Hide
16 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Nymestra and Rath rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neill ramsey
msg tools
Microbadge: Spider-Man fanMicrobadge: What time is it? It's time to play Boardgames!Microbadge: Dungeons & Dragons fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: X-Men fan
I am thinking of building a legion pairing the two. Does anyone have thoughts on how they should work together? I am thinking building Nymestra as the buffer/de-buffer and Rath as the damage dealer, due to his ability to re-roll one blank. Perhaps putting the staff of power on Nymestra and the silver staff on Rath, that way I can clear my damage spells quickly, and cast defensive spells with Nymestra without the token. I am also considering leadership on Nymestra. Any further thoughts, or combos?
I quickly went to the legion builder to whip up this

Creature 1:Nymmestra29
HeroicLeadership3
EquipmentStaff of Power4
ArcaneFly2
ArcaneDispel Magic3
ArcaneDarkness2
ArcanePearl of Power3
ArcaneCounterspell4

Creature 2:Rath Modar23
HeroicTattoo of Obfuscation2
EquipmentSilver Staff3
ArcaneDisintegrate6
ArcaneLightning Bolt3
ArcaneFireball3
ArcaneIce Storm5

Creature 3:Hand of Fury12

Creature 4:Hand of Fury12

Artifacts:
Pearl of Power(3)
Legion Total: 119

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Zarbag's GitzMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Sepulchral GuardMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Ironskull’s BoyzMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Spiteclaw's SwarmMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I like your thoughts on the build so far. If you're talking about a 120 pt build, you'll want a third creature. Someone that can take a beating carrying the Party Leader upgrade? Maybe having that figure bringing up the middle of the formation to make maximum benefit from Party Leader. Made better if the middle figure can fly. That way it would be highly unlikely that any 1 area attack can hit more than one of your combatants.
Edit - While I was writing this, I see you edited your legion to show it has 2 Hand of Fury's. I don't know if they'll work very well for you unless you know you'll be facing an all-ground enemy. Without Challenge, they have no way to attack flyers. Also, Rath has so much offense on him that he'll be an immediate and obvious target. Even with Nymmestra trying to run interference, Rath will be dead before he ever gets to fire off all those spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neill ramsey
msg tools
Microbadge: Spider-Man fanMicrobadge: What time is it? It's time to play Boardgames!Microbadge: Dungeons & Dragons fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: X-Men fan
The hands of Fury were put there to spend the rest of the points. I'm sure they won't be there in the final version. I want this to be a 120 point build and agree that Rath will probably be killed quick even with the Tatoo and darkness giving him +2 defense dice. I like the idea of a three figure build with party leader, maybe the Chimera for a breath weapon, or one of the young dragons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Zarbag's GitzMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Sepulchral GuardMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Ironskull’s BoyzMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Spiteclaw's SwarmMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Party Leader can only go on an "Adventurer". That is, it's a heroic upgrade that can go on a unique creature with a small base that has at least one heroic slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Splitting the defence and offence spells just means that you won't have enough attack power. Imagine going against Zeno and never being allowed to attack. A single crit could also prevent you from ever attacking.

Rath doesn't need four attack spells plus the Silver Staff to remove disable tokens; he isn't going to make 6 attacks in a game.

Darkness pins you to a location and helps your enemies if they are within it. Mirror Image is a good choice since you won't be in range to attack on your first turn.

Warhorse and Arrow-Catching Shield work well on wizards.

If you want a really aggressive Rath, consider pairing him with something like Lord Max or Zeno. Either you will get off more spells from Rath or your opponent will be weakened before dealing with a highly-defensive threat.

Hand of Fury with Adamantine Lance on a Giant Vulture is a great filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neill ramsey
msg tools
How many attack spells for Rath? I am thinking two. I really like Lightening Bolt for him and Fireball is D&D (RPG) staple. Disintegration is very powerful. Any thoughts on who should be the third, maybe Drizz't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drizz't is also good, but he is half a list at 120 points.

Use strong attack spells like Disintegrate and Finger of Death. Make each shot count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neill ramsey
msg tools
Yeah, I guess Drizz't is too expensive. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
badge
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
Microbadge: Quixotic Games fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Alliance fanMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Level 16 BGG poster
I have found that a combination of Mirror Image (Arcane) + Toughness (Heroic) can really keep Nymmestra alive for quite some time.

Also, don't forget War Caster and Spell Sniper. They can make your spells much more effective.

And, if you've got 5 extra points, Combat Reflexes really pulls its weight on spellcasters. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Andrew Parks wrote:
I have found that a combination of Mirror Image (Arcane) + Toughness (Heroic) can really keep Nymmestra alive for quite some time.
^^^^^
This.

If you have access to two Mirror Image and two Toughness upgrades I'd put one each on Nymmy and Rath.

For your third creature you might consider Ontharr with:
Challenge
Helm
Lance
Party Leader

For 27 points, O gives you your Party Leader.
The rest is just tailoring your spellcasters to the type of spells you want to be offensive with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Dreadball: The Futuristic Sports Game fanMicrobadge: Cyclades fanMicrobadge: Wizards of the Coast "Lords of Waterdeep" Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing fan
If Nymestra is your buff/debuff wizard, she doesn't need the action economy of the staff of power. It is much better served on Rath Modar. Or just forget it completely and go with war caster, which does the same job at lower cost and allow you to target/concentrate the spells. Rath Modar only needs a few spells, such as disintegrate and finger of death, to really trouble big opponents, then something small to allow him to chip away. Eldritch bolt is a good fallback as it doesn't disable or discard. Giving Nymestra the silver staff will supply her with the slots she needs for spells. She doesn't really need fly to be effective. Put her on a warhores if you want mobility.
Rath Modar is and realistically always will be a glass cannon. I wouldn't count on long term survivability for him. You just want him to live long enough to deliver hs big spells. Toughness will help keep him alive better than the tattoo, also as some have mentioned, with the arrow catching shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A robust spellcaster: http://build.dndaw.com/link/MjUwMTozMDA3OjI0MDM6MzYwNzoyODA4...

Depending on your meta, Sunburst may be a useful attack spell.

The Legion Builder seems to have a bug for Pearl of Power on Nymestra; you shouldn't get a 1-LP discount since it is a Campaign Artifact instead of an Arcane Spell (reported).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
A robust spellcaster: http://build.dndaw.com/link/MjUwMTozMDA3OjI0MDM6MzYwNzoyODA4...

Depending on your meta, Sunburst may be a useful attack spell.

The Legion Builder seems to have a bug for Pearl of Power on Nymestra; you shouldn't get a 1-LP discount since it is a Campaign Artifact instead of an Arcane Spell (reported).
You could also just remove the Pearl and Sunburst and still have a good delivery platform for Disintegration.
I've been wanting to figure out a way to make this guy playable.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I finally got around to making a Nym and Rath build for the Wedding Crashers...
http://build.dndaw.com/link/NzAxOjA6MTYwNDo3MDg6NTEwODoxMTks...
edit: Maybe I'll replace Nym's magic missle with mirror image in hopes she'll live long enough to fire off a second boosted disintegrate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellish Rebuke only works if you were already planning on doing Eldritch Blast and then leaves you free to make a 1-die attack. It was packaged with a fighter who would be making a 4-die primary weapon attack afterwards. You might be better off just taking Fireball. Eldritch Blast is less useful if you have the Silver Staff, so better yet take two powerful spells and hope to get four shots off before leaving the Prime Material Plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I was planning on having both a Target and a Concentrate token next to Rath at (hopefully) the crucial time. He can fire off lightning bolt with the concentrate and still be able punish anyone who attacks him with hellish rebuke. I might replace the eldritch blast with fireball, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls