Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I keep going back and forth on this game, and was actually a bit disappointed that the Kickstarter got pushed back because I had hopes that it would address my issue.

So here's the thing, I've been on the lookout for a fun accessible capital ship style game. Up to this point, my favorite has been the little known Fantasy Flight Games disk game, Twilight Imperium: Armada. The only reason I'm (always) looking is that game died an early death before really being rounded out - and suffered from the hideous random distribution collection scheme.

Now, here's what's holding me back from diving in on Fleet Commander: minimal asymmetric player powers. Yes, I know about the special weapon, but that's only one ship, the rest is really very similar. In comparison, Armada had four factions, each with differing strengths and weaknesses, but essentially with the same weapons (but one faction might have better beam weapons, while another faction specialized in torpedoes, etc.).

I'm also aware of the fleet composition options, but again, that just doesn't seem like it'll give me the asymmetric feel that I really love in games. I did see that in the KS that just delayed, they were planning on adding a ship that was specialized to the two existing factions...so I was intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mackie
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's something that niggled me about the game too but this is starting to get addressed with the kickstarter. In the kickstarter Fleet Commander Genesis will introduce named Fleet Commander special characters which should add a bit of character to your fleet.

There are two expansions coming with the kickstarter which begin to address this too

Salvation has technical ships and each side will have their own unique abilities

Avatar has the standard class 5 heavy battleship but there are empire specific variants available, the Hegemony of Amycles gets the Dreadnought and the League of Phoebe gets a Carrier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Check my review of it...

This doesn't really feel like a "fleet" game. It feels like an abstract game with a fleet battles theme on top of it.

Even with variable powers, i'm not sure it would be a substitute for Armada or other fleet battle games.

It's a good game, but it's definitely not like anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, just read your review, sad to say this doesn't sound like my cup of tea then - I'm definitely more of an Ameritrash gamer, not really a fan of abstract... I'll still check out the kickstarter to be safe. Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got it and I like it, but it's not a miniatures game or something akin to Halo: Fleet Battles – The Fall of Reach or Firestorm Armada if that's what you were hoping for or expecting. This is really a board game with fleet movement and attack elements. At heart it's a tactical strategy game of positioning and hoping for the best attack and defense die rolls. You're actions are going to be driving by what comes up on the dice and not by an open table-top game movement type strategy. I think it's a good lead-in to table top games like the ones I mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls