Hide
6 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: BattleQuest: Monster Die? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Russo
msg tools
So, I just picked up my copy of Devastation and War this week. Played a couple of close matches with my friends, and they all seem to like it, which is awesome.

Last night I started digging into Devastation's BattleQuest mode. I would love to sit down and do some of the multiplayer dungeons sometime when we've had a chance to get used to how the game flows and can readily jump into characters we've been playing for a while.

But, I keep seeing references to a "monster die." Like, in Baroness Ancella's Crypt, in the Whispering Room, you have to fight the Dark Whisps. Looking at their stat blocks, the Flicker attack has a range of X equal to a die roll.

This may be a stupid question, but coming from many years of roleplaying and having to deal with anything from a d2 to a d100, what kind of die am I supposed to be rolling here? I can't find any sort of clarification in the BattleQuest book or the core rulebook. A d6 would make sense, since that is the kind most commonly associated with board games, yet I see Rexan's BattleQuest entry references a d3, which would maybe suit the smaller arena better?

Can someone please clarify for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
I think there's a stack of 6 cards in the box somewhere that, together, fill the role of a d6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, d6 will be the right thing. My suspicion is that they had a die in a previous version of BattleQuest, but dropped it in favor of the cards. And forgot to take out the references to the die in some monster descriptions.

Also, I think the cards actually work much better, since in a way, they're less random (if monster A has a "3", monster "B" can't have a "3" also, while with a die, that could happen). So you can actually consider different possible combinations of monster behavior, instead of having to consider all cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Russo
msg tools
That makes sense. Thanks guys. I hadn't really gotten around to digging through the BattleQuest cards yet, since it looked like they were all relevant to the big boss fights provided in the rulebook. Found those six buried in their midst. It makes a lot more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digi holic
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
yeah, d6 will be the right thing. My suspicion is that they had a die in a previous version of BattleQuest, but dropped it in favor of the cards. And forgot to take out the references to the die in some monster descriptions.
That is indeed the case, a die would actually increase the cost per box by a fair amount, while adding six cards was pretty much free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
digiholic wrote:
DomHiob wrote:
That is indeed the case, a die would actually increase the cost per box by a fair amount, while adding six cards was pretty much free.
What doesn't mean you CAN'T add your own dice to the game. I particularly use dice when playing the regular dungeon levels (so different creatures dont lose their options because of the cards) and the cards on Boss Rushes (specially when im GMing it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls