Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I've been looking for the perfect capital ship engagement game, all sorts of interesting ones out there...but you know, when it comes down to it, I feel like this one had it all - diverse factions, abilities, great terrain. I was hoping Star Wars armada would draw more from it, but it didn't.

Is it too much to hope that FFG would revive this? Perhaps as Battlefleet Gothic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefleet gothic is probably taken, considering this:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Games-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - that's some very intriguing news. I wish I had more going with Battlefleet Gothic, but that rules set was sooooo over-complicated (for my tastes).

Heck, I wouldn't mind a straight reboot of TI: Armada, but I just don't see that happening with FFG's current direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connelly
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I just did an inventory of my Twilight Imperium: Amarda collection, thousands of discs. And I'm very impressed with the game design - building your ship loadouts with crew and technology, building your fleet from a good variety of ships, 4 different races... this looks like such a neat game. But no one to play with

A couple of the mechanics I dislike are the "dropping" and "flipping", but that's okay. There's enough good stuff here to make it fun to play. So why is it dead? It's much cheaper and more portable than comparable miniatures games.

I don't get why some games succeed and others don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! I almost want to work on an armada 2.0 that gets rid of some of the quirky mechanics (like the dropping mechanic for damage, can just replace that with roll x number of dice and hit on a 4+).

Now...you say you have thousands of discs, any duplicates from the Incursion expansion you wouldn't mind parting with? I sadly was never able to get the full playset...and incursion had all those fixes to fighter spam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dropped it due to a social media faceplant by FFG. Just to illustrate that not everything is about the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Erskineville
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
I dropped it due to a social media faceplant by FFG. Just to illustrate that not everything is about the game itself.
More details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allensaurusrex wrote:
Bwian wrote:
More details?
Meh. It was a long time ago.

For purposes of this discussion, the relevant part is that I stopped buying this game because I was pissed off at FFG, not because of any flaw in the game itself. I would probably even pick up a reissue, as long as it wasn't in collectible format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woofalot wrote:
But no one to play with
Move to Indiana. (No, don't really.) Anyone around Purdue University want to play?

The collectible format mixed with a relatively high price point for the boosters (compared to collectible cards) and a relatively unknown fiction made it a hard sell. However, I did and do love the game. Even the wonky damage drops and flip movement. There was the Star Trek version as well, but I had no interest in that.

Gonna have to pull this out and pick someone to play. Maybe give them all my disks of a faction and let them come back with their own fleet build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls