Subject: This Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never published a game. I've only finished to a play testable stage one title, and while it works and folks said it was lots of fun, I could never make myself finish it. That said I come up with LOTS of ideas, and have more times than I care to count (somewhat pathetically), said to myself about a cool new game or theme, "Hey, that's JUST like that game I wrote up last year."

But, even though the only thing I EVER enjoyed about RPGs was character creation, and even though I devoured RPG rulebooks and even though I almost compulsively created chraracters throughout my life, I never ever thought of this game idea. It's fucking genius.

I'm going to go build the Print and Play. I hope it's at least as fun as not playing RPGs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
this is a world where people are happy to continuously tap on a picture of a cookie. Does that sound like a winner of an idea?

The appstore has a new app, Amazing Loot Grind - all the loot, none of the grind. Just tap on chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
this is a world where people are happy to continuously tap on a picture of a cookie. Does that sound like a winner of an idea?

The appstore has a new app, Amazing Loot Grind - all the loot, none of the grind. Just tap on chests.

I, honestly, either can't figure out your point, or if I have, why you're making it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I was trying to say that when there are different components or features of games that people like, there is a trend towards increasing gratification by giving people what they want, whether rolling characters, opening chests, or tapping on cookies, without the stuff they don't like.

For example, a winner game might be a game about painting minis for those who like that activity more than the games the minis go with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I was trying to say that when there are different components or features of games that people like, there is a trend towards increasing gratification by giving people what they want, whether rolling characters, opening chests, or tapping on cookies, without the stuff they don't like.

For example, a winner game might be a game about painting minis for those who like that activity more than the games the minis go with.
Alrighty then.

Anyway, so, I made the PnP game, and as of Saturday a quick $15 purchase of dice on Amazon will arrive enabling me to play. I'm very much looking forward to that, though I must admit my enthusiasm has marginally cooled. Perhaps I need to see the mechanics in action, but, in general, there seems to be little thematic relevance to some of the card effects, especially the equipment. I'm a thematic guy, and that's a bit of a bummer. For instance:

The Quarterstaff gives you an additional 2 gold when you complete an attribute. Naturally!

When you are equipped with the Blessed Mace you gain 1 gold when someone burns a card from the market. Uhm. Ok.

And the Longbow? After completing an attribute you get to take its action an additional time. And I mean, well, why wouldn't you!?

These are quibbles, and given the game design, I'm not sure what else could have been done since you don't actually USE the equipment. Also, the skills and traits DO make more sense. But still. :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Perhaps I need to see the mechanics in action...
I think you do. I've had the opportunity to play this game a number of times, and it is excellent. Keep in kind it's a board game, not an RPG. Not everything is hammering you over the head with theme. If you *really* boil it down, it's an abstract dice drafting and manipulation game.

But it really, really woks. And the theme is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
grandslam wrote:

I know what you're saying, but we do live in a world where people will tap around on their phones because they're bored. No game needed.

A computer game about upgrading:
http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/hero_simulator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
navajas wrote:
Perhaps I need to see the mechanics in action...
I think you do. I've had the opportunity to play this game a number of times, and it is excellent. Keep in kind it's a board game, not an RPG. Not everything is hammering you over the head with theme. If you *really* boil it down, it's an abstract dice drafting and manipulation game.

But it really, really woks. And the theme is perfect.
I really enjoyed the times I play tested this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls