Subject: Designing a Scenario - what you you want to see rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I am not designing my own scenario yet, but I am certainly looking forward to doing that, and definitely have some thoughts on what I would like to see in scenarios I play through. I have a feeling there's a bunch of others out there who have their own ideas, so why not try to put them in the same place.

So, here's what I'm looking for in a good scenario:

1) If you have multiple players, use them. Don't be afraid to use puzzles where you want players in different locations to make things easier (for example, keeping two potential assailants apart) or even to solve the puzzle entirely (for example, two switches that need to be thrown simultaneously).

2) Related to 1 above, don't be afraid to change up the number of players to match the scenario. If you can get through everything with one player, don't be afraid to say it's a solo scenario.

3) Make interesting use of the Time Track. Set time limits for a puzzle to be solved or something bad happens, change triggers based on when the players get there on the time track. Overall, I think it currently hurts the game (why should everything be a race against time to resolve, when mini events to crank up tension could be so much more interesting?), but it can be quite useful in other roles.

4) Make players' choices matter. The Token system is great in giving you a way to track what choices have been made, and using the Location Map updates can also really change up how a scenario plays out from run to run. Don't fall into the Sierra Adventure trap and have too many fail states in the game, however.

5) Tied in to above, don't be afraid to have players only see half the cards in a successful run through your scenario. This gives players a reason to run through it again and try different paths (even if they all have the same conclusion).

6) Don't be afraid to split your story into multiple parts. Many a P&C adventure game has 5-6 different chapters before all is said and done, each with their own set of distinct locations and objects.

So, with all that said, what do you all want to see in fan-made expansions in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Magius wrote:
If you can get through everything with one player, don't be afraid to say it's a solo scenario.

But that would kill the story-telling of the game. Its the best bit is the shared story, the discussing of the game after you fail/win.

Its like Wrigley's Gum. Great to chew. Better to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I feel the setting exploration and seeing the way the story plays out is the strongest part of the game, and getting to share it with friends is a strong second. Mostly, what I'm saying is to know the story you're trying to tell. If you're telling a story that a single character should be able to do, and don't have any good reason to include multiple characters, don't be afraid to say that its playable by 1 player or even a solo scenario.

Of course, the flip side to that is if you have multiple characters in the scenario, use them. Have puzzles that get easier if the group spreads out, or cannot be done alone. Force choices between finding the ticking time bomb by spreading out and grouping up to get through a tricky problem quickly (granted, the basic game does that already - but I feel putting an arbitrary time limit on the overall scenario hampers my enjoyment of the game; better it be focused on two or three scenes in the scenario to crank up tension at the proper times).

All in all, know the number of players you're designing the scenario for, and go all out on that number. Be it 1, 2, or 5, design the scenario for that number of players. Don't compromise the story for an idea of the number of players you should be catering to for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.