Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Broom Service» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Does not live up to its own aspirations (short review, English/German) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L O
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting concept, but doesn't live up to its own aspirations.

Rating: 5/10

Broom Service draws upon a rather clever mechanism. Every player has the same hand of (nicely illustrated) cards and each round they choose a subset to play and execute certain actions: collect potions, move to adjacent fields on the (pretty looking) board, or deliver potions to gain points. In addition there's a weather ferry card that "charms" (collects) clouds on adjacent fields, which will yield points at the end of the game.

Each card can be played cowardly or brave, where the latter gives a bonus (extra points or extra action). Playing brave carries the risk of being trumped by another player with the same card, though, and losing the action(s) of the card entirely. Naturally, that's not great if that action (e.g., movement) would have been a precondition for a subsequently planned action (e.g., delivering a potion), which in our case led to frustration pretty quickly.

One could sidestep this by playing cowardly, but another source of frustration turned out to be that players are forced to follow and play a matching card form their hand, which in turn upends any plans one might have had (e.g., wanting to move before delivering but being forced to play the delivery card first, which often renders that action useless as well as the movement card that remains).

In the end players thus frequently end up unraveling each others plans, intended or not. But since there are 2 pawns and 4 cards need to be played, some planning is generally necessary.

We generally like interactivity in board games, but in this case said contradiction imposes a rather destructive and slightly chaotic feel. And to us that is disproportionate to the rule complexity and time investment of a "Kennerspiel" (though at the lighter end of that spectrum). Even the included rule variants and extensions, which seem somewhat arbitrary and hardly add depth, don't really help with that. Bummer.

Interessantes Konzept, aber wird dem eigenen Anspruch nicht gerecht.

Bewertung: 5/10

Broom Service liegt eigentlich ein cleverer Mechanismus zu Grunde. Jeder Spieler hat den selben (ansehnlich illustrierten) Kartensatz und waehlt jede Runde einen Teil davon aus um verschiedene Aktionen abzuwickeln: Traenke einsammeln, auf benachbarte Felder des (schoen anzusehenden) Bretts bewegen, oder Traenke abliefern um Punkte zu kassieren. Dazu gibt's noch die Wetterfeekarte die Wolken auf benachbarten Feldern "wegzaubern" (einsammeln) kann, welche am Ende des Spiels auch Punkte geben.

Jede Karte laesst sich feige oder tapfer spielen, wobei letzteres einen Bonus gibt (Extraaktion oder -punkte). Tapfer zu spielen birgt allerdings das Risiko von einem anderen Spieler in der Runde mit der selben Karte uebertrumpft zu werden und die gesamte(n) Aktion(en) der Karte zu verlieren. Das ist natuerlich bloed wenn die Aktion (z.B. Bewegen) Voraussetzung fuer eine spaetere Aktion sein sollte (z.B. Trank abliefern), was in unseren Runden schnell zu Frust gefuehrt hat.

Das liesse sich ja noch umgehen indem man feige spielt, aber als weiterer Frustfaktor stellte sich bei uns heraus dass man immer anspielen muss wenn man eine passende Karte auf der Hand hat, was wiederum geplante Abfolgen durcheinander wirbelt (z.B. wenn man erst eine Figur bewegen will um dann einen Trank abzuliefern, aber man dann die Karte zum Abliefern zuerst anspielen muss, wodurch erst diese Karte quasi nutzlos wird und danach auch noch das Bewegen).

Im Endeffekt machen sich die Spieler somit meist gegenseit ihre jeweiligen Plaene zunichte, ob gewollt oder nicht. Da es aber gilt fuer 2 Spielfiguren 4 Karten pro Runde zu spielen ist Planung eigentlich geboten.

Wir moegen eigentlich Interaktivitaet bei Brettspielen, aber hier gibt der beschriebene Widerspruch dem Ganzen im Endeffekt eine ziemliche destruktive und etwas chaotische Note. Und das steht leider fuer uns in keinem Verhaeltnis zum Regelumfang und Zeitaufwand als sog. "Kennerspiel" (wenn auch am seichteren Ende des Spektrums). Da helfen auch die Regelvarianten nicht wirklich, die etwas willkuehrlich daher kommen und dem Spiel kaum mehr Tiefe verleihen. Schade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the fence, but this seems too confrontational (in a nice way) for our group, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAC PAC
France
flag msg tools
I guess you don't like to take risk and bluffing game. It's little bit like citadelle : you have to guess what other player will play in order to plan some actions.

I personally do not agree with all your negative points but I understand that this game might not appeal to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Berg von Linde
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
when are we getting an expansion for Yedo?
mbmbmbmbmb
Broom Service is the most pure fun non-party-game I have played. If you dont mind chaos, you will be quoting "No I'M the brave mountain witch!!!" Long after its over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
This review seems to overlook the incredible fun of second guessing your opponents and trying to use turn order and game position to manipulate positive outcomes for yourself and negative outcomes for your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Big
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Shadows over Camelot fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Take it off of my face!Microbadge: The Dice Tower fan
Fun is mentioned in a couple comments above, and that's a key word for me... this game is FUN, and the reactions out of fellow witches when you trump their brave or when you force someone who follows you to make a play out of there planned order... pure fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mb
I'm keen to try this, I like second-guessing in games, and I've heard good reports. But I'm put off buying it partly by the title (what a dreadful pun) but mainly by the shocking artwork on the board. In fact, I had a choice between this and Mission: Red Planet and the latter won, I love those spaceships on their earth launchpads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Diller
United States
Clyde
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baddice wrote:
But I'm put off buying it partly by the title (what a dreadful pun) but mainly by the shocking artwork on the board.
I bought it because I got to play it once and enjoyed the gameplay, but I agree with you- the artwork is dreadful IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls