Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
Popa de rosu!
badge
wheeeeee!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
More so than suggesting a variant, I was wondering whether Paulo and Nuno playtested the game with the contracts being available to all players. I don't know enough of that period in Japan to see whether it makes sense or not thematically.

There could be 8 (or 7 or 6) contract tiles drawn randomly next to the game board at the start, available for all players to fulfil. Once a contract is completed by a player, draw a replacement from a bag.

A possible advantage would be more player interaction (if some think there's not enough already).
A possible downside would be that not all type of contracts would be available from the start (though one could make all 8 types available part of setup), slowing down some players who otherwise would've fulfilled an easy contract for more cash to boost their economic engine. It could also imbalance the game somewhat if there were lets say 3 of the 12VP contracts up, with only 1 player having 4 factories at that point.

Just some food for thought, please share your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The random meeple draw is plenty randomness for me. Adding an additional random element would tilt the game too far in that direction and kill the game for me in the same way that the cargo cards in Panamax did for that game.

A variant with all of the contracts available, but at a quantity of "player count -1" might be interesting. The factory build up would be dramatically altered by the ability to spam the same contract card multiple times, but it might force players to work a certain niche rather than all taking the same build path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Open Contracts" is a genial idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
More so than suggesting a variant, I was wondering whether Paulo and Nuno playtested the game with the contracts being available to all players. I don't know enough of that period in Japan to see whether it makes sense or not thematically.

There could be 8 (or 7 or 6) contract tiles drawn randomly next to the game board at the start, available for all players to fulfil. Once a contract is completed by a player, draw a replacement from a bag.

A possible advantage would be more player interaction (if some think there's not enough already).
A possible downside would be that not all type of contracts would be available from the start (though one could make all 8 types available part of setup), slowing down some players who otherwise would've fulfilled an easy contract for more cash to boost their economic engine. It could also imbalance the game somewhat if there were lets say 3 of the 12VP contracts up, with only 1 player having 4 factories at that point.

Just some food for thought, please share your ideas.
We actually tried that version in previous versions of the game but we decided to skip them as it would make players feel that contracts were more important than playing in the map. If you don't play for the majorities, which is the goal of the game (fulfill the needs of Japan) you will most probably lose the game. When you have a fierce competition for anything else, in this case, the contracts, players will automatically play in Contract competition mode, probably putting aside other aspects of the game that might be more relevant to the narrative (regions influence).

But once you know the game, we're all for it.

Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls