Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: SkepticMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: I listen to BBC Radio 6 MusicMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bed
Help me regain my sanity.

The following (blurry) image is from my 8 year old boy's puzzle book.

From gallery of batdog

However, nobody in the house can get the "correct answer", according to the book.

The book answer is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OFF

We think:
ON

Who is right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: SkepticMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: I listen to BBC Radio 6 MusicMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bed
BTW, the direction for each cog I get (in order) is as follows, based on L (anticlockwise) and R (clockwise):
L R L R R L R L R L R L R L L R R L
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I use Ikea Billy shelves for my games!Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Microbadge: I speak Japanese
I'm thinking that the book is wrong and you are correct. The simpler way to look at it is this:

Each connected gear will change direction.
Each crossed band will also change direction.
Each non-crossed band will maintain direction.
Counter-clockwise = on, clockwise = off.

Moving the handle, you get this sequence:
Counter->Clock->Counter->Clock->Clock->Counter->Clock->Counter->Clock->Counter->Clock->Counter->Clock->Counter->Counter->Clock->Clock->Counter.

The result should be Coutner-clockwise = On.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
Yeah the book is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: What has been seen cannot be un-seen.Microbadge: Ceiling CatMicrobadge: Basement CatMicrobadge: I was a microbadge once. I hated it.Microbadge: I are serious cat. This is serious microbadge.
The solution to this situation is obvious. You must build the cog/pulley engine in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Microbadge: Tree HuggerMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: KGS user
I get "ON" as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
You know what happened... the illustrator drew the drawings and handed them over to the company. They assigned them to Bob who was tasked with figuring out which answer was right. Bob did a bunch of them and at the end of a long day, Bob got this one wrong. The company had Jim double check Bob's work to verify that he got the right answer.

Jim did a good job doublechecking Bob's work, but quickly realized he was putting in a lot of work and every single time it turned out that Bob was right. He realized that it was a lot easier to skip all the hard work and just agree that Bob was right. After all, the worst thing that would happen is that it would get printed and six months down the line someone would complain about it. Would they really come back and chastise him about it? Would he even still be there by then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Microbadge: I kick ass!Microbadge: If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college.Microbadge: I randomly answer questions in contests just for the microbadge.Microbadge: Spellcheck HandicappedMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
I have done it about 5 times, and I keep getting OFF.

Are you counting the first cog as a cog or just the lever to activate it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Microbadge: Tree HuggerMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: KGS user
demondude777 wrote:

The drawing made me think that the lever is welded to the cog, so moving the level and moving the cog are one and the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Microbadge: I kick ass!Microbadge: If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college.Microbadge: I randomly answer questions in contests just for the microbadge.Microbadge: Spellcheck HandicappedMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
wmshub wrote:
demondude777 wrote:

The drawing made me think that the lever is welded to the cog, so moving the level and moving the cog are one and the same.
Correct...me too. There are 18 total. Thus if the first one starts counter, like it looks like the image is implying, then the last one would rotate clockwise...towards off.

It order for the first one to go the same direction as the last...there would have to be an odd #.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: Global Religious ToleranceMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Golden Reviewer
demondude777 wrote:

It order for the first one to go the same direction as the last...there would have to be an odd #.
You're very much missing that the cogs are not all directly connected, some are belt and some are cross belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Geosphere wrote:
demondude777 wrote:

You're very much missing that the cogs are not all directly connected, some are belt and some are cross belt.
I wasn't. I was taking that into consideration too, and still getting an off outcome.

I just went back and checked a couple times and now I am getting on over and over. I think I miscounted the ones that weren't crossed initially.

At this point:

External image

Edit: Maybe by "pushing to the left" means spinning to the left to cause the first gear to go clockwise. That definitely gets me an off outcome. Poor wording?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: I log my plays with SPLU!Microbadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: I speak proper EnglishMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
There are 18 cogs, with 17 interconnections.

teeth-teeth interconnections change the direction. Twisted band connections change the direction. Untwisted connections keep the same direction

So, let us define "clockwise" as 1, and anticlockwise as "-1". Let us define a change of direction operation as "multiply by -1" (If, in a pair of cogs, the first is anticlockwise, then multiplying by -1 makes the next cog 1 = clockwise, and vice versa) and a "no change of direction" as "multiply by 1"

There are 3 untwisted interconnections, leaving 14 connections that change the direction.

So the first cog is -1, and the last cog is -1 * (all the operations)

The order of those operations is unimportant, so it's -1 * (1^3 * (-1^14))

1^3 = 1

-1^2n (where n is a positive integer) = 1

so it's -1 * 1 * 1 = -1

The final cog is -1, or anticlockwise, so will point to ON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
Microbadge: Antonio Vivaldi fanMicrobadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge:  I don't give a rat's ass about popular cultureMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Cecilia Bartoli fan

These kinda of problems are so simple: just move your finger in the direction of rotation of each gear. If it touches another gear, that gear will be going the other direction. If it touches a rubber-band, just trace the rubber band line to the next gear.

Doing this, I get that the indicator will move towards OFF. So yeah, the book's answer is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I use Ikea Billy shelves for my games!Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Microbadge: I speak Japanese
kswingruber wrote:

These kinda of problems are so simple: just move your finger in the direction of rotation of each gear. If it touches another gear, that gear will be going the other direction. If it touches a rubber-band, just trace the rubber band line to the next gear.

Doing this, I get that the indicator will move towards OFF. So yeah, the book's answer is correct.

Okay. I followed this method, but got ON for my answer. In fact, I traced it so that you can check my work:

From gallery of thermogimp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: 2020 Ultimate SupporterMicrobadge: 2020 Herculean Supporter
External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I met my spouse playing gamesMicrobadge: Cortex Plus fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fan
I also get ON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
thermogimp wrote:
kswingruber wrote:

Okay. I followed this method, but got ON for my answer.
I think it depends on which way the first one spins. Are you spinning it clockwise or counter clockwise?

NM just saw your pic....try spinning it clockwise. I think the turn to left means it spins that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
demondude777 wrote:

I think it depends on which way the first one spins. Are you spinning it clockwise or counter clockwise?

NM just saw your pic....try spinning it clockwise. I think the turn to left means it spins that way too.
For sure, changing the direction of the first gear will change the answer. I just happen to think that the arrow to the left means spin the gear counter-clockwise since it's above the gear, but I can see where there may be confusion. They probably should have drawn a circular arrow to remove all doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I met my spouse playing gamesMicrobadge: Cortex Plus fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fan
thermogimp wrote:
demondude777 wrote:

For sure, changing the direction of the first gear will change the answer. I just happen to think that the arrow to the left means spin the gear counter-clockwise since it's above the gear, but I can see where there may be confusion. They probably should have drawn a circular arrow to remove all doubt.
I think it's pretty clear as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
I got ON also. I cannot see how pushing the first handle to the left could possibly spin the gear clockwise. The handle is attached to the center of the gear at a right angle, parallel with the surface of the gear; if you push the handle left, the top of the gear goes left, so the whole gear turns counter-clockwise.

The picture with the green trace path shows very clearly what happens. Thanks for that picture.

Would anyone like to explain how they see the first gear turning clockwise, because I cannot see it. Is it a perception thing, like the vase-or-two-faces optical illusion? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
thermogimp wrote:
kswingruber wrote:

Okay. I followed this method, but got ON for my answer. In fact, I traced it so that you can check my work:

From gallery of thermogimp
I agree with your green line. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Video Game Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 07 VGG posterMicrobadge: Xbox One fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 VGG challenge: beat 5 video games and played for 50 hours
I get ON as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
Microbadge: I won Isaac Bickerstaff's Chit Chat Thread of the Day Award!Microbadge: SubmarineMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: ThunderwearMicrobadge: I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm sitting here on the bench, I mean I'm sitting here on the Group W bench . . .
On.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Microbadge: Tonight's Forecast: Dark. Continued Dark tonight, turning to Partly Light in the morning. Microbadge: Trader Joe's fanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: University of California Irvine - ZOT!Microbadge: Platinum Folding@Home donator
demondude777 wrote:
The big arrow by the first gear suggests anti/counter-clockwise, so ON.

I did the same tracing thing with my mouse pointer. ON.

As said, there are 18 gears. A mesh or a figure-8 band reverses direction. An O-band maintains direction. With 18 gears, there are 17 connections. Minus the 3 O-bands that do nothing, leaves 14 reverses. Each pair of reverses maintains direction (parity), so 7 pairs (14) maintain the direction of the initial gear, counter-clockwise, toward ON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |