Edu Gon
msg tools
First question:

What happen when you decide to retreat in a sea battle that you have previously start by creating a ship?

Example:
You have a port and the enemy has 2 boats in the sea hex adjacent to your port. You build 2 ships and put both in this hex and start the battle. After the first round you lose a ship and decide, as the attacker, to stop the fight. Could you that? If yes, where would you go (as you cannot retreat to your original hex)?

Second question

Your port have two sea hex adjacent, but only one occupied by enemy ships. You build one or more ships. Could you choose in which of both hex you want to put your ships, or are you forced to put them in the free hex (or in the occupied one)?

Third question
When you build a ship and start a battle, I presume that this battle is part of your action "build" and not a new action? (like when you move and have a combat, combat is part of the move). Am I right?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"I love beautiful melodies telling me terrible things."
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon69 wrote:
First question:

What happen when you decide to retreat in a sea battle that you have previously start by creating a ship?

Example:
You have a port and the enemy has 2 boats in the sea hex adjacent to your port. You build 2 ships and put both in this hex and start the battle. After the first round you lose a ship and decide, as the attacker, to stop the fight. Could you that? If yes, where would you go (as you cannot retreat to your original hex)?

Second question

Your port have two sea hex adjacent, but only one occupied by enemy ships. You build one or more ships. Could you choose in which of both hex you want to put your ships, or are you forced to put them in the free hex (or in the occupied one)?

Third question
When you build a ship and start a battle, I presume that this battle is part of your action "build" and not a new action? (like when you move and have a combat, combat is part of the move). Am I right?

Thanks
I'm not entirely sure on the first question, but my guess is that you cannot retreat.

As for the 2nd, you must declare which sea hex your port is adjacent to when you Increase City Size with a port piece. Then, you may only build ships in that sea hex.

Last question: Yes, the battle is part of your build action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Do you mean "coastal city with a port building" when you say port?
The actual port building is supposed to jut into a sea space, thats the sea space its ships must be built into - this may answer most of the questions.

1) only relevant when he's blockading the sea space your port building is going into. Yes, you can build to start a fight. Since as you say there is no originating hex to retreat to, I assume you cannot retreat.

2) You can't choose where to put the ships, they must go to the space your port building is going into. If the enemy is blockading that hex by having ships in it, battle results. If he's goofing off next to it, you cannot start an automatic fight via build action, needs a subsequent move

3) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the correct answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize that you have to connect the port to one specific hex.
Best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
edugon wrote:
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize that you have to connect the port to one specific hex.
Best
It even has a bunch of piers and such you can put over the water on the side of the piece that's not round to connect to city center - port city will be off-center in its hex a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have too big influence from Sid Meirs PC game in which you could just exploit all the coast and sea tiles. Actually it makes more sense that you could only exploit one sea hex. When you have a port your capacity of fishing is the same if you are in an island surrended by water or if you are in fjord: More water close to your city do not mean more fish. This Marcussen is a genious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
edugon wrote:
I have too big influence from Sid Meirs PC game in which you could just exploit all the coast and sea tiles. Actually it makes more sense that you could only exploit one sea hex. When you have a port your capacity of fishing is the same if you are in an island surrended by water or if you are in fjord: More water close to your city do not mean more fish. This Marcussen is a genious...
Don't confuse the building of ships with the fishing (it sounds to me like you do).

You can only fish from one sea space, but it does not need to be the space where your port goes into (the two are not linked - you are after all able to fish even without building a port).

The ports ability to get gold or mood instead of that one food you could get, is also good for the other spaces. So even if your port is blockaded, you can still get gold or mood from a different sea space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carsten... One day I will probably apply correctly all the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls