Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Burgle Bros.» Forums » Rules

Subject: How much health can you lose from a single guard move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Pepe
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
We ran into an instance where several patrol cards in one guard move with a speed of 5 resulted in a player getting trampled by the pathing rules as they were all close together. Once you lose a stealth by a guard can you lose more in the same move. Does the stealth last longer than a moment or not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As we understand the rules, everytime either you enter a guard tile, or the guard enters your tile, you lose a stealth (I'm ignoring tiles like Foyer). "Guard management" is a key to winning the game (as it says in the tips near the back of the rulebook).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Smitty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Roll 'Em!
badge
This Avatar has been made using recycled material.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation last night where the guard was about to enter the tile adjacent to the foyer I was in (-1 stealth). Then he would have entered my tile (-1 stealth). Finally, he would turn left and leave my tile, but enter a tile adjacent to the same Foyer I was still in (-1 stealth). This would have taken me out immediately, so my girlfriend ran down stairs and hid to make sure the guard didn't get to move.

If you don't pay attention, you can find yourself in a very bad situation.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Anderson
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
As we understand the rules, everytime either you enter a guard tile, or the guard enters your tile, you lose a stealth (I'm ignoring tiles like Foyer). "Guard management" is a key to winning the game (as it says in the tips near the back of the rulebook).
This is how we played it as well. It happened once where I lost two stealth tokens because a guard passed through my room to the destination tile, then we had to draw a new location leading to the guard doubling back through my tile. I knew it was my gamble to be so close to the guard's destination tile. I'm sure you could house rule it, although I think it could lead to some abuse or lack of tension knowing that you only lose one stealth per guard movement.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: iPad enthusiastMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Mennonite - Menno SimonsMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Obsession: Upstairs, Downstairs
Once you've played a time or two and had this happen to you, you start to be much more aware of where you end up...my son and I will almost always try to end our turns on a dead end tile to minimize this potential when possible (note we do this only on turns where the guard could potentially reach our area...if he's far away we don't worry about it!).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The heatmap on the wall generator link is useful for this sort of planning too (although it does feel a bit cheaty)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not cheaty, they, um, cased the joint. But don't know what the rooms are but, um, know where the guards are likely to hang out. Yes. Thermal scopes. That's all I got.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Once you've played a time or two and had this happen to you, you start to be much more aware of where you end up...my son and I will almost always try to end our turns on a dead end tile to minimize this potential when possible (note we do this only on turns where the guard could potentially reach our area...if he's far away we don't worry about it!).
This very nearly worked for me except that the dead end tile where I was hiding was a camera tile and the guard movement took him through a camera zone 2 or 3 times during his move. 'Doh! Game over.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: iPad enthusiastMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Mennonite - Menno SimonsMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Obsession: Upstairs, Downstairs
Drammattex wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
Once you've played a time or two and had this happen to you, you start to be much more aware of where you end up...my son and I will almost always try to end our turns on a dead end tile to minimize this potential when possible (note we do this only on turns where the guard could potentially reach our area...if he's far away we don't worry about it!).
This very nearly worked for me except that the dead end tile where I was hiding was a camera tile and the guard movement took him through a camera zone 2 or 3 times during his move. 'Doh! Game over.
Yet something else you quickly learn to keep an eye on I don't think I've ever had a guard catch me several times on a camera tile (they must have been set up pretty close to each other!), but we have always been very wary of camera tiles. I think our most despised tile is the deadbolt.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hawkins
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Drammattex wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
Once you've played a time or two and had this happen to you, you start to be much more aware of where you end up...my son and I will almost always try to end our turns on a dead end tile to minimize this potential when possible (note we do this only on turns where the guard could potentially reach our area...if he's far away we don't worry about it!).
This very nearly worked for me except that the dead end tile where I was hiding was a camera tile and the guard movement took him through a camera zone 2 or 3 times during his move. 'Doh! Game over.
I don't have the game with me, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure the guard entering another camera tile doesn't cause you to lose stealth. It causes an alarm to go off in your tile.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
Rules:

Guards on a Camera tile see all the other re- vealed tiles that are cameras, on any floor. You do not lose Stealth, but they remotely trigger an Alarm on your tile (by calling on their radio). Note that Guards can see through Cameras when moving through a Camera on their turn.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: iPad enthusiastMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Mennonite - Menno SimonsMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Obsession: Upstairs, Downstairs
PeteHawkins wrote:
Drammattex wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
Once you've played a time or two and had this happen to you, you start to be much more aware of where you end up...my son and I will almost always try to end our turns on a dead end tile to minimize this potential when possible (note we do this only on turns where the guard could potentially reach our area...if he's far away we don't worry about it!).
This very nearly worked for me except that the dead end tile where I was hiding was a camera tile and the guard movement took him through a camera zone 2 or 3 times during his move. 'Doh! Game over.
I don't have the game with me, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure the guard entering another camera tile doesn't cause you to lose stealth. It causes an alarm to go off in your tile.
Correct - it only sets an alarm...but if the cameras are arranged poorly, it would be possible for a player to get double tapped by a guard...(1) Guard sees him in a camera maybe a space or two away, so an alarm sets. (2) Guard changes his destination to that tile and moves there, causing the player to spend a stealth. (3) Next destination card is drawn and guard continues movement and...oh look, he lands on the camera tile again, thus returning his destination to the other camera tile the player is sitting on, thus causing him to move there yet again and causing him to lose another stealth

The above has never happened to me, but we never end our turn on camera tile (or cross them if a guard is on a camera tile) if we can help it (unless trying to deliberately set an alarm).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: oh boyMicrobadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: Nutella loverMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Calvinball player
garry_rice wrote:
if the cameras are arranged poorly, it would be possible for a player to get double tapped by a guard...(1) Guard sees him in a camera maybe a space or two away, so an alarm sets. (2) Guard changes his destination to that tile and moves there, causing the player to spend a stealth. (3) Next destination card is drawn and guard continues movement and...oh look, he lands on the camera tile again, thus returning his destination to the other camera tile the player is sitting on, thus causing him to move there yet again and causing him to lose another stealth

The above has never happened to me, but we never end our turn on camera tile (or cross them if a guard is on a camera tile) if we can help it (unless trying to deliberately set an alarm).
Happened to my team last night. Two cameras were next to each other, and we didn't spot the danger, leaving a character on one of them. Then the guard stepped on the other. The guard was going to ping-pong between the tiles, until we decided to choose an enjoyable story over a gamey ending to our heist. We decided the guard was satisfied there was nothing on the other camera after checking it once, and carried on his way. ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls