Popular Tags: [View All]
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanksgiving is just two weeks away. My aunt hosts a party for the extended family every year and I bring the games of course. I have anywhere between 4 - 8 players of various levels of board game experience and sobriety to play with throughout the day. I'm looking for family friendly (G rated - no CAH) games that would be fun to play with a mixed crowd on Thanksgiving.

Last year I brought Say Anything, Castle Panic, & Pairs. What should I bring this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does 7 wonders go over with your family?
perhaps Sushi Go! would get the rest to that level?
do you want to buy a new game for this?
more party type or some of the gateway type of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan F
United States
California
flag msg tools
Code Names
Mysterium (Polish version)
Cheeky Monkey
Time's Up
Bohnanza
Spyfall
maybe La Boca
maybe Mord Im Arosa
maybe Shadow Hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of games you have, I'd say Love Letter, Tsuro, or perhaps Paperback...of games that you might want to pick up between now and then, I'd say Codenames, 6 Nimmt!, Dixit: Odyssey, or Electronic Catch Phrase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation..

Here's what I'm looking at getting to the table, most are already in my collection, with perhaps 2 new purchases...

The Resistance - this and Saboteur are standard party games which we usually pull out for mixed crowds.. far enough from traditional boardgames, but easy enough to teach to a mixed crowd.

Bohnanza - I have Ladybohn version, which is entirely in German, we shall see...

Get Bit! - I don't own this, but i've played my friends copy.. seems very easy to teach and is alot of fun... thinking about picking this one up on Amazon.com just for thanksgiving.

Great Wall of China - I really like this game, we'll see how it works out...

Dragon Parade - more fun(ny) than I thought it would be... depending on how the night goes, this might make it to the table...

Biblios - I've read good things about this one and it seeme interesting.. I'm planning on picking it up on Amazon next week, but its only 4 players, so I'm not sure if it'll get to the table at Thanksgiving..

These last 2 games we played at a Family Graduation party last June, and they went over well.. So we'll likely get them to the table again:

Manila - This is a fun game, theme especially works well, since my wife's and her family are Filipino

Roll For It! Deluxe Edition - Easy to teach, non-offensive in nature..

we've also played Dixit: Odyssey and Machi Koro in the past with some success...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind getting a new game. It seems like party games go over the best, but I personally would rather play gateway games.

Anyone try out Snake Oil? It got some good reviews a couple of years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petrie
United States
Bowdoinham
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently brought Telestrations to a gathering and had a blast with it, you need at least one mediocre artist/guesser to really make it interesting.

In another mixed age group we played Cash and Guns with a lot of sucess. I don't know if the theme would turn you off from it though. We also played Sheriff of Nottingham withthe same geoup but it is a little more involved.

Lastly, Coconuts... but that kind of depends on size of kids/pets around, don't need someone inhaling a little rubber coconut. Alternatively bling bling gemstone, or rhino hero.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your collection I'd go with