Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I made this thread is because I am constantly thinking of new/different board game mechanics. Some might have been used before, but in ways I've never seen, some I've just never experienced.

The idea is to share your mechanic ideas with the design community in hopes that someone can use them or help you develop them. If you're stuck on an idea and just don't know how to make it work, etc.

Here's some stuff to start us off:
Deck Builder Ideas: (I am aware that some of these mechanics are already in use).
-A deck builder where the main deck is built from a number of “packs” of cards, where each pack has some kind of theme. Kind of like Smash Up, or factions, like Star Realms. Let’s say there’s 15 packs, and you mix 5 to make the deck. There would always be certain cards available for purchase, like the Gold in Dominion, or Kicks in DC Comic Deckbuilding game.
(Apparently, Marvel Legendary is like this. You take 5 different HERO stacks and combine them to make the deck).

-A deck builder where each player has a Role card of sorts, and their role card determines their starting deck (of 10 or 12 cards or whatever). So each player’s starting deck will be somewhat different, including say a few standard cards, and certain special cards that only that character can gain. The characters might also have abilities that let them add or buy more of those special cards to include in their deck.
-Those Role cards might also have Level Up powers (kind of like Vs. System 2PCG), where when you perform certain actions, they gain XP and eventually level up, and when they level up, they have an even better power, or another power in addition to their starting power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why a thread asking for permission to make this post (here: See also: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1471696/)

And then a request for others to post *first*, instead of simply sharing something you've already thought of?

The best way to get something is to give something.

As a starting point...

https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgamemechanic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
One that I had a while back and was really excited about but was already dedicated to another idea (I don't work well on multiple ideas at once) was a mix of the hidden role mechanic and theme.

The theme would be college campus life. Most hidden role themes I've encountered were competitive where players had to figure out who the enemy was. I was thinking of a fun cooperative college campus life game where players had to juggle 3 stats. Social life, finance and academia while at the same time going on challenges. I haven't thought of many challenges but one that I really liked was a quest on planning a surprise party. One person would draw a card that said "The person on your right's birthday is coming up, plan a surprise birthday party for them with at least 2 of the other players without that person finding out". All players would have to get an item and bring it to the same location as the birthday player and bring them too.

There'd be a whole bunch of hidden quests going on as players try and score more points in social, finance and academia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Why a thread asking for permission to make this post (here: See also: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1471696/)

I wasn't asking for permission.

One of the reasons I didn't post right away was because all my ideas aren't super organized, so I need to look through them.

Anyway, here are a bunch of ideas for worker placement game mechanics I thought of:
•A worker placement game where, instead of each player having workers, the board starts with 2-3 workers already on the board, blocking certain spaces, and on a players turn, they move one worker to a different space. This way, each time a worker is moved, a new location opens up.

•A worker placement simultaneous-action-selection game. Where each player has a hand of cards that match the locations on the board. All players choose a location and then reveal them simultaneously. Then, players (either in turn order or in an order determined by numbers on the locations/cards) place workers at the location they revealed. If multiple workers go to the same location, the benefit of that location is either increased or decreased, so it might be beneficial to be the only player to visit a certain location, but it also might be beneficial for a lot of players to go to the same location.
-Also, what if certain locations allow you to buy access to new locations (on the board, that otherwise aren’t accessible), do this by gaining a location card with that location on it.
-Also, what about Special Location/Action Cards that give you special bonuses when you visit a location (like “You visit the location first, before other players). These would be unique (only one copy in the game), so if you got it first, no one else could get it. Maybe one for each location. This could be Equipment, like Swords/Clothes/Etc. If you go to the Blacksmith with a certain type of sword, he’ll serve you first. Thematic nonsense.
-I think this SAS system would work best if the cards were revealed simultaneously, but resolved one at a time, in clockwise order. This would create the need for a start player, and it would give you incentive to be the start player (you go to the location first and get the best benefit, usually). This almost gives it a programmed-movement feel, except you always know the order. But you don’t know how many other people will go there.

•A Worker placement game where the board has a ton of locations (like say 30) and the players start with a bunch of workers, like 8 or 9 or something. On their turn, they place one of their workers on the board, but it never comes off, it stays there for the entire game. Once everyone has played all their workers, the game ends.

•A Worker placement game where the board is a grid of tiles, with space in-between the tiles. You place your workers in-between the tiles, and you either get to take the benefits of both adjacent tiles, or like you choose one of the two. Could be square tiles or hex tiles.

•A Worker placement game where your workers are dice, and you roll them at the beginning of your turn. Then when you place the dice on a location, you take the action associated with that location a number of times equal to the number on the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
agentkuo wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I wasn't asking for permission.

One of the reasons I didn't post right away was because all my ideas aren't super organized, so I need to look through them.

Anyway, here are a bunch of ideas for worker placement game mechanics I thought of:
•A worker placement game where, instead of each player having workers, the board starts with 2-3 workers already on the board, blocking certain spaces, and on a players turn, they move one worker to a different space. This way, each time a worker is moved, a new location opens up.

•A worker placement simultaneous-action-selection game. Where each player has a hand of cards that match the locations on the board. All players choose a location and then reveal them simultaneously. Then, players (either in turn order or in an order determined by numbers on the locations/cards) place workers at the location they revealed. If multiple workers go to the same location, the benefit of that location is either increased or decreased, so it might be beneficial to be the only player to visit a certain location, but it also might be beneficial for a lot of players to go to the same location.
-Also, what if certain locations allow you to buy access to new locations (on the board, that otherwise aren’t accessible), do this by gaining a location card with that location on it.
-Also, what about Special Location/Action Cards that give you special bonuses when you visit a location (like “You visit the location first, before other players). These would be unique (only one copy in the game), so if you got it first, no one else could get it. Maybe one for each location. This could be Equipment, like Swords/Clothes/Etc. If you go to the Blacksmith with a certain type of sword, he’ll serve you first. Thematic nonsense.
-I think this SAS system would work best if the cards were revealed simultaneously, but resolved one at a time, in clockwise order. This would create the need for a start player, and it would give you incentive to be the start player (you go to the location first and get the best benefit, usually). This almost gives it a programmed-movement feel, except you always know the order. But you don’t know how many other people will go there.

•A Worker placement game where the board has a ton of locations (like say 30) and the players start with a bunch of workers, like 8 or 9 or something. On their turn, they place one of their workers on the board, but it never comes off, it stays there for the entire game. Once everyone has played all their workers, the game ends.

•A Worker placement game where the board is a grid of tiles, with space in-between the tiles. You place your workers in-between the tiles, and you either get to take the benefits of both adjacent tiles, or like you choose one of the two. Could be square tiles or hex tiles.

•A Worker placement game where your workers are dice, and you roll them at the beginning of your turn. Then when you place the dice on a location, you take the action associated with that location a number of times equal to the number on the die.

Wow, you really like worker placement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mechapython wrote:
Wow, you really like worker placement!

I really like games. I've just given worker placement a lot of thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.