Popular Tags: [View All]
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Just for grins, I went out to KickTraq to see what kind of spike in pledges this campaign received since the 48 hour notice/reminder. As I write this, we've got 12 hours remaining in the campaign and ~$43k until the last SG.

Here's the kicktraq funding graph:

From gallery of Mistermannindy

Many of the KS I've tracked receive a significant bump in funding in the last 48 hours. Honestly, I'm surprised that S&S hasn't seen more of a bump than it has. I expected a much larger spike than this graph shows.

I just wonder why we haven't seen more funding here. I'm sure there's all sorts of reasons...

Just making an observation and thinking out loud here on BGG.

I'd like to see the campaign end above $500k, but it just doesn't seem like there's enough pent-up demand. I am happy for Ares/Gremlins as this has been a huge success for them regardless of where the final number ends up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: War of Indines fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Emacs user - it's a way of life...
hm, it could still happen. I think the early bird took some of the spike. But with 28k yesterday, around 50k today seems at least possible. Also, today's numbers will probably get a boost once the Americas wake up. Europe is still working, so in 3-4 hours time, I expect things to be moving much faster than they are now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones fanMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on KickstarterMicrobadge: War of the Ring fan
I don't know if it's because of the EB or if it's due to the fact that most of the backers are pre-existing fans. There also hasn't been any buzz on the game. I don't see the normal posts on reddit or mentions on podcasts that I normally hear on KS games so I think that hurts a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bolt ActionMicrobadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Monolith fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Time of Legends: Joan of Arc
It really has flown under the radar as far as hype. The people who have done 'preview' reviews of the game (undead Viking and Rhondo) have show the great potential of the game. Being a fan of Galaxy Defenders and Ares in general, this was a no brainer for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift System fanMicrobadge: Black Rose Wars fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on Kickstarter
Some thoughts.

First, there have been a lot of dungeon crawler kickstarters the latter half of this year competing for limited dollars. And a lot of "should I get X or Y" discussion threads. A lot of people made their decisions about S&S before the 48 hour period.

Second, there are a lot people who backed the first day for the early bird and have been dropping their pledges because they don't like the final result and/or have decided to back something else instead.

Third, many backers are willing to take a chance on a game with the plan that if they don't like it, they can at least use the miniatures in other games. S&S's color miniatures (green, red, blue, purple instead of a more standard gray) don't look right with other miniature dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Interesting discussion thus far, thanks for all your opinions.

This caught my attention as it was something I hadn't considered.

Mandor wrote:

Third, many backers are willing to take a chance on a game with the plan that if they don't like it, they can at least use the miniatures in other games. S&S's color miniatures (green, red, blue, purple instead of a more standard gray) don't look right with other miniature dungeon crawlers.
I can see this being a factor. I don't plan on leveraging these miniatures outside of S&S, but if people "on the fence" are looking for reasons NOT to back, this one seems pretty valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Roxley Games "Brass" Contest participantMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Orléans fan - Technology Tile
To me its just simple supply and demand and in the last month there has been a huge supply of dungeon crawl games, you have S&S, Super Dungeon Explore just had there campaign, Folklore the affliction just finished, and the new Arcadia Quest next week starts I really think its simply people don't have that much money to spend on that many dungeon crawler type games in such a short time span
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bolt ActionMicrobadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Monolith fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Time of Legends: Joan of Arc
smith2332 wrote:
To me its just simple supply and demand and in the last month there has been a huge supply of dungeon crawl games, you have S&S, Super Dungeon Explore just had there campaign, Folklore the affliction just finished, and the new Arcadia Quest next week starts I really think its simply people don't have that much money to spend on that many dungeon crawler type games in such a short time span
What sealed the deal for me was the UndeadViking review and his comment on the solo play. I play Galaxy Defenders solo quite a bit so this fits a nitch for me for a crawler. I thought about Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest but was not quite sold on it. I may take a chance on it in the future to scratch my itch before the S&S arrival late next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Another observation while I'm thinking about it...

The average pledge amount is currently $132. Without doing a bunch of math, this feels like many of the existing backers are saying, the base pledge is "good enough" and sticking with that. Willing to wait for retail for the other content instead of thinking it's a must have now.

So it appears to me that a) S&S isn't attracting the new backer during this time and b) existing backers are not further investing in much add-on content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift System fanMicrobadge: Black Rose Wars fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on Kickstarter
smith2332 wrote:
Gloom of Kilforth
Gloomhaven
7th Continent
Folklore: The Affliction
Super Dungeon Explore
Perdition's Mouth - just started
Arcadia Quest - starting next week

With a slight stretch of the definition I'd add:
The Others: 7 Sins
Lobotomy
Blackout: Journey into Darkness

It's been a very difficult time working through the choices of what to back or not.

S&S just barely made the cut for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2014Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Squirrel!!!!!!
I pledged....but it maxed out my boardgames budget and I really have to consider if $200 of games I could buy today is worth ~$400 worth of S&S next year (or longer).

11 hours left and I'm not sure if I can justify it. But it does look super cool.... hmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fireteam Zero fan - monsters!Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Sagrada fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fan - Hulk AgentMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fan
This is Ares' highest grossing KS. The last stretch goal at 500k barely has a sketch. They weren't expecting to do so well. This is a great success for them.

Keep in mind that Galaxy Defenders is a game that has flown under the radar of most people too. For example, dice tower never did a review of it. I constantly read articles of people talking about tactical miniatures board games and mention games like earth reborn or omega protocol but neglect GD.

Not all KS have to be on the level of CMON. As far as hype, well Rahdo is one of the best reviewers for hyping people in my opinion and for solo Ricky Royal is too.

I am very happy with this KS and Ares/Gremlins. Can't wait for next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
Microbadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - Tom Baker, 4th DoctorMicrobadge: Judge Dredd fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Railways of the World fan
Mandor wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
Gloom of Kilforth
Gloomhaven
7th Continent
Folklore: The Affliction
Super Dungeon Explore
Perdition's Mouth - just started
Arcadia Quest - starting next week

With a slight stretch of the definition I'd add:
The Others: 7 Sins
Lobotomy
Blackout: Journey into Darkness

It's been a very difficult time working through the choices of what to back or not.

S&S just barely made the cut for me.
I've backed all but 3 of these!

(My poor visa)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think one reason why some people skipped this or didn't go all in is the more generic theme. For me that's actually a plus, because if all fails at least I will have a bunch of miniatures I can use with many generic fantasy themed games or RPGs, but for some people it might be actually a negative, because if you already have tons of games with generic fantasy settings, why get another if there are other dungeon crawlers with more unique settings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Mistermannindy wrote:
The average pledge amount is currently $132. Without doing a bunch of math, this feels like many of the existing backers are saying, the base pledge is "good enough" and sticking with that. Willing to wait for retail for the other content instead of thinking it's a must have now.
As with most kickstarters (Gloomhaven being a recent exception), the base pledge is a good value.

The add-ons are a tough choice (and one I'm still debating). If the game isn't great, the add-ons are a complete waste of money as they'll barely be used. If the game is great, the add-ons may be available at retail and they likely would be cheaper from an OLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Artipia Games "Drum Roll" Contest participant
Well I backed both previous ks gd then the expansion .. This is exactly what happened with those two games as well . I think they really have done a great job on this ks. Just about doubled their first one .. Ive backed about 100 ks games and other then cool mini as far as size the scope and scale of this type of game I've never had an issue. The games show up very polished right out of the box .. I've never had the feeling like I got a beta copy of the game .. Which is saying a lot ! Myth , dungeon saga , to name a few I've gotten . That's why I'm backing the game this company just does it right . You get a great product and they really take care of their customer! They offer a fantastic game and system for solo and co/op play imop ! I have yet to play a dungeon crawler that offer the feel of a video game rpg as this one. Great product right out of the box great company just great over all ha !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As long as we make the 475k Stretch Goal, I'm happy!

I can live without the "Balrog" ... or rather wait for when it inevitably gets around to retail at some point.

But the Scenario Editor would be pretty cool!

Overall, I think the biggest "problem" currently is the amount of games in a similar direction (tactical miniature / dungeon crawler). There seems to be a new one popping up on KS every week.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Benzon
Denmark
flag msg tools
I am currently Holding an early bird pledge and to me the value in that is extremely epicly huge! The value of both immortal and dragon slayer seems mediocre in comparison. Most are only used occasionaly and Immortal is Double the Price and only a slight increase in playable content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fanMicrobadge: Legend of the Five Rings LCGMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
Mistermannindy wrote:
So it appears to me that a) S&S isn't attracting the new backer during this time and b) existing backers are not further investing in much add-on content.
Ares has been up-front that people will be able to increase their pledges later via the Pledge Manager, too, so it's entirely possible that some people are holding off to decide on the add-on content until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars Fan
I'm curious as to where's the 48 hr "Timmy"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars Fan
TheGargoyle wrote:
I think one reason why some people skipped this or didn't go all in is the more generic theme. For me that's actually a plus, because if all fails at least I will have a bunch of miniatures I can use with many generic fantasy themed games or RPGs, but for some people it might be actually a negative, because if you already have tons of games with generic fantasy settings, why get another if there are other dungeon crawlers with more unique settings?
I was having this discussion with a friend at our game night last night. His concern was that it's generic. I'm in the camp that sees it as a plus/doesn't care. I want good gameplay and content. While I see people compare S&S to Descent, I see it more as the next level of the D&D Adventure Series board games. And I love those games. I haven't played Galaxy Defenders (but I want to) so I'm taking a chance that S&S will be everything I hope it is.

I'm going EB & Immortal. Yay completionist!

And I agree, there have been a ton of dungeon crawl type games on KS this year, and more coming out. Ultimately I only backed Gloom of Kilforth and S&S recently. Conan was earlier this year. Also closing out Zombicide: Black Plague and a late late Blood Rage had an impact on decisions as to what to back.

So Ares, you have my Axe! (and pledges for Age of Conan add-on and War of the Ring Anniversary...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benzon wrote:
I am currently Holding an early bird pledge and to me the value in that is extremely epicly huge! The value of both immortal and dragon slayer seems mediocre in comparison. Most are only used occasionaly and Immortal is Double the Price and only a slight increase in playable content.
That is always the case with those Kickstarters.

The basic pledge, thanks to stretch goals, will always outshine any addons for the same price. That's just how it is.

Anyways, looks like I can sit back and relax now... the Scenario Editor is there!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Three Girls and Two BoysMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Amiga fanMicrobadge: .NET programmer
I also agree that EBs encourage backers to back now, think later. Worked in my case, but now that another co-op, The Banner Saga: Warbands just launched, I'm wavering on my EB (I also have Myth)... still a few hours to agonise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: War of Indines fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Emacs user - it's a way of life...
Geoff wrote:
I also agree that EBs encourage backers to back now, think later. Worked in my case, but now that another co-op, The Banner Saga: Warbands just launched, I'm wavering on my EB (I also have Myth)... still a few hours to agonise!
Don't be tempted by those shiny apples. Stay true to your S&S pledge.

(says one who knows Galaxy Defenders to be a great great game and the Gremlins to be a very good design studio. Also, I have played neither Myth nor the Banner Saga. But I know quite a few games and can honestly say that apart from setup time, Galaxy Defenders is the most cinematic and fun experience I've ever had with this type of game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Geoff wrote:
With the amount of stuff you get at the EB price, it's worth keeping. We know there is an Act III coming later, probably a KS, so you can skip the add-ons for now. Also, S&S will likely be delivered to you before Myth Journeyman.

It's also fascinating that the number of backers has slowly risen today but there are constantly EB slots open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |