Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody else surprised that the United Kingdom version comes with an entire new deck just because it needs six extra locomotive cards? Thought it would be more economical to just print twelve cards; six locomotives from the USA version and six locomotives from the Europe version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
They could have done that but my base game cards are wrecked after so much use and it'd be immediately obvious which ones were the new locomotives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards are so worn, that it would have mattered. It would be obvious when one of the new locomotives was on to of the draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am surprised but pleasantly so. Marklin is my TTR, so this is the first map I'll be able to use. Other maps require vanilla TTR decks, because the Marklin deck has a unique distribution due to passenger cards and 4+ locomotives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
Anybody else surprised that the United Kingdom version comes with an entire new deck just because it needs six extra locomotive cards? Thought it would be more economical to just print twelve cards; six locomotives from the USA version and six locomotives from the Europe version.

I totally understand this. But like many others my TtR cards are extremely worn that I was considering getting a fresh deck anyways so I am actually really happy about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
We also get second map again, and both have interesting ideas, so I don't mind the higher price. I have sleeved my cards so I don't personally need replacement deck, but some might. And another cool thing is that if someone only owns TTR Märklin, he can finally buy this, and afterwards other map collections, without having to buy USA or Europe, since he now has normal deck to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Kaptijn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
Yes, I am surprised but pleasantly so. Marklin is my TTR, so this is the first map I'll be able to use. Other maps require vanilla TTR decks, because the Marklin deck has a unique distribution due to passenger cards and 4+ locomotives.

A friend of mine uses Marklin as a base game for years for different expansions. Just use 4+ cards as normal locomotives as many as needed and there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad there is a whole new deck of cards ! very useful for any T2R lover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirdan14 wrote:
h00sha wrote:

A friend of mine uses Marklin as a base game for years for different expansions. Just use 4+ cards as normal locomotives as many as needed and there you go.

You can of course do so, but there are fewer coloured cards in the Märklin deck (11 of each, not 12 as in a standard deck), which leads to slightly more difficulties to get the longer streaks of one colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Raita
Finland
LOHJA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would also need six locos for Nordic and six for Zug um Zug Deutschland, and still it wouldn't be compatible with Märklin. Also there are two sizes of US train cards.

This way it's compatible with all base games, and as others have pointed out, the new cards would stand out from an eagerly played deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the full deck of cards has contributed to its fairly high $ price.
It is more expensive than many stand alone games.

Six locomotive cards for each base game type would have suited me (but then again I sleeve cards so wear and tear doesn't really occur).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
My cards are so worn, that it would have mattered. It would be obvious when one of the new locomotives was on to of the draw pile.

What?! You don't sleeve your decks? That's like visiting a hooker and not wearing a rubber!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anness
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
l-hansen wrote:

What?! You don't sleeve your decks? That's like visiting a hooker and not wearing a rubber!

The majority of gamers don't sleeve their cards lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the artwork on the new deck, and its very very clear for noobs which are the Locos. I am going to use it on other sets with the 6 extra Locos removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
l-hansen wrote:
My cards are so worn, that it would have mattered. It would be obvious when one of the new locomotives was on top of the draw pile.

We sleeve almost nothing. It feels better to play naked. Worst case, you have to buy a new set of cards, or, if they're that worn out, a complete new game. I'll leave the rest of the (disgusting/male-centric) metaphor to you, but plastic-sleeved cards are unpleasant to the touch.

I did sleeve a second set of Sushi Go! so we can teach the game to our 7-year old, and plan on doing the same with a second set of Bohnanza. But the grown-up sets remain unsleeved, well-loved and as comfortable as old jeans (and they are lovely to shuffle and bridge!)
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:

We sleeve almost nothing. It feels better to play naked. Worst case, you have to buy a new set of cards, or, if they're that worn out, a complete new game. I'll leave the rest of the (disgusting/male-centric) metaphor to you, but plastic-sleeved cards are unpleasant to the touch.

Thank you for commenting. I also felt that comment was out of place here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.