Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am used to the physical version and I like being able to see things like how many of each industry tile there is for each level, even higher ones. Ok I just looked up the piece count online and system is rather predictable for each industry. Coal level 1 is the only exception. Other than that it's rather clear how much

I also can't seem to spot if the coal factory I placed the board has any coal on it. It's early in the game. I built coal. Someone built an iron factory there afterwards and I think that's it. As far as I recall it should have one coal left but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you press the coal button on the left, it shows all the locations on the map with coal and the amount of coal remaining on each (as well as showing the coal market).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, being able to know what's about both sides of a tile would be nice. I bet all the information is there though. I'll look again around lunch time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shmello50 wrote:
If you press the coal button on the left, it shows all the locations on the map with coal and the amount of coal remaining on each (as well as showing the coal market).
Really?! I'm staggered that such basic information isn't displayed all the time.

Looks like the developers really chose form over function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Roy wrote:
Shmello50 wrote:
Really?! I'm staggered that such basic information isn't displayed all the time.

I've only played the beta. In it, you can see all the industries and whether they're flipped or not. It was only the amount of commodity which wasn't on the default display. The UI was acceptable to me.

I was concerned about the AI in the beta. It wasn't playing a competent game, especially in the last few moves. The AI players would pass the last several turns. At the very least humans build rail links in those turns.

Interested to hear reports as to whether the AI in improved in the final release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
ios version - good but am I missing something?
Yeah... the correct place to post your question.

As this is a question strictly about the digital implementation, it really should go on Videogamegeek instead. The questions you're asking have more to do with the app than the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:

As this is a question strictly about the digital implementation, it really should go on Videogamegeek instead. The questions you're asking have more to do with the app than the game itself.

You've been Thunkd'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bingle
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:

Care to provide a link? When I search for Brass on VGG, I get nothing. But maybe I am missing something too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
brewdinar wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:

You've been Thunkd'
AKA, "Dope Slap" shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, and it is a fantastic place to go if you want a question answered by no one ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AI seems to just go for early cotton every time, shipping 1 or 2 at a time. Once I've figured that out it seems like it is pretty easy to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded and my first impression is that it is a very pretty rendition of the board-game. All the information is available on one screen and the GUI is well designed after you get to know the niggly details. A tutorial is provided which is reasonably well done only lacking some strategy tips. You can play solo in either a three or four player game. I assume you can substitute other humans for the AI when wishing to play in the hot-seat mode, although you can't name the humans you just have to remember your colour assignment.

Played twice: both solitaire with me as only human. One with four players the other with three. Won both by a wide margin. Whoever designed the AI routines couldn't have been very experienced players. Way too many level one cotton mills and not a lot of patience before delivering cotton (action inefficiency), and an extreme reluctance to spend two cards to do something important when up against the gun. At the end of the four player game all the AI players were passing in place of up to four actions - surely there was something they could have done?!?

The only thing that this has going over the online website (Order of the Hammer) is the ability to play solo (ideally to hone your skills) - but that one feature is severely hampered by the dismal AI programming. I hope this game will be supported, and some serious tweaking of the AI contemplated - they do say a Log function is being planned, so my hope is that they will roll some AI improvements into that release...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Roy wrote:
Shmello50 wrote:

I've been playing it 2 or 3 times a day since release. It is fantastic. Still, the AI could be smarter, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric_Tama wrote:
AI seems to just go for early cotton every time, shipping 1 or 2 at a time. Once I've figured that out it seems like it is pretty easy to beat.
Yea. As it does that I fill up the coal or iron demands as needed. And I end up shipping only 1 or 2 cotton per age, on average. If at all. And I get the shipyards as they don't seem to go for those.

My latest game this morning was a little different. They also develop ports a lot when they might want to consider building an industry (as a human player I rarely develop once the price gets past 2 or 3, but the AI seems to ignore that). Maybe their cards worked better for them when reacting to the board, because they built way more coal and iron than before. This session this morning was 3 player.

And I think maybe the AI steps over itself a lot in 4 player. Meaning that 3 AIs trying to do a similar strategy (sell lots of cotton!) is likely to get into trouble.

And lastly, I've been playing a multiplayer game of brass with the app. Doesn't seem to tell me it's my turn via notification. Though sometimes I get a strange message in a foreign language. Perhaps that's the turn notification? Ok Yes. "twoja tura w grze sieciowej" = "your turn in a network game". And the other was "gra sieciowa przerwana - gracz odszed" which means "Network game interrupted - the player gone". Detected language is polish. Still I don't think I consistently get the turn notification message when it's my turn. That said, many of my board game apps have this problem so I'm used to it.

Playing it async is fun. But I do want to try a game online with a smaller time limit next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the size of the community for online async play so far? Is it common to login only to find no open games? Or are there usually plenty to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
What is the size of the community for online async play so far? Is it common to login only to find no open games? Or are there usually plenty to choose from?
Seems decent so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kosciolek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments! It seems that stronger AI is the most common feature requested and we will be fixing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:

Yea. As it does that I fill up the coal or iron demands as needed. And I end up shipping only 1 or 2 cotton per age, on average. If at all. And I get the shipyards as they don't seem to go for those.
Works every time. Throw in a level 2 port at Warrington and Runcorn in the canal phase to build rail around Manchester at the start of the rail phase and that beats the AI without fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls