Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel "Cahwyguy" Faigin
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, for my birthday, my wife organized a Machiavelli game. We could only scare up a total of four people (including me) so we did the early campaign that started in 1385, and used fortresses. I played Milan, my daughter played Venice, Jeff played Florence, and Lauren played Naples.

For those not familiar with this scenario, it is a weird one. France and Austria are neutral. Venice starts out with little Venetian territory -- just Venice, Dalmatia, and Regata. Naples and Florence are pretty standard, and Milan is rich based on territory. This is also the only scenario that uses fortresses. We were using the Battleline rules (yes, my copy is that old) plus a few house rules.

I ended up winning the game, as Venice was weak and I was starting to march over them while Florence and Naples carved up the Pope and the southern islands.

What did I think of this scenario? I won't play it again. The rules don't covered fortresses well: are they fortified cities when they are used? Unclear. Do they earn city points? Unclear, but it makes no sense if they don't. It is also unbalances, for with lots of autonomous garrisons out there, there is little need for negotiation.

I'd still like to get a full 8-player balance of power game up. Oh well. Times have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.