Subject: Confusing rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gonçalo Cunha Neves
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I recently received my Kickstarter pledge.

I never thought very highly of the Heroes of Normandie rulebook... but this new one is even more confusing.

Even though sometimes it explains things a little better... most of the time it seems to me that they assume we already know how to play.

English is not my native tongue (thank you captain obvious ) but given the number of games I own and rules I´ve read... I normally get things going fairly quicly.

Somehow this is not true for HoN and SoN... So I end up not being able to teach it to my wife and it gets a whole lot of shelf time blush

The game mechanics seem simple but I struggle with the organization of the rulebook...

Is it just me?

Given my lack of playtime with HoN... it was probably a mistake to support SoN...

But I´ll be damned if both games don´t look awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
Microbadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fan
Rules are the great handicup of Heroes of Normandie. I have the basic game and all the expansions with scenarios (Carentan, D-Day adn St. Mere Eglise) and rules are not exactly clear and well redacted. Lots of missings and confusing parts, contradictions, "holes"... So it is no strange to me that Shadows has the same problem.

Devil Pig´s products are beautifully finished from an aesthetic point of view, but unfortunatelly they need very well revised and redacted rules. I´m getting disappointed with the series, and I intended to buy SoN, but I´m starting to doubt now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
This was posted on their Facebook page recently:

Clem commented: "We will ask a professionnal editor for english rules. We also will publish the pdf long before the printing to let the community help us to track mistakes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fought to get some of the rules clarified (I could not do anything about the overall structure but thought I had some decent success getting things in the right place (move step summary, firing steps, and some others). If you had seen the earlier draft you would know the scale of the fight

Can you be more specific on areas where you were having issues? I will compile them and pass them on to try and improve the upcoming compendium. I don't have any official capacity, just a desire to have the best rulebook I can get .

Edit to clarify: I am just a volunteer rules auditor on the SoN book. I am not the "professional editor" that Clem mentioned regarding the Compendium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
Microbadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Civilization fan
jimmcmahon wrote:
This was posted on their Facebook page recently:

Clem commented: "We will ask a professionnal editor for english rules. We also will publish the pdf long before the printing to let the community help us to track mistakes."
So we will have to paid twice for the same thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Microbadge: Video Game ArtistMicrobadge: Obsidian Entertainment fanMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Silence! I kill you!Microbadge: Get off my lawn!
They're doing a KS for a new rulebook? Well, that's bizarre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truls Rostrup
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a mess.

Fex, does anyone know if the characters who have the power to reroll one die, is this power limited to rolls that affect/effectuated by them, or can it be any die roll in the game? The rules, AFAIK, are silent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Savièse
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gameluis wrote:
If you want it printed... If the .pdf is published you'll find it for free I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
dYnkYn wrote:
Gameluis wrote:
If you want it printed... If the .pdf is published you'll find it for free I guess.
I don´t think it will be for free...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls