Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: AFV combat/cover questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Three short AFV questions (4th edition):

1. According to rule 30.7 an AFV may enter a hex with an enemy AFV.
How do you handle defensive fire in this case?
If my tank/sp gun enters the hex of an enemy tank/sp gun, can the enemy tank/sp gun defensive fire at me in its hex?
If YES, at what range and at what side is the defensive fire resolved?

2. According to rule 30.5 a vehicle can change its facing after it moves into a new hex.
How do you handle defensive fire in this case?
Is the defensive fire resolved BEFORE the vehicle changes its facing or is it resolved AFTER the vehicle changes its facing or can the player of the defensive fire unit DECIDE if he wants to fire before or after the facing change?

3. Rule 32.3 states that vehicles never block LOS when traced from an adjacent hex.
But the diagram of rule 32.7 on page 10 seems to contradict that rule.
In this diagram LOS line C is defined as "blocked".
But, as you can see, LOS line C is traced from an adjacent hex and therefore should not be blocked (according to rule 32.3).
Is the diagram incorrect?

Thanks

Fred
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
Quote:
1. According to rule 30.7 an AFV may enter a hex with an enemy AFV.
How do you handle defensive fire in this case?
Generally, attacks between opponents in the same hex are conducted during the Close Combat phase, an AFV can not normally fire in the same hex during the dfph/mph. (Exceptions: Overruns, immobilized AFVs [Q&A 30.7]) See Q&A 36.22.

Quote:
2. According to rule 30.5 a vehicle can change its facing after it moves into a new hex. How do you handle defensive fire in this case?
you may dfph at each change of the hex-spine.
One may change CA in the start hex at a 2MF cost. This MF expenditure allows dfph in the start hex, an exception to rule 16.4.

Quote:
3. Rule 32.3 states that vehicles never block LOS when traced from an adjacent hex. But the diagram of rule 32.7 on page 10 seems to contradict that rule. In this diagram LOS line C is defined as "blocked".
The diagram is wrong.

So is the one at the top of the page, showing an AFV in S2. The example incorrectly states it causes Hull Down status but only wrecks can (32.3). They changed the rule but not the example.

half of 58.4 dropped off the 4th edition on the way to the printers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Just to be sure:

Q2: So I can fire either; at the moment the tank enters a hex in LOS of a DF unit(before a facing change) or I can fire AFTER the tank changes facing in said hex; my decision, right?

Fred
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
yes, you have the opportunity to fire at each hex-spine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls