Subject: Can Development Track be ignored ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wooden cube fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: Ludovox reviewerMicrobadge: Ludovox reader
I like Orléans, I feel like its a brilliant design thumbsup
But after several games, I have a regret : in all our games, only players with high Developpement value stand a chance to win. Other meaningful fact is that Scholars are often first to run out.

No matter if you focused on building a lot of Trading Stations, or if you choose to grab some Citizens on Tracks / Beneficial Deeds, in the end, you need a Developpement status of 4 or 5 to valorize your strategy.

This track also gives some good direct points and, as if it was not enough, the "Income" event comes on top of that.

I know there is some complains on events already, and an official variant, but it doesn't seems to be changing anything towards this.
Am I the only one facing this issue ?

If some more experienced players can elaborate other ways to be competitive, I would be very grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Microbadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: GameChat League - Mafia Division: "A mob is forming."
I'm no Orleans master, but in all the games I have played, the player who wins has gone up at least some on the development track. I think they usually go to at least the "4" level.

Since the development level there gives you coins a few times for going up, and it is beneficial during some events, and it is needed to make citizens and trade houses worth more, it does seem like you need to move on that track.

You do not have to be the highest person on the track - I have been at the 4 and someone else maxed out the track, and I still beat them. However, I don't think you can ignore it entirely with the normal rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico W.
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Village fanMicrobadge: The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Splendor fanMicrobadge: Alea Iacta Est fan
Yes, you can win without going high up on the development track! I know there is at least one strategy where you can win by only needing one scholar, sometimes you don't even travel with that strategy.

Start with taking the bathhouse and the laboratory. Take a scholar and start using the laboratory (starting by putting a technology tile on the laboratory itself). Go up the Knights-track to draw more meeples from the bag. Get monks. Take the building that gives you 4 coins and put a technology tile on it; By using the bathhouse you can get 8 points a turn. Try to gain 2 other buildings that give you points and also use technology tiles here to activate them easily. Go up the farmer track.

If you can pull this of, you should be able to score over 160 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wooden cube fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: Ludovox reviewerMicrobadge: Ludovox reader
Thanks for taking time to describe this, I shall try next time the game opening seems appropriate. Some details are unclear though.

N2xU wrote:
Take the building that gives you 4 coins and put a technology tile on it; By using the bathhouse you can get 8 points a turn.
Do you play with the original or revised version of the Bathhouse ? In french Matagot version, the rule is 1 token out of 2 from the bag, so it seems quite uncertain to get a second monk...

N2xU wrote:
Try to gain 2 other buildings that give you points and also use technology tiles here to activate them easily.
Maybe you mean good producing buildings ? Otherwise there is just the Brewery giving 2 coins for one Monk, cannot be improved with technology.

N2xU wrote:
If you can pull this of, you should be able to score over 160 points.
Alright, this sounds like a good final score. But I have a doubt that Cellar can beat Hospital, since it gives at least as much VP once you have improved your Development a bit, and this one doesnt even need a monk... it's just too good shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico W.
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Village fanMicrobadge: The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Splendor fanMicrobadge: Alea Iacta Est fan

Yes, the revised version. Use a technology tile from the laboratory to make getting monks easier (may even use the bathhouse for this). Send character tiles to the beneficial deeds board to get some extra points and thin your bag.

Yes, good producing buildings (wine, wool or brocade) or perhaps the horse wagon.

You may not asume that whoever gets the hospital wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Kolb
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Brass: Birmingham fanMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: There can be no peace until they renounce their Duck god and accept our Rabbit god.
yesterday I played my second game of orleans and i won with 164 points.

The map had alot of Silk Tiles, so i decided i would try a Travel Strategy.

I pushed the dev track exactly to 4. (1x grey, Deads board, windmill)

I was able to move twice per round and always build, because i build my bag so that i would place the same 8 cubes each round. [move (cog); build (cog); windmill; horse wagon]

Sometimes i had to buy a blue one and send it to the deads board and sometimes i used the 2 reamining meaples to go by boat. Otherwise i kept them on the board at the river moving spot, so i didnt draw them.

So, long story short, you cannot neglect the Dev Track, but you can win without buying gray meaples. You just have to have a plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Classical Music fanMicrobadge: Professor
I essentially agree. After a dozen play throughs I find the game a tad too one dimensional. Perhaps if there was an actual use for the goods other than just collecting them for points. Seriously, wheat, cheese, wine, etc...there is no real attempt at theme here, just 1, 2, or 3 points. Why can't these goods be comboed and used in some manner to effect development for example. And if you do try a production strategy you are likely to get bit by the tax tile because you are sitting on a bunch of worthless one point wheat or cheese. Even building every brocade you can doesn't often work because, once again, against the development multiplier your opponent is doing your several 5 VPs brocades can be easily countered. Good and great games grow in interest with every play as you discover new routes to victory. Routine and average games have a preferred process everyone mostly takes time and time again. Orleans is at best a average game. But after several playings it is just boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fanMicrobadge: I'm an artist!Microbadge: Fan of GameHaus board game cafe, Glendale, CA, USAMicrobadge: Pitbull lover
ProfessorDoom wrote:
I essentially agree. After a dozen play throughs I find the game a tad too one dimensional. Perhaps if there was an actual use for the goods other than just collecting them for points. Seriously, wheat, cheese, wine, etc...there is no real attempt at theme here, just 1, 2, or 3 points. Why can't these goods be comboed and used in some manner to effect development for example. And if you do try a production strategy you are likely to get bit by the tax tile because you are sitting on a bunch of worthless one point wheat or cheese. Even building every brocade you can doesn't often work because, once again, against the development multiplier your opponent is doing your several 5 VPs brocades can be easily countered. Good and great games grow in interest with every play as you discover new routes to victory. Routine and average games have a preferred process everyone mostly takes time and time again. Orleans is at best a average game. But after several playings it is just boring.
The first expansion adds some really neat scenarios where you put those goods to "good" use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen De Mulder
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I support my local game shopMicrobadge: I speak DutchMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Pirate Games fanMicrobadge: Bordspelmania.eu user
This is a great strategy! Yesterday I won with 180 points using this post! I ended the game with 120 coins, thanks to the bathhouse - cellar combo (8 coins/turn)! The other 60 points I scored using the winery and wool factory to their maximum! I also had the laboratory and a lot of monks. I din't travel at all and went 2 only 2 spaces up the development track (recruiting 1 scholar). Thanks for sharing this great strategy Nico!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Orléans fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Viticulture fan
Has anyone tried a strategy where you focus on buildings that generate coins? I don't have the game in front of me to list those buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: BGG@SEA participantMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Private Pilot
I had a player win without ever going on the development track. He got the coin producing buildings and used them every round. He did a little travelling (mostly for the goods). He used beneficial deeds to get even more money (and guarantee he would get the tokens he needed)

I don't think he would have won against competent opponents (I'm counting myself). This was with 5 players and we ran out of money (or else his score would have been higher)

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
crujones33 wrote:
Has anyone tried a strategy where you focus on buildings that generate coins? I don't have the game in front of me to list those buildings.
See the previous posts, that's exactly whats Nico described here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Orléans fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Viticulture fan
N2xU wrote:
Start with taking the bathhouse and the laboratory. Take a scholar and start using the laboratory (starting by putting a technology tile on the laboratory itself). Go up the Knights-track to draw more meeples from the bag. Get monks. Take the building that gives you 4 coins and put a technology tile on it; By using the bathhouse you can get 8 points a turn.
How do you get 8 points out of this?

I'm not familiar with the Bathhouse so this partially comes from not using the Bathhouse in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
crujones33 wrote:
How do you get 8 points out of this?

I'm not familiar with the Bathhouse so this partially comes from not using the Bathhouse in our games.
E Prerequisite: You have to place a technology tile on the Scholar spot of the Cellar.

In subsequent rounds :

E Activate the Cellar (= 4coins). The Monk immediately goes back into your bag
E Now activate the Bathhouse and let's say you get one Monk out of your bag (possibly the same Monk previously returned) : you are allowed to place it on any building, including the Cellar which is currently empty.
E Cellar can be activated a second time later in this action phase (= 4coins again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls