Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Clifford
United States
Portage
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rule 6.5 states that if your total modified factors are greater than 30 use the 30+ column. Rule 6.2 states that after all modifications are done, the attacker subtract one for each red triangle of the defender. So I take it that if the attack strength is greater than 30,the red triangles would still subtract it down from 30 and not subtract down from the strength above 30? ie If I have 36 modified attack factors against 6 red triangles is my final combat strength 30 or 24?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dvsimp wrote:
Rule 6.5 states that if your total modified factors are greater than 30 use the 30+ column. Rule 6.2 states that after all modifications are done, the attacker subtract one for each red triangle of the defender. So I take it that if the attack strength is greater than 30,the red triangles would still subtract it down from 30 and not subtract down from the strength above 30? ie If I have 36 modified attack factors against 6 red triangles is my final combat strength 30 or 24?
Hi Dave,

In that case you'd have 30. Add up your Factors, then add/subtract Defensive Factors, and *then* if you have 30+, use the far right column.

So if the defense is stout (and late war units can offer -6 or better defensively), then it definitely pays to bring more than 30 Factors to the battle.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clifford
United States
Portage
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Dave for your quick response . Enjoying The Longest Day scenario. A couple more questions. On the terrain features chart what is the meaning of defensive armor bonus value +4? Also, must AA units be used in air battles. What happens to them if they are selected to return to base. Can they still be used in the land combat round?

Thanks for your support,
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dvsimp wrote:
Thanks Dave for your quick response . Enjoying The Longest Day scenario. A couple more questions. On the terrain features chart what is the meaning of defensive armor bonus value +4? Also, must AA units be used in air battles. What happens to them if they are selected to return to base. Can they still be used in the land combat round?

Thanks for your support,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Happy to help. The defensive ARM bonus (Forest +2, etc.) is in regard to 6.6 in the full rules, which determines whether the attackers have enough ARM to (potentially) force defenders to retreat. The attackers add up the total Size of all their ARM units. Defenders do that as well, and also add up their FORTs' total Size, and the terrain bonus (if any). If the attackers have more, then defending land units may be required to retreat by attackers' letter results in the Land Round. (The rules probably say all of that more clearly.)

AA units do participate in an Air Round. However, in an Air Round, only air (and CV) units can be affected. AA units cannot be affected in any way during an air round. (The AA get to shoot freely. When you play the full game and get into serious Allied strategic bombing of Germany, you'll learn to love your German AA units!)

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clifford
United States
Portage
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't understand why the terrain features chart says defensive armor bonus value +4. Shouldn't it be +1 per armor step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dvsimp wrote:
I don't understand why the terrain features chart says defensive armor bonus value +4. Shouldn't it be +1 per armor step?
Hi Dave,

Sorry this isn't clear for you. Yes, 1 per ARM step is always true, everywhere (and defenders get the +1 / FORT step too).

The Terrain Chart isn't talking about the above, since they are true in all cases. The Terrain Chart gives you what varies, depending on the land area's terrain. The terrain being attacked, by itself & regardless of what defending units are there, also provide the defender with the stated ARM bonus.

If you have just an INF army sitting in a Forest land area, it has 2 ARM for the determination, gained from the Forest terrain itself.

Clearer, I hope?

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clifford
United States
Portage
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see it now,the defensive armor bonus value +4 isn't a modifier itself but is just describing what the various terrain features affect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls