Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Tajemnicze Domostwo» Forums » General

Subject: Do the original cards fit the US ghost screen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Hi all! I'm new here to boardgamegeek, and I'm hoping somebody can answer a couple questions I have about the different versions of Mysterium.

I currently have the new English US version on order. I do like the new artwork from what I've seen online but I also like the original artwork as well. If I had the original Polish or Russian version, would those cards fit in the US ghost screen? I know the expansion is coming for other editions which will include a screen so I'm assuming those would fit the earlier original cards, but for now, would the original cards fit the US screen? Are they the same size or are some cards larger?

Also, where do you recommend buying the Russian (or Polish) version if I'm in the US?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, all earlier european releases have BIG ghost cards. The location and characer cards used by the ghost in those versions are the same size as the player cards and the dream deck (Dixit size). On the libellud (a.k.a. american) release the player and dream cards are still that big, but the matching ghost cards are a lot smaller, and the slots on the ghost screen are made for that size.

Sure, with a bit of fiddling I guess you could manage to place the bigger cards in a way they would hold in place (maybe inclined and held just by one corner, try it yourself using the big cards from the game), and it beats having to keep them face-down in piles on the table, but it wouldn't be the ideal solution.

I made a homebrew ghost screen for the polish version using cardboard, some prints and some premium card sleeves, and it fits all the cards needed for 6 players. Look in the Creative section of the gallery for some ideas if you want to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I see. Thank you for that quick reply. So then all the US cards are the same size as the original versions except the ghost cards, which are now smaller? Disappointing that the US decided to print the ghost cards smaller. Why in the world would they have done that?

If I wanted to pick up the Ukrainian edition so that it would be compatible with the expansion next year, where could I pick that up for a reasonable price online?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they did it to keep the screen at a decent size and still allow for the 18 slots needed for a 7-player game. As you can see above, mine is quite big (and keep in mind I have a big table). Some of the custom screens I've seen only have 12 slots (4 players) or have to use weird layouts and overlapping cards to keep the size down for normal tables.

I don't know where you can get it at a good price. Prior to the release of the amercan version, the polish one was about $80 on Amazon and other places that imported it, and I'm not sure if the new version affected those prices. You can try contacting Portal Games directly to see how much it costs from them. I luckily got mine from a relative that came visiting from Spain, she has a FLGS near her house and sent me a photo of the shelves asking me what I wanted (the price there was 34 euros).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, the cards from Tajemnicze Domostwo (2013) (TD13) do not fit in the screen from Mysterium (2015) (M15).

However, practically they work fine:

I have put the characters at the bottom and the items at the top instead of the way M15 says to do it so that the larger cards don't stick out of the top.

You can also use the cards from both games together.

The psychic cards are almost the same size (maybe 1mm different). If that bothers you, you can make them exactly the same size with card sleeves.

The ghost cards are different sizes. M15 has medium size cards and TD13 uses small and large cards.
You could make them all the same size with card sleeves. Put the TD13 object cards in med sleeves and the M15 character and location cards in large sleeves.

The only difficulty when using the cards from both games together is when the ghost shuffles the cards and randomly places them in the screen. You have three options.
1) Trust the ghost to be random despite the difference in card size.
2) Use sleeves to make the cards the same size.
3) For the shuffle and randomly place in screen step, have the ghost use the psychic cards (which are the same size) . Then either (a) use the ghost cards for the psychics (now their cards are not all the same size) or (b) the ghost replaces the psychic cards that are now in the screen with the matching ghost cards, randomize the psychic cards again including the ones not used by ghost, and hand over the psychic cards to be placed on the table for the psychics.

We do option 3b but are considering option 2.

The box lids on either side help with the problem of the larger TD13 cards sticking out of the sides of the screen. And I have put the characters at the bottom and the items at the top instead of the way M15 says to do it so that the larger cards don't stick out of the top. For the picture I put them facing the camera but usually I put them facing the psychics.

It works fine, making TD13 like an expansion for M15. Some of the cards from the two sets are for the same thing like two watchmakers and so you have to be careful not to use those cards together. But TD13 has at least 17 card pairs that are completely different and many that are of the same thing but different enough that they would need different clues resulting in more replayability.

The M15 cards are numbered for easy setup. The TD13 cards are not numbered. One of the advantages of sleeves is that then you can put numbers on the TD13 cards with say stickers on the sleeves without damaging your cards. You could then give the Tailor from TD13 the same number as the Seamstress from M15 to help you avoid selecting both during the setup of a hybrid game.

If you want to try a hybrid game before investing in a purchase you can try one in the play-by-forum forum.

Waiting Room: Waiting room for Mysterium (2015) PBF
General Discussion: General Discussion Thread for Mysterium (2015) PBF
Game Threads: Mysterium (2015) PBF forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.