Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Hi All,

I have just realized that the rules about hunter defeat tell us to remove a defeated hunter's figure from the board and replace it at a hospital during the next dawn.

I have two questions about this rule. The first one is, what are the things that a defeated hunter can and cannot do while their figure is removed from the board? I assume they cannot take actions or use any cards.

But, if the rules are followed strictly as written defeated hunters discard their hand of item and event cards when placed at the hospital, so do they get to use them in the mean time?

My second question is where in the Dawn phase would you replace defeated hunters? I guess, it would be after the time track is advanced, but before the combat check. But i can't really think of any difference it might make.

PS: After re-reading my post, I came to think it silly. Common sense dictates that a hunter whose figure is removed from the board should be treated as if temporarily removed from the game. So, no actions, no cards, no nothing But still, I wanted to get your rule lawyering opinion on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Microbadge: Food Chain Magnate fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Haas BioroidMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - JintekiMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on Kickstarter
Quote:

Common sense dictates that a hunter whose figure is removed from the board should be treated as if temporarily removed from the game. So, no actions, no cards, no nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Strat-o-Matic Baseball fanMicrobadge: Wingspan fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
I would agree with your interpretation: defeated hunter passes until placed at the hospital. I'd put the figure on the character card turned on its side (delayed) as a reminder that if an action phase comes up, they can only pass.

On second thought, I might put the hunter figure on the location card he was defeated at, in order to better determine which hospital he ends up at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Discworld: Ankh-Morpork fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: J. R. R. Tolkien fan
I have moved defeated hunters to the appropriate hospital immediately and removed all their cards bitemarks and blood tokens - they are able to move into the hospital during the first day phase thereafter in therir newly refreshed and unburdened state.

Cant't see it needs to be done more complicated than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Imperial 2030 fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Cyclades fanMicrobadge: Sons of Anarchy fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General: 1914: Sustain Sea Battle: You battle an enemy Navy... However, the war will be won on land.
canisin wrote:
Common sense
I think in the general frenzy about how 'terrible' these rules are, people are forgetting that common sense is often a decent guide in these games.

Most of the time, it will get you through.

So, your hunter has been defeated by Dracula so badly he needs to be medivaced to Madrid.

Would the game designers have intended for that hunter now to use all their powers and cards in between the defeat and waking up in the hospital?

I'm going to go on a limb here and say, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
MrMT wrote:
canisin wrote:
Common sense
I think in the general frenzy about how 'terrible' these rules are, people are forgetting that common sense is often a decent guide in these games.

Most of the time, it will get you through.

So, your hunter has been defeated by Dracula so badly he needs to be medivaced to Madrid.

Would the game designers have intended for that hunter now to use all their powers and cards in between the defeat and waking up in the hospital?

I'm going to go on a limb here and say, no.
True indeed. As I had written in my original post, even I found my own question to be silly. Just left it here in case some other confused player might come around and find your answers helpful.

I also have a follow up question!

In combat with multiple hunters, if one of the hunters is defeated while resolving dracula's combat card, does that hunter's combat card get cancelled? The rule reference explicitly tells us that combat end immediately if needs be, but defeat of a single hunter is not mentioned explicitly. So would you remove that hunter immediately or wait till end of round. My own guess is the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I log my plays with SPLU!Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
canisin wrote:
In combat with multiple hunters, if one of the hunters is defeated while resolving dracula's combat card, does that hunter's combat card get cancelled? The rule reference explicitly tells us that combat end immediately if needs be, but defeat of a single hunter is not mentioned explicitly. So would you remove that hunter immediately or wait till end of round. My own guess is the former.
Good question! The rules as written seem to imply the answer is no, as the combat ends "if all hunters in the combat are defeated after Dracula resolves his revealed card’s effect" (bolding mine).

That implies that the combat does not end if only one of two hunters is defeated. But the next step is to resolve the hunters' combat cards, and there's nothing to say that the defeated hunter's combat card is removed in this case.

I guess you could say that thematically, having to defend against two hunters leaves Dracula open to a "dying blow" from the defeated one.

But my inclination would be to say a defeated hunter is immediately removed from combat and their card is cancelled. That seems to make nmore sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Imperial 2030 fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Cyclades fanMicrobadge: Sons of Anarchy fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General: 1914: Sustain Sea Battle: You battle an enemy Navy... However, the war will be won on land.
xipuloxx wrote:

But my inclination would be to say a defeated hunter is immediately removed from combat and their card is cancelled. That seems to make nmore sense.
Mine would be too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
Well, if we read the letter of the rules, there is no mention at all of removing a defeated hunter from combat, so maybe the defeated hunters remain in combat and continue fighting until all hunters are defeated and combat finally ends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bob Dylan fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fanMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game fan
canisin wrote:
so maybe the defeated hunters remain in combat and continue fighting
Not much of a defeat then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG posterMicrobadge: I'm a Terraforming Mars fan!
If he is delayed at the time of his defeat, does he remain delayed on his next turn, and cannot move out of the hospital?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls