Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
I have custody of my five year girl 50% of the week, with alternating weekends. About a year ago, I bought a house in a somewhat rural area (average space between houses is about 2-3 acres), so there isn't really a defined "neighborhood." She goes to school about 20-25 minutes away in a different district, so her classmates are not what I would consider nearby.

I'm now running into a situation where there doesn't appear to be any kids her age in the immediate vicinity, and her only playmates are generally myself, my girlfriend, and very occasionally the neighbors' kids... who are significantly older.

So - how does one go about finding nearby children for potential playmates? I've looked into online meetup groups, and there's nothing for us in my area.

I've considered drafting a variation on "we're new to the area and looking for younger kids for play dates" letter and stuffing it into all the mailboxes within a quarter mile radius. Genius idea? Creepy? Ineffective?

I grew up in a small city, so there was no shortage of children around to play with... This is a situation I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a park with a playground in your town? Just going there works.

Also, my kids' school publishes a list of parent's phone numbers for the class. Even though her classmates aren't nearby, having a classmate over for a weekend afternoon is a good way to help her make friends, and for you to meet more parents; ask her who in her class she'd like to have over, then call their parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Microbadge: Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.Microbadge: A dingo ate my baby!Microbadge: Chit Chat EPYC games fanMicrobadge: This badge goes to 16Microbadge: FlagPoll user
We lived in a neighborhood where the only children seemed to be 15+, so my daughter went and did everything with us. She had some friends at school, but that was a school near the caregiver's house, so no one near home.
We eventually signed her up for dance classes, and she made a lot of friends there.
Instead of the playground, maybe find out what's going on at the community center-- assuming you've got one, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You live in the sticks now. you are going to have to get used to driving 30 minutes to take your kids places. Let her play with her friends from class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 7 Wonders fanMicrobadge: Bargain QuestMicrobadge: I like Grand Austria HotelMicrobadge: Kodama: The Tree Spirits fanMicrobadge: Hot Tin Roof fan
I would also go with the sign her up for something idea.

Baseball, soccer , dance, girlscouts, library group....dosnt really matter as long as she is interested in it. These types of activites tend to also lend well to parents making friends and an easier time of arranging playdates.

I would start with the library and see if they have more info for kids programs in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in the countryside. We had friends 100m down the road but apart from that my parents did a lot of driving. Friends, clubs, school teams. I have serious happy memories because of them doing that, even when they didn't feel like it probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: The Bermuda Crisis: Discovery Dawning (Second Edition) fanMicrobadge: Amateur MagicianMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Michigan State University
Where's the closest hobby store? I used to drive pretty far for MTG tournaments and it was worth it; just make a day trip out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign her up for interesting classes. My son has made two best friends at Tae Kwon Do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
We just relied on classmates, neighbor kids and fellow scouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls