Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Lawn GnomeMicrobadge: I will never stop playing SNES!Microbadge: Rubber DuckyMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
Hey there! Please don't just vote! Please leave comments or feedback - all of these are just sketches and any aspects can be changed!

The box size is the same as Pandemic (original version) (305x223mm).

Here are the current sketches:

Landscape 1

Landscape 2

Portrait 1

Portrait 2

Poll
This poll is to help determine the box art for the board game Tavarua!
Which Box Artwork do you like best for Tavarua?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Landscape 1
20.5% 18
Landscape 2
39.8% 35
Portrait 1
38.6% 34
Portrait 2
1.1% 1
Voters 88
This poll is now closed.   88 answers
Poll created by Sasachaz
Closes: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:00 am

If you haven't already, please see the Kickstarter for Tavarua here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438045410/tavarua?ref=b...

Thanks for participating!!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Landscape 1 and Portrait 1. I like that they give a different perspective than what you usually get from surfing shots. Most are from the beach, facing the surfer. I like this over the shoulder, just behind the surfer shots, especially with the barrel wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree -- the over the shoulder shot puts you in the action more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cooksey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape 2 seems the most iconic to me, but I also like the way Landscape 1 frames the sky and the beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Idea of Landscape 1, but I don't see a good place on the box to put the Title of the game. I also don't feel that Landscape 1 allows you to feel the power of the wave...I like the way the wave is curling over in Portrait 1, better. Although it just might be the most accurate Point of View for a surfer.

Landscape 2is exactly what you'd expect from a surfing pic. Powerful wave, good placement for the Title in the upper left. Iconic. I like this one a lot.

Portrait 1 I really like the point of view of this shot. Excellent feel for the power of the wave. You could put the title at the top of the pic in the wave. This is probably the most interesting overall.

Portrait 2 This is exactly what you'd see from the beach...but I think it's too 3rd person and not interesting enough. Although it does have the best spot for the game title.

I wonder what a 1st person shot would look like... with just the tip of the board in front of you and the wave crashing all around you...looking in at the beach. Not sure how well that could be captured....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape 1 is a close winner over Portrait 1 for me. Love the point of view shot, looking down the wave from the surfer's point of view. Landscape 1 just feels more dynamic to me--closer to the action, the wave closing in. Portrait 2 is similar, but not as "urgent."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Burcham
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Windows found a virus. It's a Pandemic.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like landscape 1 but I'm not really into seeing people's back-ends.
A face is more appealing than a back.
If you don't want to do the likeness of your dad, I say lose the surfer entirely and place some sort of image references from the game in the distance. Possibly the rock that is on the game board and other features in your design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
At first my favourite was Portrait 1, the perspective "into the eye of the storm" is good, but something in the surfer posture made me change.

So the background of Portrait 1 (whole engulfing wave) with the Landscape 1 surfer could be a perfect mix.

Clicked on Portrait 1 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I like Landscape 1 because it's an over the should shot inside a tunnel with foreboding of wiping out, and is oriented for peripheral vision. The one I truly dislike is Portrait 2 because it looks bland and side-to-side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Oman
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I really like both Landscape 1 and Portrait 1. I voted for landscape 1 but it's not an obvious choice over portrait 1.
I liked the viewpoint because it really gives the viewer a feel of being there, in the moment. Landscape and Portrait 2 are awesome looking, but I get the feeling of looking in a magazine. They're not participatory for the viewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Burcham
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Windows found a virus. It's a Pandemic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya know, with the surfer theme you could get away with a liberal use of the "Papyrus" font. This might be the only true application for the font.

No? Alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
Microbadge: Metagaming fanMicrobadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: Ruthenia fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fanMicrobadge: nestorgames fan
Landscape 2 or Portrait 1, either look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portrait 1: In the Green Room!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Griffin
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape 2 seems most iconic, but has the most blue so may stand not out when printed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son, a surfer, asking whether you are representing a specific surf spot. If you are, make sure whether the wave is a "left" or a "right" and that should be represented on the cover just to make it authentic and more relevant to real surfers!

Oh and did you ever think of selling the game to surf stores? Down here in Manhattan Beach there are many nice surf stores

PS: He picked Landscape 2 as being more iconic for surfers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Gamio
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape 2 - For me thats the most classic shot, and with that one I see better ways to place the title and other stuff on the cover. Not that I dislike the over-the-shoulder shots, but I think the classic shot is classic ® and this game is not competing against any game out there as far as I know, so as to need to "stand out" in a crowded genre or anything. How many "surfing games" are out there? (It´s not as if you were thinking about a cover for a game about zombies, if you know what I mean)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Gamio
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, I think the wave crushing and the foam and stuff looks better in the classic shot, but I think this games stands out on its own just because of the unique theme anyway so I dont think you can go that much wrong with any of those covers. But I would go with landscape 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bohman
Sweden
Taberg
flag msg tools
ryansdavis wrote:
Landscape 1 is a close winner over Portrait 1 for me. Love the point of view shot, looking down the wave from the surfer's point of view. Landscape 1 just feels more dynamic to me--closer to the action, the wave closing in. Portrait 2 is similar, but not as "urgent."
This, exactly. The figure in Landscape 1 seems to be heading into the wave, going for it. The figure in Portrait 1 seems to be a bit hesitant about the wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Archer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Gorgeous sketches, they are all great and very hard to choose. I like Portrait 1 because it says to me "Are you going to go for it?" which summarizes the choices you will have to make in Tavarua. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
I like both landscape 1 and portrait 1. The first one almost puts you in the seat, so to speak, of the surfer (which is what the game is all about). Portrait 1 looks awesome (in the proper sense of the word).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape 2 IMHO - plenty of space for the other important stuff which goes on the lid of a game box whilst still showing exactly what the game's about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ronzino
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them all, but I like Portrait 1 and Landscape 2 the best.

I still think you need to give him the likeness of your father!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brennan
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portrait 1 or Landscape 1 for sure. They feel more like they put you "in" the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be for Landscape 2 or Portrait 2.

While I like the 1’s because they offer a perspective that is different from what we traditionally see, I don’t see them working as a box cover, for me at least. While it may draw attention to the box because the pictures are a bit jarring since they are not the surfing images our brains are conditioned to see (which is good as an attention getter), I don’t sense an inviting, warm and fuzzy feeling from them. The picture and therefore the package is going away from me and not inviting me to join or meet up with it.

Meanwhile, the 2’s are coming towards me and engaging me. In addition, they are the surfing pictures and perspectives that we are conditioned to think of for surfing so the dissonance is gone. There is no subconscious conflict going on about “I think I am seeing something ‘odd’ in/about this picture.” to distract from the positive “Hey, cool. That’s a neat surfing picture. Is that really a surfing game?” The 2’s are also very much in line with iconic surfing images.

In playing Devil’s Advocate for the 1’s, as sketched, they would seem to be better for including other surfers or surfing images in the picture than the 2’s.

I like Landscape 2 more as a picture because I see the image as incorporating more action and intensity, coming at me and engaging me.

Portrait 2 would probably work better as the box cover art canvas for the necessary graphic design elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hanson
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Visit www.SkyFortressGames.com to see my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I believe the Landscape 1 is well-suited because:
1. It puts the player into the scene as the surfer, so is aspirational.
2. It's showcases the land which is goal of each run (make it back.)
3. The composition follows a little bit of the rule of thirds.
4. The promise of just being on the cusp of making it through the barrel is exciting along with the splashing water showing the action.

-Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls