Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
I've been cleaning out some stuff at work and found two or three unopened 5.25" floppy disk packages.

Is there any real usage for these nowadays?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Microbadge: I build Crokinole boardsMicrobadge: I made my own gaming tableMicrobadge: I make wooden gamesMicrobadge: I love my gaming tableMicrobadge: Cribbage fan
DKahnt wrote:
I've been cleaning out some stuff at work and found two or three unopened 5.25" floppy disk packages.

Is there any real usage for these nowadays?

-DK
Two words: E Bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: Join the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund!Microbadge: Tottenham Hotspur FC fanMicrobadge: Strangers in Paradise fanMicrobadge: Atheist
I can't say exactly why, but I'm loving absolutely everything about this thread. Seems to have struck me *just* right . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
The people that need them, *need* them. They aren't being manufactured anymore, and there are some legacy uses that have still not gone away.

(As an example, the plasma cutter used at my employer not only has the OS on a totally internal 3.5" drive, it takes the CAD data on 3.5" disk. We use on average 1-2 disks a week. And purchasing isn't relishing tracking down more when the current supply is gone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly they're helpful in annoying your kids. "Now when I was your age, we didn't have this streaming business, we used sheets of plastic wrapped in paper like this! Now see this is a single sided double density disk, which means it hold 180KB. The slot here is where the read/write head went..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
fnord23 wrote:
The people that need them, *need* them. They aren't being manufactured anymore, and there are some legacy uses that have still not gone away.

(As an example, the plasma cutter used at my employer not only has the OS on a totally internal 3.5" drive, it takes the CAD data on 3.5" disk. We use on average 1-2 disks a week. And purchasing isn't relishing tracking down more when the current supply is gone.)
Woo hoo! You've found a mark! (Er, I mean "buyer.")
Well, almost 3.5" disks aren't the same as the OP's 5.25" disks (Though to today's generation they may as well be )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
fnord23 wrote:

Woo hoo! You've found a mark! (Er, I mean "buyer.")
Well, almost 3.5" disks aren't the same as the OP's 5.25" disks (Though to today's generation they may as well be )
So, my 8" floppy disc is of no use to anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Competitive Gamer - I play to win!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG poster
Skeet shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: Join the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund!Microbadge: Tottenham Hotspur FC fanMicrobadge: Strangers in Paradise fanMicrobadge: Atheist
bop517 wrote:
I'm not touching that one . . .
[Though I do remember the 8" floppies that booted up my Apple IIe.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slice one side and it's the perfect size for a CD sleeve.

An outdated media format being used to store a slightly less outdated media format? Ingenious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
The IIe used 8" floppies? I thought the IIe used 3½", or maybe 5¼"...the only 8" floppies I ever actually used were for a Dec PDP-something. Maybe a PDP-10? I know it wasn't a PDP-11, and I don't think it was a PDP-8, it was one of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
wmshub wrote:
The IIe used 8" floppies? I thought the IIe used 3½", or maybe 5¼"...
So, you caught me - I'm a typical man, claiming mine is eight inches when it's only 5 and a bit . . .

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
The IIe used 8" floppies? I thought the IIe used 3½", or maybe 5¼"...the only 8" floppies I ever actually used were for a Dec PDP-something. Maybe a PDP-10? I know it wasn't a PDP-11, and I don't think it was a PDP-8, it was one of the others.
Early TRS-80 used 8 inch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
That may have been an option, but wasn't the standard one. I (well, my father, but I used it more than him) had a TRS-80 model I; when they became available, it was upgraded with the expansion box and eventually two disk drives. Both drives were 5¼", and all commercial software was on 5¼". I never saw a TRS-80 with 8" drives attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
That may have been an option, but wasn't the standard one. I (well, my father, but I used it more than him) had a TRS-80 model I; when they became available, it was upgraded with the expansion box and eventually two disk drives. Both drives were 5¼", and all commercial software was on 5¼". I never saw a TRS-80 with 8" drives attached.
It was the less common option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
Ours had regular cassette tapes. Pretty sweet once we upgraded to 16k ram.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
Ours had regular cassette tapes. Pretty sweet once we upgraded to 16k ram.
My 8 inch floppy had a lot of RAM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I could have sworn that my dad's Commodore 64 had an 8-inch floppy drive, but apparently it was only a 5.25-inch floppy. I guess that I was so small that they looked bigger... or maybe my dad was showing me one of his older disks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmbmbmb
3D model of a save icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
I could have sworn that my dad's Commodore 64 had an 8-inch floppy drive, but apparently it was only a 5.25-inch floppy. I guess that I was so small that they looked bigger... or maybe my dad was showing me one of his older disks.
The standard C64 drive was 5.25". I don't think there was an 8".

I know because I lived it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
dedbob wrote:
Well, I've found a new band to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
Verkisto wrote:
dedbob wrote:
Well, I've found a new band to try.
They are legit!

They have a Myspace account!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love DragonsMicrobadge: An African or European swallow?Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Red Dwarf fanMicrobadge: David A. Trampier fan
(((That's the letter "s" right?)))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

I have some unused 3.5" 1.44 MB disks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |