them myself but probably worth looking at a couple of reviews - I think I remember reading a comparison which said something along the lines of "King of New York has some interesting decisions, in King of Tokyo it's usually obvious what to do". I don't think King of New York is more complex than Pandemic (but I could be wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jthorpe wrote:

I think I will order Ticket to Ride : Europe (We are in the UK), King of Tokyo, and Love Letter. Is this a varied enough selection?
Only you can be the judge of "enough" but yes, that's a varied selection. But, just because you are UK based, there's no need to have TtR: Europe over the original TtR, the former adds a couple of new rules to the basic game, which may or may not appeal to you. I gave TtR: Europe to my 13 year old niece last Christmas and she swapped it for her father's copy of TtR because she didn't like the new game elements.

jthorpe wrote:
There hasn't been as much mention of Stone Age, but this is ranked number 4 in family games? What do you think?
Personal preference alert! I really don't like Stone Age, it's too much of a luck-fest for me that I'll never play it again. Make of that what you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a magnificent worker placement game, although an 8 year old might need a bit of coaching through the game. It is difficult to obtain from within the UK, but check out Amazon.de where you can get a German copy (but the game itself is language independent) for only £25.29 at current price (and that's delivered!). You'll just need to download the English rules from BGG.

I would definitely recommend Camel Up. Fun game that my 7 year old gets involved in. Once again, I'll point you to Amazon.de for a copy. This will only cost you £15.51 delivered! It has both English and German rules enclosed and the game is language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scooperman wrote:
jthorpe wrote:

Only you can be the judge of "enough" but yes, that's a varied selection. But, just because you are UK based, there's no need to have TtR: Europe over the original TtR, the former adds a couple of new rules to the basic game, which may or may not appeal to you. I gave TtR: Europe to my 13 year old niece last Christmas and she swapped it for her father's copy of TtR because she didn't like the new game elements.

jthorpe wrote:
Personal preference alert! I really don't like Stone Age, it's too much of a luck-fest for me that I'll never play it again. Make of that what you will.

It wouldn't bother me - but I'm thinking it will be more interesting for my niece and nephew instead of the American version. I also heard it's a bit less confrontational which may also be better and avoid some fights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I read all of the above posts and will now add my input.

Stone Age - Great game, for the first few plays. After a number of games it feels like you are just trying to do the same things every time. Once we had bought a few Stefan Feld games we had no use for Stone Age but as a starter worker placement game it might be a great fit(if you were closer you could buy my copy, it's for sale).

TTR - I did not like TTR:Europe. We love TTR and we have India and Switzerland and some user created maps, we love all of those. I did not have one game of Europe where I was able to get that feeling of connecting all my routes into one long track like you can do in other maps. For me, that is what I enjoy trying to do so we sold Europe.

King of Tokyo - Never played it.

Love Letter - Great game(filler) and will work good for the age groups involved.

If I was to make a few suggestions they would be:

Biblios - We are buying this game for two different people this christmas and it is one of our all-time favourite games. Easy to teach but offers some great strategic decisions and plays just as good with all player counts. Can't say enough good things about this game.

Parade - Fun little card game(Alice in Wonderland theme) that has simple rules but takes awhile to master the mechanics.

Red7 - Another great card game that we absolutely love. Really enjoyable to make the most of the cards you are dealt(always play with the advanced rules, it's not really that advanced).

Hey! That's my fish! - We just picked this up so we had another game that our 5 yr old could play with us. Super simple but fun and still offers some strategy. Fast and cheap.

All four of the above games are age appropriate and cost efficient, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two simple tile laying games that are very family friendly and relatively inexpensive:
Cacao

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.