Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: New player question: minimum age? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I just found a copy of this for $40, so I decided to pull the trigger. I am hoping to play with my son, who is only 7 at the moment. Given that this is a pure co-op, do you think this is possible with me helping him out a little, or is this way too complex for someone his age?

For reference, he has played games like Vs System 2PCG: The Marvel Battles and Force of Will with me, although he doesn't always play optimally.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not too complicated, especially since it's cooperative. He'll probably quickly get a handle of the different cards. I won't say if I think the game is SUITED for a seven year old or not, but suffice to say the graphics on the cards are quite, well, graphic. So if you (or your son) don't have problems with strong graphic violence (chainsaws through monsters etc), go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Gawain wrote:
Definitely not too complicated, especially since it's cooperative. He'll probably quickly get a handle of the different cards. I won't say if I think the game is SUITED for a seven year old or not, but suffice to say the graphics on the cards are quite, well, graphic. So if you (or your son) don't have problems with strong graphic violence (chainsaws through monsters etc), go for it!
I will give the cards a look over for sure, although we are fairly relaxed about that stuff so unless it's really gruesome it should be fine. Worst-cse, I can place something in the sleeve with the card to cover the imagery. Thanks for the heads up.

As for gameplay, I am glad to hear it's not too complex. I wanted to keep this a surprise for Christmas, but I doubt my own willpower will hold out that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not too worried about graphic cartoon imagery myself, but I know a lot of parents can be. I've played with a nephew and a niece, aged 12 and 15 at the time, and they had no problems catching on after a couple of rounds. The youngest was very quick to put the game on his Christmas wishlist, and nags me to play it every time he's around (it's been over three years now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very gritty, dark atmosphere, and there is a lot of blood splatterage imagery. If you are familiar with the subject matter of the video game, then consider this only slightly milder, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls