ken bethea
United States
Dallas
TEXAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems simple, but I can't seem to find an answer. It can be very overpowering to discard to COdA cards to draw something like "build on army base". Rivals can do this multiple times to build 3 or 4 bases in one turn.

It looks like you can but it just seems so strong.We are in April so maybe something comes up that weakens this.

kb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, played or discarded player cards go to the discard pile. If something should be removed from the game or destroyed, it will say so explicitly.

You absolutely can use the Rivals relationship to replay events (funded or otherwise) assuming you have two other cards you're willing to discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A powerful move, but nothing game breaking -- discarding 2 cards each time might come to bite you in the butt later in the game.

Never really had the opportunity to do it in our games as we rarely have any event cards in the deck, but we have used rival ability to essentially swapped cards and discard unnecessaries.

Ex.
- Player 1 flies to BLUE city
- Rival discards Yellow/Red to take BLUE
- Player 1 discards Yellow/Blue to take the red
- Rival discards 2 cards to a blue
- etc.

Not bad if you have some throwaway cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
edwalter wrote:
Yes, played or discarded player cards go to the discard pile. If something should be removed from the game or destroyed, it will say so explicitly.

You absolutely can use the Rivals relationship to replay events (funded or otherwise) assuming you have two other cards you're willing to discard.
We used this to great effect in May.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We used it in the last four turns of the game to kite "One Quiet Night" back and forth between rivals, preventing the infection phase every turn until we won. VERY useful, but quite dependent on card draw. We got lucky, since CODA was yellow, and the yellows bunched up in the last half of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
King Friday wrote:
We used this to great effect in April.
Ah yes. Funded events. I remember those! *wistful sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Ah yes. Funded events. I remember those! *wistful sigh*
LOL. Yeah, we lost all our funding at the end of May, too. June's gonna be ... interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls