Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if instead of extra resources or modifying the encounter deck, you got to chose your starting 6 cards, like Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn? It would give your deck more consistency in drawing the must have cards and give you a better start. Plus it could lead to more deck options, instead of 3 Light of Valinor, you might only need the 1, giving you a chance to include two other cards. Is this too game breaking? Maybe you would only start with 5 cards instead of 6. Just a crazy idea I had to get people's decks moving faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of decks where if you chose your starting hand, it's near impossible to lose. With most my decks, just a guaranteed two or three cards in hand at the start means I'll steamroll the encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was discussed recently on the offical forum actually:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/188985-would-...

Personally I believe it would make the game more of a chore, as you're actions, the player's actions, are now mostly predetermined before you play. It would take away a lot of desision making making the game more boring to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
United States
Hugo
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason this can work in Ashes is because of the metered action system. Even if you build your hand to fire off a huge combo, your opponent will have opportunities to keep pace by building their own or responding to yours. The back and forth of main and side actions between Phoenixborn make broken combos nigh impossible (at least with the base set).

Not so with LotR. Since players can play actions and combos to their heart's content before the encounter deck has anything to say about it, setting up a hand can really hurt the momentum of the encounter deck.

That said, play how you want. No one's watching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen a similar variation to this where each player is allowed to choose 1 card from the deck to include in the opening hand. That way you can get out your Steward of Gondor or Silver Harp or whatever your "must have" card is as soon as possible.

Personally, I'd add, if doing this no mulligan is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Jacobs
Belgium
Lichtaart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, when playing a favorite (theme) deck, if I don't get what I need after the mulligan, I just start over.
I started to do so with Heirs of numenor, since I loved my deck so much, I played and played, losing after losing. Until I saw what I needed.
Then continued to mulligan until I had a decent hand to start.
Still lost a few games.
For the "The Siege of Cair Andros" quest, I lost about 100 times and finally had to give up on my most favorite 2 hands deck. Finally after maybe 200 games and several deck's, I finally belated the quest and went for another run, then after a few losses, I won again.
I think I should get an award for not giving up. Anyhow, it was extremely satisfactory.
Between you and me, it will be a while before I ever play that quest again!
Still my favorite game Solo. Well maybe my favorite game all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a variant of easy-mode with my daughter on accident. Somehow I forgot about the starting resources, so we've always played easy mode as "remove the marked cards from the encounter deck" and that's it.

I guess we've been playing medium mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this the other day, mostly because I've been playing a lot of Ashes lately. I've never been happy with the defined Easy Mode in LOTR, because it doesn't address some of the things that make the game intrinsically difficult. It doesn't really matter whether there are 5 or 3 Black Rider cards in the encounter deck; with an unlucky shuffle, you can still get brutally murdered by the "easy" encounter deck.

Having an extra resource on each hero at the start of the game is nice, but it just doesn't have the appropriate impact, if the cards that you need to spend those resources on are buried at the bottom of your deck. Indeed, the simplest way to make the game easier is to ensure that the most important cards in your deck make it into your hand when you need them.

I agree, however, that it could become too easy and a little boring if you can choose your entire opening hand. Here's my proposal for a new Easy Mode:

-----------------------------------------------------

1. Ignore the FFG rules for Easy Mode. No extra resources, no altering the encounter deck.

2. During setup, before drawing your opening hand, select 1 card from your deck for each hero you are using, and add it to your hand. Each card you choose must either match the resource type of the hero, or be a Neutral card. For example, if you have 2 Spirit heroes and 1 Lore hero, then you could choose 2 Spirit cards and 1 Lore card. For Gandalf, you'd have to choose a Neutral card. You also cannot choose more than one copy of the same card.

3. To finish your opening hand, shuffle and draw from your deck until you have 6 cards. No mulligan.

4. Play the rest of the game as normal.

-----------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm hopeful that this will make the game easier without going too far. I only play solo, but this variant has the added benefit that not every player in the game has to follow these rules (some could use the standard setup if they want).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls