Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fanMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fan
Guys i have never played Dominion, but i am by paradox quite experienced in the decbuilding gender.
Can i skip the base game and the first couple of expansions and get Seaside + the Base Cards box? Would that make sense .... i mean a fun game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it would work. But this isn't the set of cards I think work the best as an unique set. I enjoy the interaction of it with other sets more than within itself. For this, I would prefer Prosperity, or, of course, Intrigue.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fanMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fan
I see. If you wanna start with Dominion, and you have some experience in deckbuilding, what would you get to start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
I see. If you wanna start with Dominion, and you have some experience in deckbuilding, what would you get to start with?
I think Seaside + Base Cards would be fine. Hinterlands + Base Cards would also be a good choice. If you really want to dive into the deep end, Adventures + Base Cards is probably the best value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
Microbadge: Fan of The Martian bookMicrobadge: Eminent Domain fanMicrobadge: Machine Head fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Less is more
Most of the full-sized Dominion sets would work just fine, assuming you had some basic familiarity and a full set of base cards. The sets do tend to escalate in terms of inherent complexity as they progress, so I would avoid jumping in with sets like Dark Ages or Adventures (even though they are fantastic, they have a fair amount of unique and complex mechanisms).

The most popular non-Core/Intrigue set is Prosperity, and it stands alone very well.

My personal favorite set is Seaside, and I frequently play Seaside-only games and find the games to be wonderful.

Hinterlands is also a solid expansion, and the more I play it in an isolated sense, the more I enjoy it.

That said, starting with Intrigue is a great way to go if you literally have nothing else. It includes a full base-card set and includes some of the best (IMO) cards in the game for great matchups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any full-size expansions would work except Prosperity, Dark Ages and Adventures. Those 3 only work with a full compliment of experienced Dominion players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
Guys i have never played Dominion, but i am by paradox quite experienced in the decbuilding gender.
Can i skip the base game and the first couple of expansions and get Seaside + the Base Cards box? Would that make sense .... i mean a fun game?
Seaside is one of the most interesting expansions. Go for it, you'll definitely enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
yeeshkul wrote:
I think Seaside + Base Cards would be fine. Hinterlands + Base Cards would also be a good choice. If you really want to dive into the deep end, Adventures + Base Cards is probably the best value.
Value or not, I think playing Adventures without having first played a lot of other Dominion is a terrible idea....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
yeeshkul wrote:
Value or not, I think playing Adventures without having first played a lot of other Dominion is a terrible idea....
I think if you're e.g. someone who plays competitive Magic, probably you'll be fine. For the average consumer, I agree it's not optimal, but it's also not out of the question. Dominion is a pretty simple game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls