Subject: The LAST game of my collection! (sigh...) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
Hi Guys!

I've read your posts and threads for a looottt of time, but I've never written, that's my first!

Because for this important topic I need your help.

as the subject: The LAST game of my collection! (for a lot of reasons... sigh...)

In a few I'll get married and probably I'll be no more able to buy more boardgames for a lot of reasons...

So now I must do a very critical choice and I need your help!!!

I would like a fast game (maximum 45 minutes), fast set up, complex with a lot of strategy and really enjoyable in two.
My girlfriend and I really like to play Caverna and Puerto Rico (that I both have), so the first thinking was to buy a "simpler version" of that games:

- San Juan second edition
- Glass Roads

So at the moment I have this two alternatives. I've read a lot about that games and seems what I'm looking for. What do you think about? Can be those game a duplicate or something not enjoyable?
Consider that I already have Glory to Rome shall I discard immediately San Juan?

Thank you very much!!!cool

EDIT: now should be better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Puza
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're going to marry a girl who won't let you enjoy a harmless hobby???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard immediately girlfriend who will force you from your hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
ahaha!!!

no guys!! the are lotssss of reasons... not my girlfriend!!!

she was her to introduce me in boardgames and I mainly play with her, don't worry!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are getting married not dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is NOT very deep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
I'm thinking I wrote the question in the wrong way...

laughlaughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.. serious attempt... 45 mins playing time, weight >3, popular (in BGG top100). Enter search .... one outcome: android netrunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
tried, but I haven't liked much the setting....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Glass Road! It plays within 45 minutes (2 player) and is very tactical. I think it looks very nice and I love its variety. You only see a few of the over 90 buildings in each game so you can't use the same stategy in every game over and over again. After Agricola and At the Gates of Loyang I didn't think that another Rosenberg could hit the right nerve but then along came Glass Road and Patchwork. Maybe you should get both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I defenitely think Glassroad is a very good game, plays well with 2p as well and I don't think it's too similar to what you already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Tracey

Newton Flotman
Norfolk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try All Creatures Great and Small, you won't regret it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
TheHunter wrote:
Go for Glass Road! It plays within 45 minutes (2 player) and is very tactical. I think it looks very nice and I love its variety. You only see a few of the over 90 buildings in each game so you can't use the same stategy in every game over and over again. After Agricola and At the Gates of Loyang I didn't think that another Rosenberg could hit the right nerve but then along came Glass Road and Patchwork. Maybe you should get both of them.
YourLoveOnly wrote:
I defenitely think Glassroad is a very good game, plays well with 2p as well and I don't think it's too similar to what you already own.
and what about interaction? is it good?

NeilDT wrote:
Try All Creatures Great and Small, you won't regret it
I'm also thinking about it because is more portable, but I don't know if I can stand more animeeple than the thousands I have in Caverna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico in 45 minutes = Santiago de Cuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation, 30 mins, small box, small area, low setup, chaotic, you improve as you keep playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Last game?

You'll be back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
volnon wrote:

Last game?

You'll be back...
the next is always the last! laugh

But this time this will be the truth!

anyway at the beginning I was undecided between 2, now between 5.. what a mess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're getting married...

The Kama Sutra Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
You are getting married not dying.
Um...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: The Bermuda Crisis: Discovery Dawning (Second Edition) fanMicrobadge: Amateur MagicianMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Michigan State University
Some of my favorite fast games:

The Campaign for North Africa (kidding!)

In all seriousness...

Two Player:
Balloon Cup
Lost Cities
Elder Sign (maybe a touch too long)
Hive
Magic: the Gathering (if you hate money)

If you want the option for more players, some I enjoy are:
Arctic Scavengers
Splendor
Carcassonne
The Bermuda Crisis: Discovery Dawning (www.bermudacrisis.com)
(a little self indulgence... whistle)

Consider games that have expansions so you can hook her on a game but have an "easy" opportunity to expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game

Similar to Magic: the Gathering, but a complete game for 15$. Playtime is 10-30 minutes, with an additional 10-15 if you draft before actually playing. Very deep as far as I can tell after my first 30 games. Very high interaction, but not of the peaceful kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Sava
Italy
Magenta
flag msg tools
Trantor42 wrote:
Epic Card Game

Similar to Magic: the Gathering, but a complete game for 15$. Playtime is 10-30 minutes, with an additional 10-15 if you draft before actually playing. Very deep as far as I can tell after my first 30 games. Very high interaction, but not of the peaceful kind.
mmmm nice!

more we argue more we like! I will have a look, thanks

EDIT: massive use of text and no localization in my language (Italian...)... this is a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csava wrote:
Trantor42 wrote:
Epic Card Game

mmmm nice!

more we argue more we like! I will have a look, thanks

EDIT: massive use of text and no localization in my language (Italian...)... this is a problem
I don't think it is so bad. You need to learn several keywords, but once you know them, most cards ate easily understandable. And you can always leave out the ones with too much text.
But no local release may be a problem, too. Here in Germany, it is not that easy to find the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be able to find Innovation in your local language through Iello. It is a great 2-player game, but the games do tend to run a little long (or at least longer than people expect for such a small box). Very enjoyable -- still one of my favorites after all these years.

Another game to check out is Star Realms. Great deck-building game, perfect for 2 players. From the makers of Epic. This game uses far less text overall.

Race for the Galaxy is a great game, but has a different kind of interaction than the other two. Both players are competing to get the highest score within a fixed amount of turns, but doing so by trying to predict what actions your opponent will play this turn.
(Ack. Just realized -- it's San Juan in space.)

Hey, try Race for the Galaxy. It's San Juan in space!

All of these games are great, relatively cheap games that play with 2 players. They all have expansions, but are "complete" out-of-the-box and I don't particularly recommend getting the expansions as they are not needed to fully enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably choose Race for the Galaxy over San Juan, but there is a learning bump at the beginning that you both have to be willing to get past (there are symbols everywhere, and you will spend a lot of time looking them up at the start, but then they will become fast and natural), whereas San Juan you can pretty much just sit down and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |