ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Microbadge: MeepleCon attendeeMicrobadge: Die Macher fanMicrobadge: Nuclear War fanMicrobadge: SPI fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
Gstrobe188 wrote:
From gallery of Gstrobe188
I call a tech foul, a good use, but the pictured discs are 3.5", not 5.25". Personally I prefer CDs as drink coasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: J. K. Rowling fanMicrobadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: Jack Russell loverMicrobadge: Amelia Pond. Like a name in a fairytale.Microbadge: 'Allo 'Allo! fan
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
So, my 8" floppy disc is of no use to anyone?
I'm not touching that one . . .
[Though I do remember the 8" floppies that booted up my Apple IIe.]
The IIe used 8" floppies? I thought the IIe used 3½", or maybe 5¼"...the only 8" floppies I ever actually used were for a Dec PDP-something. Maybe a PDP-10? I know it wasn't a PDP-11, and I don't think it was a PDP-8, it was one of the others.
I actually used 8" disks at a job in the early 90s. I temped a few weeks at a company that had old NEC computers with these huge disk drives that took 8" disks that held just under 80KB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Roll 1d6 and consult the table below.*
badge
*If you encounter the squid in the desert, it is a flying squid.
Microbadge: My gods are older than your gods...Microbadge:  Microbadge: The Magic Blue Wishing Sofa: Making Your Dreams Come True(ish)!Microbadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: ...Your gods live underneath mine
bop517 wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
Skeet shooting.
Heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Microbadge: Tonight's Forecast: Dark. Continued Dark tonight, turning to Partly Light in the morning. Microbadge: Trader Joe's fanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: University of California Irvine - ZOT!Microbadge: Platinum Folding@Home donator
wmshub wrote:
The IIe used 8" floppies? I thought the IIe used 3½", or maybe 5¼"...the only 8" floppies I ever actually used were for a Dec PDP-something. Maybe a PDP-10? I know it wasn't a PDP-11, and I don't think it was a PDP-8, it was one of the others.
External image
PDP-8/E with DECtape

The Apple II used 5¼" floppies, and it was before the IIe I think. Maybe 8" was most common on CP/M systems?

PDP-10 was a giant mainframe. It used mag tape.

PDP-11 was a pretty powerful minicomputer; probably too powerful for floppies to be useful. I think they generally used mag tape.

PDP-8s are the right size, but early models used DECtape. Maybe a PDP-8/A?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kansas City Chiefs fanMicrobadge: Kansas City Royals fanMicrobadge: I've won a contest on BGG!Microbadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek Veteran
* sigh *

This brings back memories of my Atari 800XL. Single sided 5¼" floppies were cheaper than double sided, but all it took was a special tool to cut a notch in the wrapper to access a single as a double sided. (You had to turn the floppy over to the second side.)

Many 3½" outer cases have been used as scenery elements in miniatures gaming, dungeon doors or spaceship hatches and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
Early TRS-80 used 8 inch.
That may have been an option, but wasn't the standard one. I (well, my father, but I used it more than him) had a TRS-80 model I; when they became available, it was upgraded with the expansion box and eventually two disk drives. Both drives were 5¼", and all commercial software was on 5¼". I never saw a TRS-80 with 8" drives attached.
It was the less common option.
The home computer versions of the Radio Shack computers were the TRS-80 Models I, III and IV. The I didn't come with floppies initially but when it got there they were 5.25"

The Model II (don't confuse this with Level II which was a version of the Model I) had 8" drives and was mostly targeted at business users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: X-Com fanMicrobadge: Minecraft fanMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: Playing until death!
Tall_Walt wrote:

PDP-11 was a pretty powerful minicomputer; probably too powerful for floppies to be useful. I think they generally used mag tape.
PDP 11 used multiple platter removable hard disks which had to be screwed into the disk drive. It was like a spindle with a load of circular plates separated by air. They were covered by a plastic dome and base when not in use.

Part of my first job was to do the backup which involved swapping them over. The drive itself was as big as a washing machine.

[Edit: BTW does anyone remember disk doubling 5.25" disks? You'd remove the disk and punch a mirror image hole through the container and cut out the write protect notch on the opposite side before returning the disk. You could then put the disk in upside down for a second side of info ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
I just looked these up on Ebay and they do still sell and at a price that a few boxes are worth putting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Mandolin playerMicrobadge: Villagers fanMicrobadge: Ukulele playerMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fan
mileser wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
I actually used 8" disks at a job in the early 90s. I temped a few weeks at a company that had old NEC computers with these huge disk drives that took 8" disks that held just under 80KB
My first college placement was to ICL, and the in-house servers there used 8" floppies. The server lived in the office with us and there was the most splendid noise one day as a head failure effectively shredded an 8" disk. This would have been late '87...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
Microbadge: Exclamation
Man, this brings back memories of explaining to people repeatedly - No, the hard disk is actually a piece inside the computer, this is a floppy disk. No, I realize that it's not floppy, like the bigger one over there, but it's still just a 3.5" floppy disk and not a hard disk....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Modular boards / tiles fan
Karlsen wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:
From gallery of Gstrobe188
I call a tech foul, a good use, but the pictured discs are 3.5", not 5.25". Personally I prefer CDs as drink coasters.
Doh!

If you put CD's in the microwave for a few seconds they crack then they make really neat coasters. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
Microbadge: Serta Sheep fanMicrobadge: Fan of MasksMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Burgers of July 2019 - first year!Microbadge: 3M Bookshelf Games fan
mileser wrote:
wmshub wrote:
nycavri wrote:
bop517 wrote:
We used them in the late 80s for some old, stand alone, word processing machines when I was in the Navy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Microbadge: SkepticMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantlyMicrobadge: I'm a GM!
The 8" are good to turn into clocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Mexican Food fanMicrobadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Taco de Mayo 2015 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2016 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2017 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!
Karlsen wrote:
[Personally I prefer CDs as drink coasters.
While CDs make for visually appealing coasters, I always worry that some condensation from the glass will fall through the hole in the disc, so I've never actually used them. Am I crazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Modular boards / tiles fan
You could always place a little piece of clear packing tape over the hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Herculean RPG UploaderMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: RPGGeek creationistMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: I am amongst the dangerous elite!
LRayZor wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

PDP 11 used multiple platter removable hard disks which had to be screwed into the disk drive.
You could also use the RX01 or RX02 8" floppy disk drives on a PDP-11. There were also fixed hard disk subsystems - like we know and love as well as a number of different types of exchangable hard disk systems like you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
Microbadge: Space Travel enthusiastMicrobadge: Space Exploration fanMicrobadge: SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) fanMicrobadge: Planetology fanMicrobadge: Exoplanet fan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |