Machi Koro» Forums » Variants

Subject: Our variation of the rules for a longer Machi Koro game session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Standley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My kids and I picked up and started playing this game a couple weeks ago and we all love it.
We played the first few games with three of us and had a lot of fun.
The last couple of games was just my daughter and I and the games were lasting about 20-30 minutes each but no one was buying any of the two dice roll cards. The higher cards just sat there and the game played a little fast for what we wanted. So we thought of ways to stretch it out a bit more so we could get the chance to build up our businesses.

Here is what we came up with. We may tweak it a little more but we like the longer gameplay it added.

We use the base game (no expansions on this session) but we made the rule that you cannot build any of the main structures (Shopping mall, Radio Tower, etc) until you purchase three (one of each color) of the 7-12 dice roll cards.
Once you get one of each color you are free to build the station since this card opens up rolling two dice. Now since opening up three of the higher dice roll cards will get you more money we also included the airport structure from the expansion so that it would add some more length in finishing all your cards.

This new rule variation made the games a little longer which we love. It also opened up the rest of the cards which we all but ignored before. It also created a flow of cash we had not seen before either. Once you start to get the higher cards you make money pretty fast and the building of the remaining structures can come very quick so be prepared.
Since the money starts to come in pretty fast half way into the game we thought about raising the prices on the structures to match. We haven't played this rule yet.

On the first play through I wasn't paying attention and my daughter purchased almost all of the ranch cards then stacked the cheesecake factory cards and was getting $60 if she rolled a seven. I won't let that one happen again. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

I'm less a Machi Koro fan - I'm usually ready for the game to end. I'll play Machi Koro between other games when we are waiting for a different group to form. It usually lasts 5-10 minutes longer than I want.

There are several alternate set-ups for the game. The most popular - with the Harbor Expansion - is random cards in the decks. It makes the buy options more challenging. The set up is 4 stacks of #'s 1-6 cards (all shuffled), 2 stacks of purple cards, and 4 stacks of #'s 8-12 cards (all shuffled). It is noted as 4-4-2 or 4-2-4.

Try it also.

/edit...typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Standley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I will definitely try this one out too. This is quickly becoming a family favorite.

We played a couple more rounds of my rule change and it needs some tweaks. The cheese factory with a few ranch cards becomes so over powered that you can easily win in a couple rounds with two players. Since seven has the highest chance to be rolled with double dice this stack is huge money if you own several of each card.
Honestly I this combo is way too high even for the normal game. My daughter had four or five of each card and when she rolled a seven she was collecting $80! That's way too high.

We need to edit this rule set down and nerf the seven roll I think. But I am very curious to try the 4-4-2 rule set too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would not nerf the 7. n the games we have played, I have seen many victories due to the cheesecake factory. However the strategy s to block it reaching nsane amounts of cash. Nerfing essentially relieves you of the pressure to block it and gives you a huge advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JeffStandley wrote:
My kids and I picked up and started playing this game ...
We use the base game (no expansions on this session) but we made the rule that you cannot build any of the main structures (Shopping mall, Radio Tower, etc) until you purchase three (one of each color) of the 7-12 dice roll cards.
Once you get one of each color you are free to build the station since this card opens up rolling two dice. Now since opening up three of the higher dice roll cards will get you more money we also included the airport structure from the expansion so that it would add some more length in finishing all your cards.
I realize this post is years old, but I'm just curious about this house rule. It does sound nice if you're looking for a longer game and exposure to more cards, but I was wondering if you included Purples in your 1 and 3 card requirements? I'm thinking if so, it would make a *much* longer game due to the Purple costs. I suppose I could try either way, but wondered if you or anyone had tried both ways, and how the games were.

I had also thought that another house rule that might be good along with this (read somewhere on these forums but can't find now) is that you must purchase the Airport last (if playing a version including it, or just adding it in as you did possibly). This rule removes the high Airport earnings, but retains the high cost to win - as you say you had more cash flow with your variation already, this would seem to go well with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls