Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: No Retreat: The Russian Front fanMicrobadge: US Marine CorpsMicrobadge: Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service RibbonMicrobadge: Shell Back- I've crossed the Equator.Microbadge: Virginia Military Institute
From the NCAA:

Texas Tech and Centenary faced off in one of the craziest games in college football history on Nov. 11, 1939.

A driving rainstorm turned the field into a sloppy mess and neither offense could move the ball by running or passing. Each team repeatedly punted the ball in hopes the other would fumble the return and they would be able to recover it with good field position.

The teams combined for an NCAA record 77 punts. Yes, 77 punts, 67 of which came on first down.

There were 14 fumbles but neither team could turn those mistakes into a score. The game ended in a 0-0 tie.

Texas Tech finished the game with -1 total yards while Centenary gained a whopping 31.

Thirteen NCAA records were set during the game, the most for any contest in history, according to Steve Boda, a retired associate director of NCAA statistics. Among the most incredible records from the game: Texas Tech punter Charlie Calhoun had 1,318 yards punting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sport Games fanMicrobadge: I keep my ratings currentMicrobadge: BackstabberMicrobadge: I record detailed playsMicrobadge: Your ad here
What a strange game. Time to make up some inclement weather rules for Football Strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fog of war enthusiast

Yes, something along the lines of Magic's Unglued.

The defense identifies a gesture or word. If the offense doesn't first make the gesture or say the word, before calling its play there is a 5yd loss attached to the result of the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: No Retreat: The Russian Front fanMicrobadge: US Marine CorpsMicrobadge: Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service RibbonMicrobadge: Shell Back- I've crossed the Equator.Microbadge: Virginia Military Institute
I played in a split-back offense, but one of our opponents ran the Single Wing. The Single Wing is ideal for quick kicking game.

(Basically, if we pinned them deep, look for the quick kick.)

Near the end of the game, they quick kicked on 2nd down. The kick hit our safety in the backside of his helmet, and after a loose ball they recovered the ball on our 19 yd line.

They ran a few sweeps, then kicked a field goal and won the game 5-3!

We scored one field goal, the opponents earned one safety and that darn field goal. By the way, this was a grade-school game.

What a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls