10 Posts

Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dracula fights are always at night?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula is stronger at night, so, no one wants to face him at night, but the problem is that when you move and catch dracula you go to dusk phase which makes you fight dracula at night... If no one loses (someone retreats) you go to night phase where players can't move (at least one player is still in dracula's location) and then dracula moves (usually away) and then it's dawn... When dawn comes dracula isn't there anymore.... So unless I'm missing something the only way you fight dracula at dawn is if he wants to fight you and moves to a place where a player is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casualist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, thats how it's supposed to work. The initiator of the fight is always at a disadvantage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Casualist wrote:
Yup, thats how it's supposed to work. The initiator of the fight is always at a disadvantage...
Yes, this is by design. If Dracula wants to fight a hunter, it's daytime, and if the hunters want to fight Dracula, it's night time.

This is by far better than the way it worked in first edition where it was day or night depending on a die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Kaworu17 wrote:

This is by far better than the way it worked in first edition where it was day or night depending on a die roll.
Or second edition where the day and night lasted so long you could travel all over Europe before the sun went down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
While the Dusk & Dawn phases have thematic names, it seems to me they would be thematically identical. Both are partial sunlight. So this is purely done for mechanical reasons I think.

But you can rationalise it thematically also, I think...

It's a given fact Dracula can only travel outside when the sun is down. Thematically, he is then travelling during the night and by the time he tracks down the hunter in the location he travels to it's starting to get light outside, and he has the disadvantage.

Conversely the hunters don't dare travel cross country at night as they would be easy prey. But once they arrive in the same city as Dracula and have time to seek out his exact hideout, night is drawing in.

I believe the hunters can choose to fight vampires in the daytime, but it will cost the their precious daytime move action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely part of the design and reinforces the cat and mouse aspect of the game. Since Dracula always has to move (barring a few Power cards), it can be possible to cover most escape routes from a city once he has been found, forcing a daytime confrontation once he moves, or allowing the hunters the chance to know where he moved to by process of elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mb
Also, the hunter event card called 'Long Night'! That card allows the hunters to move at night (albeit at a cost) allowing them to initiate a dawn/daytime combat.

Keep the hunters close, and when you bump into Dracula in the morning and find out his current location, suffer night time combat and escape, play the night phase, then dracula phase. Now dracula is hopefully very nearby, so play the Long Night at dawn. Move hunters in the morning trying to find dracula again, suffer night time combat again, but now converge all hunters on dracula during the night time and have a 4v1 with him in the morning!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eruantalon _
msg tools
mb
Won't Drac first have his phase and a chance to move out before Dusk (and thus - combat) happens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eruantalon wrote:
Won't Drac first have his phase and a chance to move out before Dusk (and thus - combat) happens?
Yes he will, unless other effects prevent it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, a Dawn combat is usually only happening if Drac wants it to (such as to finish off a wounded Hunter, especially if they are in a good position to first use feed or dark call)

On the other hand, daytime combat isn't uncommon when ambushing wth a vampire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls