The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth» Forums » General

Subject: Boutique Board Gaming = Calth?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
With Kingdom Death: Monster being accepted by the online/social player community, and the postive buzz Betral At Calth seems to be gathering from the traditional player community, I hope the concept of Boutique Board Games will happen. I like the idea of my board game having intrinsic value beyond a $50 - $100 price tag. cool

I understand that KD:M is less about upfront customization or options and more how the game ends up, versus B@C's process of upfront customization then a story to play through. But that's the beauty of this possibility! I'm excited for the future of the BG scene and will pick up my copy of B@C in the near future!

P.S. looking to join a KD:M game in the parallel universe where I have rich board gaming friends.cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this just looks like a miniatures game and not a boutique game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Ah, thank you! It clearly is a board game; I determined so whatching the WarhammerTV episode dedicated to playing the game. Anyone else think "Phil" is Phil Kelly? I really don't know on that...

The miniatures are used as a combination of mechanics for identifying pieces and their tools. Like in a game with identical pawns, various character cards, and item or equipment cards to create a unique player or "avatar". All that is done on the mini with reference cards and tables to compliment easy mechanic lookup.

This is why I thank you for the comment, as it allows me to point out the "boutique" of the game. You see, instead of inexpensive or duplicate pawns, character sheets or boards, and various equipment or powers cards all fleshing out a piece, we have a miniature that does all that. Not only is the mini a pawn, it IS the equipment the piece uses (powers and such), and the identifier for how that piece is ranked in relation to other pieces. Expensive, over-produced, clean, quality, and unique as it is: exactly what boutique is as I understand.

B@C IS a board game, with options to use the pieces in other product lines by the Company. I believe I'm on target, here.

TL;DR
No, it's a BG, and the flashy bitz can be used in other board-free wargames seamlessly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KiwiStalk wrote:
The miniatures are used as a combination of mechanics for identifying pieces and their tools.
Well, GW did this already back way-back-when with Space Crusade, Advanced Space Crusade and Genestealer. Particularly with ASC and SC, your models had different weapons, and you assembled your models with the weapons they would use on the board. I think, thanks to KS, "boutique" boardgames are now possible. Certainly FFG helped, with its $100 base games. I don't think we'll come to an agreement when a boardgames with miniatures becomes a boutique game. Some would consider Cthulhu Wars a boutique game, but it doesn't fit your definition.

But, as long as 28mm mini's become less expensive and have higher quality, I'm happy. There's no way I could afford the CW miniatures in metal, pretty much the only way you could get mini's that weren't generic fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I suppose I'm basing my understanding of Boutique by looking at other businesses. Forge Would could be considered Boutique miniatures, after all. Plus, I've read, on their website, Poot Games or whatever claiming Kingdom Death: Monster is the first Boutique Board Game experience.

It sounds like Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade also hit what I'm scoping out. Fascinating... Perhaps a above-the-well standard is Boutique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is very much like the old gw game tyranid attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Kinda like how DragonStrike is a lot like HeroQuest? Or how Scrabble is a lot like Dominoes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What in the heck are you guys talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I'm throwing out design philosphy and the money is crazy these days. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the money for this isnt crazy,

400.00 for kdm might be considered crazy though.

i can see kids getting this for christmas, i cant see any kids getting kingdom death for chistmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Battle Ground
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
i cant see any kids getting kingdom death for chistmas. anytime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creepy horrocks
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep miniatures game with a board i agree.
Game play looks great replay value not so sure.
Just release a renamed Space Crusade already. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantin Valdor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what... It is expensive; but true quality is worth paying for. I have bought two copies. I will play the game; but I also think the models are great value; the equivalent of £470 of forge world models for £95. It's not to be sniffed at!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people have balked at £95 for a boardgame, true. However, as has been said, it's also a miniatures game.

So, the question is as to whether it's Boutique for minis. Arguably not. That said, many people have complained that is is expensive for minis.

The box is 40% cheaper than GW's standard prices on the same 40k equivilents.
Mantic's miniatures are slightly less detailed and have fewer options than the equivilent GW kits, but come in at up to 40% less. These are held up as good value by the wargaming community at large.

Thus we can conclude that, as far as minatures go, this set is excellent value for money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls