Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:475 [+] 504:47x [+] [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are two aspects to Cult of the New. One part is just the desire to have the 'new shiny' game, whatever it may be. Be the first on your block to get X. I think this first part is the bigger part, but there's something else, too.

The other part is the desire to play something new - to explore a new game system. Although people talk about their desire for replayable games, the need for replayability is overstated due to the fact that there are so many great games. Note the inherent contradiction... "I want replayability in games but I have so many unplayed great games." What many people really want (even if they don't admit it) is for the first play to be good. Maybe a second. They want to learn the system, see how it works, learn to see the broad strokes of a good strategy in the game, but then move on to a new game without bothering to search out the fine points of strategy in the game.

504 appeals directly to this mindset. With 504 games, where the games are really different where the strategies can be drastically different just from changing one module, you get the new system with minimal rules overhead. (Well, minimal once you learn to read the rulebook.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict a lot of sales of this game in the marketplace in a few months, after the initial fever cools off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought. We were playing 475 yesterday (the cowboy game whistle, who said you cannot imagine a theme, don't underestimate gamers) and I was already thinking it would be nice to play 476 to have a different topping on the good cake that 47x offers in my opinion.
I am curious how many different worlds I will play before I replay one of them. Hmm this sounds like an idea for a poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
FlyingArrow wrote:
to explore a new game system.
That's why I look forward to playing it. Like the enjoyment of playing games like Dominion or Kingdom Builder with a variety of setups, it is the interest of mixing familiar elements in different ways each time: exploring how they interact, and discovering the variety of strategies and tactics which result from the different setup permutations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
I predict a lot of sales of this game in the marketplace in a few months, after the initial fever cools off.
Quite the opposite is my prediction that this will be well kept and end up the most pimped out game on BGG as people customize their favorite 3 packs. I foresee a Geeklist in our future.

Miniatures for Module 4!
Cars for Module 2 (Micromachines anyone?)
Poker Chips to replace the paper money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
I think there are two aspects to Cult of the New. One part is just the desire to have the 'new shiny' game, whatever it may be. Be the first on your block to get X. I think this first part is the bigger part, but there's something else, too.

The other part is the desire to play something new - to explore a new game system. Although people talk about their desire for replayable games, the need for replayability is overstated due to the fact that there are so many great games. Note the inherent contradiction... "I want replayability in games but I have so many unplayed great games." What many people really want (even if they don't admit it) is for the first play to be good. Maybe a second. They want to learn the system, see how it works, learn to see the broad strokes of a good strategy in the game, but then move on to a new game without bothering to search out the fine points of strategy in the game.

504 appeals directly to this mindset. With 504 games, where the games are really different where the strategies can be drastically different just from changing one module, you get the new system with minimal rules overhead. (Well, minimal once you learn to read the rulebook.)
I'm an unabashed member of the cult of the new, but like most people I'm more complicated than that. Some games, the great one's, I like to return to and explore how they open up over multiple plays. Everything is a balance.

But when I think about what drives me to always want the new thing, it's mostly just what you said. Sort of. I love learning and internalizing new information. I'm fairly addicted to it actually. Sure, there is some rush associated with getting a new prize and I really love punching and organizing as well. But it's really the internalization of new constructs, the act of parsing information and categorizing it mentally. The heavier and more complex, the better (mostly). This makes me much more excited about entirely new games than new expansions or re-themes, which usually I can take or leave.

504 is right up my alley, I can't wait to get my hands on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like you will love it
Hope you get it soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
What interests me about 504 is that I get a lot of game (types) that I would not normally want to spend $50+ on. I'd love an 18XX game but I don't want to spend the money on one when I would maybe have the time to play it once. With 504 I can play a game somewhat like an 18XX game (at least with a few similar base mechanic) once and not feel like I wasted money. It lets me round-out a "collection" of game types cheaply that I would not otherwise own/purchase.
Yup that's definitely been my #2 reason to get the game.

My #1 reason was that I wanted to see how the game works: To analyze the different modules and how they interact to gain better insight into popular game design elements and hopefully apply that knowledge in my own designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't consider myself a true member of the Cult of the New (I can't afford it and don't have time to indulge it), from the start my thinking about 504 is similar to the OP's. I enjoy experiencing new games, and 504 seems like the ideal game for that purpose.

Also, I have not extensively played Euros in the past (and neither have most of the group I game with), so I don't expect to be comparing the games of 504 I play to other games with similar mechanisms.

Another aspect if it's appeal is that I can play a game, enjoy it for that exploration of how the modules work together, and not feel obligated to ever play it again as I would another game with static mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:

I actually think it will end up no different for the cult of the new. I think you are suggesting that because there are 504 games, it's going to give that long lasting exploratory approach that appeals to people who like to explore the mechanics of a game in broad strokes and move on. I actually think after 5-6 plays the cult of the new will be done, as they will have experienced the broad strokes. It's too generic to hold their interest for even that long probably. The people who will appreciate this are a bit of a different breed I think. You need more discipline to stick with this one. You have to enjoy a mission for this one. The cult of the new knows no discipline. I don't consider that a knock on 504 at all. They will drop this game as quickly as they drop everything else I'm afraid but the fanbase that does build around this game will be an interesting and different sort I think, but that might be a good thing for the game long term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your conclusion, but that's because I think the Cult of the New is primarily driven by Reason #1... just wanting to play the new hotness.

But to the extent that exploring the world of a new game (rules and how to win) is the draw, 504 should hold a lot of interest. From my brief experience, the games change a lot with every module change. At the very least, there are 72 very different games (combinations for win condition and economy). The flavor module will sometimes have a large effect on the game, but sometimes small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls